• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Installing debug Flash "Pepper" player

Guide ,
Mar 04, 2014 Mar 04, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We're having some issues that only occur in the Flash "Pepper" player on Chrome. I don't see a debug player download that looks like it's for Pepper, but I need this to be able to find out why we're having issues. Can anyone point me to the download for this player?

Thanks in advance!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Amy,

We currently do not have a debug player available for PPAPI at this time.  This is something we're working on and hope to have addressed later this year.  If you believe you're seeing a PPAPI specific issue, I would like to recommend that you create a bug report at https://bugbase.adobe.com and on https://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/list.  Once added, can you please email ccampbel@adobe.com so I can follow up internally?

Thanks,

Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This issue sounds a lot like what we are seeing, but we are not seeing it specific to Win 7 https://bugbase.adobe.com/index.cfm?event=bug&id=3704229

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 05, 2014 Mar 05, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Amy.  That bug appears to be a Chrome issue and there is a Chromium issue logged here on it:

https://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=333024

From what I can tell from the bug notes, this should be fixed in today's Canary build (version 35.0.1872).  Could you give this a try to see if it helps?

https://www.google.com/intl/en/chrome/browser/canary.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Mar 07, 2014 Mar 07, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tend to try to stay on the same environment as we expect our users to have, but some of my teammates have tested this fix and say that it does appear to fix the problem. Still, the lack of a debug player is troubling.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 24, 2014 Mar 24, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Chris,

Has there been any update on a debug build of the PPAPI Flash plugin?  I've likewise got a PPAPI-only issue (though mine relates to navigateToURL not working in PPAPI).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 28, 2014 Mar 28, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We're looking to get the debug version of Flash Player out in beta in the next month or two.  Very excited to see that be released!

For the PPAPI bug, can you add something to https://bugbase.adobe.com and let me know the bug number so we can check it out?

Thanks,

Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 30, 2014 Mar 30, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Chris,

I've narrowed down the issue (and found a workaround).  It turns out that my code was attempting to set a Cache-Control header on the request, which causes Pepper Flash to silently fail to dispatch the request.  I've filed a bug as requested: https://bugbase.adobe.com/index.cfm?event=bug&id=3733024

I'm not sure whether it's failing because there's already a Cache-Control header set (and the new one is being appended rather than replacing the existing one) or whether it just doesn't like you setting one at all; either way, it ought to either throw an exception or silently ignore the attempt to set the header, rather than silently failing to dispatch the request.

In my case, the Cache-Control header bit came from sample code for a third-party library I'm using, but does not appear to actually be necessary for any browser/Flash combination I've tried (far from an exhaustive list, though), so I've simply removed it from my code entirely, which has done the trick.

-Paul

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 10, 2014 Jul 10, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Chris,

The system would not let me post a problem with Pepper Flash. Perhaps because I just joined the community?

Ever since Chrome 30, our video player has consistently crashed, but only with pepper flash. Switching to any other NPAPI player (debug or standard) does not reproduce this (Windows 32 & 64, OSX and linux).

I removed everything but the video essentials from our video watch page (flash player makes calls to freewheel ad swf and posts calls to omniture). 

http://video.adultswim.com/space-ghost-coast-to-coast/dev-player-page.html

The PPAPI plugin crashes most (but not) all page loads. We have fixed it internally by removing pepper flash, but this is not an option for our audience.

Any advice you could provide would be most appreciated.

Thank you,

Andrew Schillinger

Lead Engineer

Adultswim.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 09, 2014 Sep 09, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Andrew,

I am in a very similar position as you? How did you address your issues with pepper Flash?

Thanks,

SG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 11, 2014 Sep 11, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'm unable to reproduce the crash on the adultswim.com link above using the latest Chrome version with PPAPI Flash Player on my Lenovo running Win7 x64.  I tried a couple videos, too.

My guess is that this is related to the GPU drivers on your machine, particularly if you're using similar hardware across your office.

We describe how to disable Hardware Acceleration here:

Video playback issues

If this is the case, and updating to the latest drivers (sometimes OEMs lag for years behind the drivers available from ATI and nVidia themselves, so try those if your OEM isn't providing current versions of their customized driver payloads) doesn't resolve the issue, if you could send me the output of dxdiag, I can put in a request to blacklist the affected drivers, so that they're forced into software rendering mode until a newer driver version is available.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines