7 Replies Latest reply on Sep 11, 2014 10:32 AM by Peru Bob

Adobe Premiere Pro Video Play Issue

KnightJohn

This is probably not an advanced question, but I'm having a lot of trouble finding an answer.  I'm trying to use Adobe Premiere, and I'm importing my video.  In the first screen, the top left video play area that I import my raw video into, I find that I'm getting a very choppy play.  The choppy play is making it difficult for me to time my cuts.  The screen image will freeze while the audio continues to play.

When this happened initially, I assumed it was my hardware.  I was running what I considered to be a decent machine, but I figured I needed a better one.  So, I went and bought a better one.  Now I'm running a machine with a Quadro 3100 graphics card.  It's an I7, quad core, about 2.8 ghz if I recall correctly.  (It's supposed to be able to over clock or boost or something, but I don't know much about that stuff.)

Anyway.  Is there some sort of setting I should be using?  Any advice would be really, sincerely appreciated. 

• 1. Re: Adobe Premiere Pro Video Play Issue
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

To start, use the NEW ITEM process to be sure your video and editing sequence match

CS5-thru-CC PPro/Encore tutorial list http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1448923 has a link to learn about the NEW ITEM process, including a picture to show you what to do

Second, provide LOTS more details for further help

-Premiere Pro Video Editing Information FAQ http://forums.adobe.com/message/4200840

• 2. Re: Adobe Premiere Pro Video Play Issue
            Sarthak Girdhar Adobe Employee

Hi knightjohn,

Try this small step-

Go to File-> Project Settings-> General and choose the renderer to be "Mercury Playback Engine GPU Acceleration (CUDA)".

Hope that helps..:)

Thanks

Sarthak

• 3. Re: Adobe Premiere Pro Video Play Issue
              KnightJohn Level 1

Thank you for the response.

The renderer option is greyed out for me.  It doesn't let me select anything.  Currently, greyed out, it reads: Mercury Playback Engine Software Only

Is there a way to open this up so that I can select the GPU Acceleration option?

Thanks,
              JK

• 4. Re: Adobe Premiere Pro Video Play Issue
                Sarthak Girdhar Adobe Employee

Hi JK,

That option would be activated if you have the VRAM for your Quadro 3100 graphic card atleast 512 MB (in case you are using Premiere Pro CS6) and 1 GB (in case you are using Premiere Pro CC).

Also you need to have CUDA installed on your system.

• 5. Re: Adobe Premiere Pro Video Play Issue
                  KnightJohn Level 1

John T. Smith,

My apologies for not having provided more information.

• What version of Premiere Pro? Include the minor version number (e.g., Premiere Pro CS5.5 with the 5.5.2 update).

I'm using Adobe Premiere Pro 5.5, and I believe I just updated it to the 5.5.2.

I ran the update this morning, which is why I believe I'm using the 5.5.2.

• What operating system? This should include specific minor version numbers, like "Mac OSX v10.6.8"---not just "Mac".

Windows 7, and I believe it is Professional.

• What kind(s) of source footage? When telling about your source footage, tell us about the codecs, not just the container types. For example, "H.264 in a .mov container", not just "QuickTime".

These are Quicktime .mov files.  I'm afraid I don't have a lot of other information.  They are files that were transferred to my computer, but I wasn't around when they were initially done.

• If you are getting error message(s), what is the full text of the error message(s)?

No error message.

• What were you doing when the problem occurred?

The problem is consistent.

• Has this ever worked before?

I've never seen it play smoothly.

• What other software are you running?

Just typical Microsoft Office programs, and Chrome, and maybe Explorer.  But I rarely run anything else while I'm attempting to work in Premiere.

• Do you have any third-party effects or codecs installed?

To my knowledge, no. 

• Tell us about your computer hardware. Be especially certain to tell us about third-party I/O hardware (e.g., AJA, Matrox, Blackmagic, MOTU).

I'm using the MSI WT Series WT60 2OK 3K-615US 15.6-Inch Laptop (Black)

I do not know how to use this.

• Does the problem only happen with your final output, with previews, or both?

It only happens to the raw footage and timeline footage.  The output is fine, assuming I can find the correct place to make the cuts.

• 6. Re: Adobe Premiere Pro Video Play Issue
                    KnightJohn Level 1

Sarthak,

I very much appreciate your responses; I can't express my gratitude enough.  At the risk of asking too many questions here, do I need to do anything specific to get my VRAM to 1GB?  And do I need to download CUDA?  I did a quick google search, but I didn't find it anywhere to download.

My apologies for asking so many questions.

Thanks,
                    JK

• 7. Re: Adobe Premiere Pro Video Play Issue
                      Peru Bob Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The CUDA hack:

enable CUDA ?

vRam is  the physical RAM that is part of your video card.  The only way to change the vRAM is to replace the video card.