• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

templates

New Here ,
Sep 02, 2014 Sep 02, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I want to set up a project based on a template. I've set up a template file and when I open it I can see the first slide, based on the template. The next step for me is to insert a second slide, also based on the template., but it seems impossible. All I want is a project where my logo appears on every slide.

TOPICS
Getting started

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

If that's all you want, you need to investigate using Master Slides or Content Master Slides.

Basically, with templates, you create a template project (CPTL file extension) and you add the elements you want to be there for each project you create from the template. Then you create projects based on the template.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Rick 🙂 I've managed to do that now. Another question though - when I have my project open I can add slides with the template, but if I add quiz slides they don't use the template. How can I do that? Also, if I click 'Master Slide View' about 20 new slides are inserted, none of which use the template. I'm very grateful for your help! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello again

Are you by chance a PowerPoint user? If so, when you think of Master Slides, they work in a similar way as they do with PowerPoint. I use PowerPoint 2010. And in that version, I click the View tab and choose Slide Master. At that point, my thumbnail view on the left side (which is equivalent to Captivate's Film Strip) changes to show me nothing but all the different slides available to me in that view.

I'm not seeing where any specific Captivate version is mentioned. But I'm assuming you are using version 8. In this version, the Film Strip is replaced by the Master Slides very similar to what you see in PowerPoint. And, to exit that view PowerPoint offers a button in the ribbon that is labeled "Close Master View". Likewise, Captivate 8 offers a button that is similar and reads "Exit Master".

So my guess here is that you really aren't seeing slides being inserted into your project. Instead, you are seeing available "Content Master" slides that exist as part of the Master Slide View. If you exit that view, I'm guessing they will perform an abrupt disappearing act.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thinking Rick will not mind me popping in.  There is some difference between PPT and Captivate. Captivate has 'themes' and in a theme you have all the master slides (minimum = 6, because Quiz slides and Score slide need a master slide), the object styles and the skin editor. In Captivate 8 all included themes are responsive. The advantage of themes is that you can apply, change them even after the project has been created. Templates can add placeholders, but that is about it, and the problem is that you cannot apply a template after a project has been created, you have to create the project based on a template.

I am telling about this because of your sentence '...they don't use the template' and that makes me suspect that your idea of a template is not what it is meant to be in Captivate. Every slide in Captivate has to be based on a master slide. Master slides are part of a theme. No template needed at all for that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 04, 2014 Sep 04, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lilybiri & Captiv8r, I'm thankful for your help. Can I tell you what I've done? Then perhaps you can tell me if I'm doing the right thing?

I've started by opening a Template project, then from the 'Themes' I've selected 'Blank', then I've added my own graphics and logo. I've saved the file as a template. Then, to create my project, I've selected 'Create from template'. I''ve now been able to create new content slides that all contain the same graphics and logo, so I'm happy. I still can't quite understand why, when I add a quiz slide, it's not based on my design but I don't need quizzes for now so I'm not that bothered by it. I still also can't understand the exact purpose of the master slide as opposed to a template, but at least for now I'm creating the kind of projects I want so I'm ok with that for now.

Does that all make sense to you or are my projects a disaster waiting to happen? BTW, I'm using Captivate 8.

Many thanks

Gary

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 04, 2014 Sep 04, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Gary

Okay, I'll bite.

First, a parallel with Greek Mythology. There was a God named Janus. The God of Beginnings and Transitions. Depicted as having two faces. One looking forward and one looking backward.

So think of Captivate projects in the same way. For the "Beginnings" part, you have a template that is used to begin a project. It has certain things in place and it determines the project resolution.

For the "Themes" part, they assume the Janus role of "transitions". This is because even after a project has been set up initially, you are able to apply a Theme to it to set certain design characteristics. (Caption styles, Background images, etc.)

Master Slides are used when you have images or other elements that you need to propagate to multiple slides.

Hopefully that helps a smidge... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 05, 2014 Sep 05, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rick always provides wonderful metaphors, hope this has helped you.

If I understand you well, you do not need a template at all! Master slides seem what you need (hoping combined with object styles). But probably you only changed the Main Master slide, not the daughter master slides. Different types of quiz slides have their own daughter master slide, did you check them out in the Master slide panel?

You only need a template, that is my opinion, if you want to insert more than just graphics and static text on master slides that are used by the normal slides. One example: you need placeholders on individual slides that are not in the master slides, you want to insert text containers with dynamic text not on the master slides but on individual slides, you need specific advanced actions (not on the master slides) somewhere in the course, you have some slides that have to appear in a bunch of modules, that you cannot/want to create from master slides.

You'll not have problems if you use a template to base your projects on, but since they are less flexible than themes, wondering if you need them.

Lilybiri

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 06, 2014 Sep 06, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rick the world would be a better place if you wrote all the instruction manuals 🙂

To be honest there is still a lot I don't understand from the lexicon, for example what is a placeholder?

Having said that, I think that I'm beginning to get it. How's this? A template is a single slide, created as a template file, which determines the appearance of the project, eg I put a logo in the corner of a template and that logo will appear on all the slides in my project . So far so good?

A theme is a preset design that you can use for your template, and subsequently your project.

A theme has a set of master slides, eg one has an image on the left and text on the right, another is a quiz slide and so on. You can edit each master slide. When you're working on a project, you can use your preset master slides.

So, for very simple projects (which mine will be as I'll be using my projects inside Connect, for live classes) all I need is a simple template. I'm doing this, and the results look fine.

Gary

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, although I like Rick's metaphor a lot, you don't get it at all. Maybe Rick can explain even better.

A template is a file, not a slide, with an extension cptl. And I still do not believe that you need a template at all, even less now than before. If I'm not wrong you are simply confusing the main master slide with a template and those are totally different beasts.

Trying again, and I will avoid every strange word.

To start a file in Captivate, you do not need a template, but it will have the default theme applied to it. That means that you have already set up:

• Main master slide (big one at the left in the Master slide panel) that is used for some (but not all) daughter master slides, it can have a background image, logo, text, navigation, whatever you want to appear on all the daughter master slides that do use this main master slide. In the screenshot you see that the main master slide has a black banner on top, that is taken over on several daughter master sides, not on the Blank slide however
  • Daughter master slides: number depends on the theme, but you have at least 6 of them (only in the Blank theme). The question slides need to have their specific daughter master slides, you cannot escape from it. The default theme when you start with CP8 is the White theme, see this screenshot. After Introduction, Blank, Caption you see a lot of master slides that have 'placeholders' that you can fill in when adding a slide that uses that master slide; from 17 on you have the typical master slide for question slides and for the score slide. Each slide in a Captivate file has to use a master slide, no escape possible.

MasterSlide.png

• Theme colors used in the theme: you can easily switch from the default colors to another color palette, using the Theme Colors button under the big button Themes
  • Object styles (see Object Style Manager) for all possible objects, that are adapted to the theme (they share the same theme colors)
  • Skin editor: playbar that is adapted to the theme, borders that use the same colors, TOC set up in the same theme.

Why should you need a template? A template is a bunch of real slides, that are also based on a theme, but have more objects already in place, whether placeholders or not: you can have footnotes (that you don't want in the master slides), dummy slides to replace when using the template. And sorry now for the jargon, you can have a library with assets in a template: graphical objects, audio files, shared actions, variables.

Maybe you understand now why I feel like you are really confused. When you open a Word document, you are indeed opening a template (dot), in which styles, layout ... are set up. The term Template in Captivate has however a totally different meaning, it is a separate file. Create a new Captivate file, without bothering about creating first a template, because you'll have already all you need in place.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Lilybiri

I think I'm still as confused as ever - there's a mental block that won't go away, and I think it's connected to not wanting to use any of the daughter slides. I'm rejecting the idea of master slides because it's like I'm being dictated to - I want to create a simple template (and I understand that this is a file, not a slide) and create my own unique content, not based on the placeholders in the daughter slides. For example, I don't want to use the quiz slides, I want to create my own using the interactions ( and I've done this) I have a project on the go now where every slide has my own design and content, and it seems to be going ok. I'm just a little concerned that at some point I'm going to hit a problem due to doing something fundamentally wrong.

Is there any way you can look at my project? It doesn't look like I can upload files here.

Gary

PS If you feel ready to just write me off as a chump and go and do something better, I understand!  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You simply cannot escape from those daughter master slides. Sincerely I didn't like this at all when they appeared, was the one complaining the most (in the prerelease) it is just like in Powerpoint, an application that I truly dislike. And you cannot use the main master slide itself, you have to use the daughter master slides. You get the most freedom with the Blank theme (my default theme) and with a blank daughter master slide and that is probably what you did. But for question slides you have to use the dedicated question slides. Still, I'm repeating it like an old LP, you do not need a template at all!

I always create a custom theme myself, and start out with the Blank theme. Recommend you to do the same. Beware: if you want a responsive project you need to start with one of the included themes in CP8.

Be careful when creating custom question slides if you want to have scoring. I have been blogging quite a lot about custom question slides. Google for Lilybiri, you cannot miss my blog.

If it works OK, fine, but you have to know that you are using daughter master slides, maybe only the Blank one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've retraced exactly what I did:

File - New Project - Project Template - OK

Themes - Blank - Yes

Deleted all content - added my content (blue strip at top, logo)

File - Save As (X)

File - Close

File - New Project - Project from Template - (X) Open

Slides - Content Slide - add content- repeat

If I click Slides - Question Slide this slide does not include my blue strip & logo. I think this is what confused me originally, and I still can't see why it has to be like that but then I don't want to use these slides - I'm happy for now to add all my content to the content slides. I don't want quizzes and scoring as my content will be shown in a live class in Connect.

As you like metaphors I hope you agree that, although I don't know the names of the trees, I'm finding my way through the forest. But if there are any grizzly bears waiting for me, please warn me

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You don't need a template !!! You need a custom theme. Sorry, I give up, you seem really to keep stubbornly to create a template, and you don't know what a template means in CP.

It is not me who decided that every slide has to be based on a daughter master slide, and that quiz slides have their own daughter master slides.

Open a file, not from a template. Choose the Blank theme (you can mark it as the default theme). Customize the main master slide, AND all the daughter master slides that you will need in your project. Save that changed theme as a custom theme. For each new project you will have that custom theme. Leave those damned templates alone, you really don't need them at all. Believe me, I do have some experience with Captivate.

In 4 years I have been answering more than 18000 times on this forum. This is only the second time that I give up... must be my language.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lieve - Seems to me that Gary just needs a bit of coaching in order to understand the differences and nuances with things.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know Rick but he still is convinced that he needs always to use a template, whereas he only needs custom master slides from what he explains. Template has a totally different meaning within Captivate than in Word/Excel where each file is based on a template. In Captivate that is not really necessary, or better, the default set up (could be compared with a default template in Word/Excel) has everything he needs. Maybe he doesn't know Powerpoint, because this has been taken over from PPT.

That is why I explained about the Master slides. You can no longer have a project that is not based on master slides... another aspect he seems not to accept.

I'll leave the OP to you. Always difficult if someone comes with an 'idée fixe' as French say, and doesn't want to get it out of his head.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

'I know Rick but he still is convinced that he needs always to use a template, whereas he only needs custom master slides from what he explains.'

That is so not true Lilybiri!!! What did I say in my last post? 'I know I don't need a template.'

Can I just say thanks for your help, and lets close this now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know I don't need a template, but that's what I did and it seems to be working. In my last post I told you what I did, not what I plan to do in the future because I'm 'stubborn' and won't follow your advice. I could follow your advice now but it would mean starting again.

And Rick, just because I'm not using quiz slides doesn't mean my content has to be dry. There are the interactions, drag and drop, lots of things that can be put onto blank slides.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You don't have to start again... just save your theme in whatever project you are working on that is based on your 'template'. At that moment you'll have your theme available for any new project in the future, you do not have to create a project from template anymore. Themes are a lot more flexible. Rick will take care of you..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LOL, I wasn't suggesting your content was dry.

I was just trying to use an example that would hopefully illustrate one possibility for how Themes work.

Sooo, if you don't mind, I'll do a little copy/paste magick here and fill in with some observations.

File - New Project - Project Template - OK

Cool, you created a new template. Just like creating the blueprint I mentioned.

Themes - Blank - Yes

Okay, so you selected to use the Blank theme. So far so good.

Deleted all content - added my content (blue strip at top, logo)

At this point it might beg the question as to where you deleted and added the content. From the slide(s) or did you edit the Master Slide?

File - Save As (X)

File - Close

File - New Project - Project from Template - (X) Open

So far so good. You just created a project using the blueprint you designed. At this point the new project should look identical to your template. The main difference is that if you clicked Save, you are now saving as a .CPTX file and not a .CPTL file.

Slides - Content Slide - add content- repeat

If I click Slides - Question Slide this slide does not include my blue strip & logo. I think this is what confused me originally, and I still can't see why it has to be like that but then I don't want to use these slides - I'm happy for now to add all my content to the content slides. I don't want quizzes and scoring as my content will be shown in a live class in Connect.

You should be set then. But if you want to know why the Question slides don't follow what your color scheme has, we need to explore what (if anything) was done in the Master Slide view. Note that when you choose to display that view, you see a large "Primary" master slide and several "Secondary" or "Content" master slides. In the example screen capture below, I inserted a bright red rectangle on the large Master at the top. Because it is on the large Master, it also appears on all the Content master slides. But you also see that I inserted a bright blue rectangle on only one Content master. As you can see, there are "Content" masters for each Question type. So if you didn't add the colors and whatnot to the large Master, that's why you don't see them on any Question slides you insert.

tmp1.png

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At this point it might beg the question as to where you deleted and added the content. From the slide(s) or did you edit the Master Slide?

At this point there's only one slide which I assume is the master?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rick thank you that is very clear. I'm going to experiment now for a while and I'm sure it will all sink in.

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Cool. If you get stuck or have other questions, just pop in and we will try to help!

Happy Captivating... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Gary

Trying again with a different analogy to explain Templates VS Master Slides VS Themes.

***** Templates *****

Imagine you are a house builder. You have created a blueprint for creating a specific type of house. The blueprint is very much like the Template. As each new house is constructed, it follows the design specified by the blueprint. The size, the placement of rooms, etc.

Likewise, in Captivate a Template is used to create a project. Perhaps you know that all the projects you will create should be a specific pixel dimension. Maybe it'sx768. And for every project you create, you always want a Splash page that presents the Course title. Maybe the second slide always has the course synopsis stating what the learner will see and the third slide always has instructions on how to navigate the course. Then perhaps you will always follow that with a recording. After the recording, there will usually be a quiz to test the learner to ensure they absorbed what you intended.

Now, without Templates, you would have to manually create each of these slides, add the recording, add the questions, etc.

But if you create a Template, all these items are already in place. So when you create a project based on a template, all the slides and placeholders are present and just waiting for you to make some tweaks that make the new project unique.

Perhaps on that Splash page you have a placeholder object that would ultimately present the course title. That's what a placeholder does. You insert it into a Template slide and it will be changed by you down the line when you create the project based on the Template. For example, the Recording Slide placeholder just offers a "Click Me" sort of deal to commence recording. Likewise, with the Question Slide placeholder, you click it and poof! The Questions dialog appears.

***** Master Slides *****

Master Slides can be used at any point in the process. Either when you are creating a Template or later, after you have created a project.

For example, let's say that your boss wants you to add the text "This is a draft - Not for public consumption" to the bottom of each slide until it is ready.

You create a Master Slide and insert a Text Caption or a Smart Shape that contains this text. And you then make sure all the slides are associated with that Master Slide. Poof! Now all slides have that text. And if you need to change it. Perhaps to add a Copyright symbol and information, you just update the Master Slide and all the slides would then present copyright information. The neat part is you would only update it ONCE. In the Master Slide. All associated slides would then have the information!

***** Themes *****

Perhaps you have some information that is really "dry". Maybe SOX Comliance (Sarbanes-Oxley - Regulatory information). Nothing but page after page of pure text. Ugh!

If you created a project that simply had blank slides, then you added some Text Captions to each slide to present this, it would look really ugly in a hurry. This is where Themes come into play. You choose to apply a Theme and that dry information is now at least formatted a bit differently. The backgrounds change to match the Theme. The Text Captions change their look and their font. All because the Theme changed.

You know how in Microsoft Windows, you can change the whole look of Windows by entering that "Personalize" mode, where the Title Bar colors, The Text Elements and dialogs change based on what you selected? Think of Themes as being nearly the same. It's just that they apply only to your Captivate Project.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources