Exit

so far so good...but 2 persons on same project

New Here ,
Aug 03, 2007 Aug 03, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear all,
Greetings!!!

So far i've been working individually to create a help file. But now, i've generated a Help file for a project which consists of 5 modules.......I've started with one module and included all the generic concepts also (applicable for all the modules).....The second module is allotted to another TW... However, My PM wants to have a single Help file..we both of them need to work on the same Help File simultaneously...........i've not exprienced such a situation.....We both are new to RH....What am i supposed to....I've just gave the source file to her...(which i've done so far) and asked to her to proceed with her modules........i thought lateron i can import the relevant htm files..........but what about the images.....i'm justing pasting the screen shots in RH File without naming them as there are lot....images ofcourse are named sequentially.........but when both of us work simultaneously what would happen...when i import her topics...it would be a mess i suppose..........i think i need a lot of home work here.......and would take a lot of time to do the research..........Pls guide me how should we proceed on this with ease....

Thankz in advance......(eagerly waiting for ur responses).....

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Deleted User
Aug 07, 2007 Aug 07, 2007
Check the following Link . It may give you a clue to the invalid html tag problem.

Hope this helps,

Brian

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Aug 03, 2007 Aug 03, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are some options.

The first is that you set up source control and you then check out whichever files you want to work on. There are topics on the Adobe site about that. Also there are some links to them on my site.

After that it gets a bit more tricky. You cannot both work on the same project at the same time. Yes your colleague can work on a copy and you can import her work but how will she create links to topics you add after her copy is created? How will you create links to her new topics? Then there are index and TOC issues. Remembering which topics she has added and amended. There will be tears.

What you could do is consider merged webhelp (or HTML help). You would have to split the project into separate content areas that you both work on. You will have two outputs but to the user they will appear as one.

There's a topic on my site about merged webhelp.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 06, 2007 Aug 06, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for ur inputs peter....let me try this out...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter,

I went through your site and read about Merged WebHelp. However, i'm creating a HTML Help. Based on the instructions i created one sample project but i'm not getting the desired output...when i merge them, i'm getting a message stating that the file contains an invalid HTML tag.

Shall i send the sample project offline...i spent more than 2 days to get the output...but in vain.....Hope you would definitely help me....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did point out the topic on my site was about merged webhelp. With CHM help, you don't need the parent with a redirect. Instead your parent will be whichever project you designate.

The parent will have a pointer to the child projects. When you set up merged webhelp you use one tab of the screen that comes up when you click the diamond shaped icon, for CHM help you use the other tab.

Merged CHM help is not something I normally work with so get it set up following the above and the online help. Then if it does not work, post back here with specifics.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

:-(

I've created the Merged HTML Help. I'm able to view the final ouput, but with the below-mentioned error:

The file:............:\project.chm::/project.hhc contains an invalid HTML tag.

Has any one faced this situation...Pls help me.

The steps which i followed was:

1. Created Main Project
2. Created Sub Project
3. Opened the Main Project>TOCTab>Click Merged Project Icon>>selected HTML HELP TAB>Selected the chm file of the sub-project>then compiled the file

Note:
I'm sure that i created the project name and title without spaces....the hhc. file does not contain any spaces.

What i'm i missing in it....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check the following Link . It may give you a clue to the invalid html tag problem.

Hope this helps,

Brian

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Brian.Mccaffery ...Thanks a lot!! Y'day evening i went with a gloomy face, thinking that i should try various options today to find out a solution..........but with ease i could it....I really had a very good morning today.....

As stated in the link, i just placed the merged project (chm file) inside a book in the TOC and then complied it.....it worked out well..

Thankz once again.......:-))

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Glad the link sorted the problem out for you.

I remembered seeing this reported before, so it only took a minute to find the link to Peter's solution.

Have a good day,

Brian

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp