• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

After rendering as MOV, file won't play in Quicktime.

Sep 08, 2014 Sep 08, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I render files as MOVs or MP4s, the files will not play in Quicktime or VLC. When opened in Quicktime, a "Converting..." window pops up. After waiting for a long time, an error message shows up.

Any suggestions?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

This is nothing to do with Adobe software. This is because Apple has removed many codecs from the most recent versions of QuickTime and forces a conversion of these codecs on playback in the most recent versions of QuickTime Player.

Here is one thread on the Apple forums about this:

Why is quicktime forcing my videos to convert...

... and from Apple support:

OS X Mavericks: Some files may be converted when opened in QuickTime Player

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is nothing to do with Adobe software. This is because Apple has removed many codecs from the most recent versions of QuickTime and forces a conversion of these codecs on playback in the most recent versions of QuickTime Player.

Here is one thread on the Apple forums about this:

Why is quicktime forcing my videos to convert...

... and from Apple support:

OS X Mavericks: Some files may be converted when opened in QuickTime Player

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a 'best' way to export these files from After Affects?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 02, 2015 Mar 02, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Todd, I've read all the information in the links and I'm still none the wiser. I'm new to AE but am exporting (a short 2D to 3D project using Displacement Maps) from Adobe Media Encoder. No matter what format/codec combination I try or what video playback program I use the exported movie will not playback (it 'plays' it just doesn't move from the first frame). I can scrub through the file again in any program and the effect will display but not when I hit play. The same is true in either AE or PPro if I import the AE exported movie into that.

Can you help me. What am I doing wrong??

thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Install Quicktime 7 from Apple's website, the movies will not need to convert and you can save in whatever format you like. If you haven't owned a pro licence before you will need to buy one for $10. You can even default the os the open in 7 and not X if you so choose.

Quicktime also plays back movie files better anyway.

Todd really should have just said this in first place.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also you should export as proves 422 for 8bit and prores 4444 for 16bit. Then you would not get these issues in the first place.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you ever need 32bit render tiff or targa sequences.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much orchardpost30. Unfortunately I tried everything you suggested; Exported as Best / Quicktime / ProRes422 (for my 8bit image files) and tried to playback in Quicktime Player Pro 7.6. Same issue, I can scrub through and see the effect it's supposed to have when it plays but on playback it's doesn't move at all from the first frame. Ram preview doesn't playback either within AE for some reason.

It's driving me crazy!

Thank so much all the same. Any other suggestions gratefully received.

Software: AE CC 2014

Hardware Overview:

Model Name:    MacBook Pro

Model Identifier:    MacBookPro11,3

Processor Name:    Intel Core i7

Processor Speed:    2.6 GHz

Number of Processors:    1

Total Number of Cores:    4

L2 Cache (per Core):    256 KB

L3 Cache:    6 MB

Memory:    16 GB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

‌Hey Lulu, what makes up the project? Is it imported footage? All created in AE? 3d renders?

What version of AE? What Osx version?

thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

‌Have you rendered not using AME?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Howdy Martin, it's a project to add the illusion of 3D to a 2D static photograph. You import a layered PSD with two layers - one monochromatic mask and the base photo. You add a displacement map to the image, tweak a few settings, add a keyframe to either end, chnage parameters and you're done. Like this After Effects TUTORIALS - How to Make 2d Image to 3D using Displacement Map (After Effects & Photosh... Should be relatively simple and is up to the point when I export and play it back!

Have rendered with AE directly as as well as AME.

It's odd as I've kept fiddling today and have managed to create a project that works and plays back then the next one does not, same everything! Arrrgh!

Latest AE OS 10.9.5

thanks for taking an interest, I really need to nail this to develop the theory/concept I'm working on.

'Lu

Software: AE CC 2014

Hardware Overview:

Model Name:    MacBook Pro

Model Identifier:    MacBookPro11,3

Processor Name:    Intel Core i7

Processor Speed:    2.6 GHz

Number of Processors:    1

Total Number of Cores:    4

L2 Cache (per Core):    256 KB

L3 Cache:    6 MB

Memory:    16 GB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 03, 2015 Mar 03, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

‌I'm orchardpost too, seems to log me in in two different names.

If you upload the file to Vimeo or something will it play back then?

Send us one of your project files and we will test it this end.

martin@orchardpost.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 03, 2015 Mar 03, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Much appreciated Martin! I've emailed you a link to the files. I've checked out your work too, amazing showreels, thanks doubly for helping me out!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Mar 04, 2015 Mar 04, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please remove your correct answer star, it's embarrassing for all involved and makes a mockery of these forums.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Solved!

Thanks for your help Martin, put it down to my inexperience with animation!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

‌Hey Lulu, no sweat glad to actually help instead of giving you incorrect information and marking it as solved for brownie points!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply, however, I don't know what to do with these files then? I am exporting them from After Effects. In the past, they have been relatively small video files and Quicktime has been able to convert them.  But these ones won't even play on a program like VLC either. If I open them in VLC they don't play smoothly, they're choppy, playing maybe half a second at 10 second intervals. I've never experienced this before. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Todd this was not the correct answer and you really need to stop your campaign against Apple. It's looking like a tantrum now. It also does not help the widely perceived view by mac users on here that you have a chip on your shoulder when it comes to Apple issues.

It was a operational error by the user. The displacement was so subtle and spread over too long a time that the movement was not clear. Once you dragged the keyframes together over 3 seconds the movement is then obvious. This took me 10 seconds to work out and no conspiracy theory or toys thrown out my pram was needed.

As for your statement on Apple removing codecs, there is a counter argument which I'm sure Apple would make... You now don't need to keep installing various codecs, of which some caused system errors. You can now open any codec and yes wait for it to be converted... But it leads to a better user experience for the consumer market. If like me you want professional control you can install Quicktime 7, use Apple prores or Compressor.

That is the more subtle and correct answer!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 13, 2015 Apr 13, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Don't lol but my MOV file didn't move either when I opened it. Solution > View > half screen displays the Run button that I clicked to move the MOV file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines