• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign won't save or undo - resetting preferences doesn't help (prob reoccurs shortly af

New Here ,
Jul 20, 2012 Jul 20, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Problem:

At some random point after working with the program for a couple of hours it won't let you save anymore and it won't "undo" a step anymore. I have seen no link between something I did with the program and the reoccuring of the problem.

I reset the preferences which solved the problem temporarily, but after a couple of minutes I was again unable to undo a step or save.

Of course, I can export the document as a pdf and thus create a copy of it so that my work is not lost, however, that's not a real solution.

The version we use is Adobe InDesign CS5 on Mac OS X. I can give you the exact details if you'd need them.

What can I do to solve the problem - or where exactly does the problem lie?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First is InDesign patched to 7.0.4?

Do you have any third party plugins? A font manager?

Does the problem persist if you create and use a new user account?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 21, 2012 Jul 21, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you specify what you mean with all that? I'm really not an expert... sorry!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hold down the Cmd Key while choosing About InDesign from the InDesign Menu. What is the full version number listed in the upper left? It should be 7.0.4.533. If it isn't, run Help> Updates... and if that says you are up to date, then you'll have to download the patch manually from http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=5004

Do you have any plugins installed in InDesign that are not from Adobe. Plugins perform specialized tasks or extend the capabilities of the program. Many organizations like newspapers and magazines use specialized plugins to handle ad placement and tracking, for example. Font managers also tend to install auto-activation plugins so that fonts are loaded automatically if they are not already installed when a file is opened. These can be a big source of problems.

Other software not related to ID can also interfere with proper operation. We see reports of trouble with MacKeeper and similar utilities. Do you have anything like that running?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 17, 2013 Dec 17, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to add my 2c – I have the same problem (newest patch of ID, German, OSX 10.9) and it seems to occur rather regularily after I insert images from bridge or finder in InDesign. Resetting ID didn't work at all and yesterday, while working on the Notebook at a client it happened about 4 or 5 times a day, as inserting images into a document is, well, a pretty *basic* function of a design software :-D.

From IndesignSecrets I gathered that Adobe seems to be aware of this - not all too new - problem and a kind of extension is out there to fix it. I'll try to fight my way through L1-Support in order to try & get one.

If you allow me to vent a bit of frustration at this point: Along with the rather problematic update from single to team license and Photoshop CC not running for some months on my MacPro until something was troubleshot (forcing me to work with CS6 while paying for CC), CC isn't really wowing me too much from a customer perspective right now. I still strongly believe in Adobe, but this was too much bad stuff in too short a time. There's much promise in the new ideas floating around, but it doesn't seem to form a coherent whole (Edge/Dreamweaver/Muse... Cloud and Acrobat.com...) and at the same time the basic software seems to get more, not less, buggy with each iteration. Which runs against the gamut of my experience with most other software these days, which tends to get smaller and smarter and more stable with each upgrade.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 01, 2015 Feb 01, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks this fixed my problem!

Hold down the Cmd Key while choosing About InDesign from the InDesign Menu. What is the full version number listed in the upper left? It should be 7.0.4.533. If it isn't, run Help> Updates... and if that says you are up to date, then you'll have to download the patch manually from http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=5004

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it only with the keyboard shortcuts, have you tried using the Menu Items, I know it sounds simple and apologies if it's too simple, but are they grayed out in the Menus?

I only ask because it happens me periodically - I have to go to File>Save and then everything works as normal.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can neither use the short cuts nor will it save or undo if I go up to the Menus...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 17, 2013 Dec 17, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem and the only way seems to manualy quit ID with system tools (cmd+alt+esc) After relaunching, the last docs are recoverd and for the most of the time only a few things are missing.

It is annoying and frustrating and I hope Adobe fix this problem soon...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 27, 2013 Dec 27, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been dealing with this issue for months! It happens more often each day. Today my ID goes into this mode after I move a single object on the page. I can't take this anymore. I worked on CS5.5, and installed the new CC, but it's happening in the new program as well. I've reset my preferences, I've restarted my comp. I've started fresh new documents.

And... it happened on my work computer CS5. (I used to think the deal was in my home computer) Now I think it's the InDesign. Maybe it's me, who's doing something wrong.

I've never felt so helpless with Adobe Program, this is the first time I can't find a solution.

Please help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OS? Clean install or Upgrade?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter,

I'm working in OS X Version 10.9.1. Upgrade. Do you think that's what's causing the problem?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It certainly could be. ID is not receptive to OS upgrades after installation (and even after reinstalling there's no guarantee that it will run on an upgraded OS).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What should I do? I can't work. I have to do the IDML trick every 3-5 minutes. Is there an Adobe service that I can take my computer to?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would uninstall, run the cleaner tool (CS Cleaner Tool for installation problems | CCM, CS6, CS5.5, CS5, CS4, CS3) then reinstall.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you so much, I will try this

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 12, 2014 Sep 12, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is a problem with a corrupted font. After nearly an entire day working remotely with my company's IT professional as well as doing my own research and trouble shooting, I realized that what was causing my file to go from a normal, saveable document was a shift to a certain font weight that did not actually exist anywhere on my computer. I suggest temporarily switching all of the text on your document to a standard font like Helvetica or Times and saving (it should work!), then changing back to the font(s) you were originally using section-by-section, saving with each change, and then when it freezes you will know which font caused the trouble. Then delete that sucker from your document and move on in peace!

Hope this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 22, 2014 Sep 22, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, same thing here

At seemingly random intervals InDesign loses the ability to UNDO. You also cannot UNDO after a save. Maybe every time InDesign does an autosave it is acting like it hard saved it, thus removing the ability to UNDO. So really they need to solve the UNDO after a save problem, then i think that will solve the new problem. Maybe.

Oh ya, sometimes text just disappears for no reason. All you have to do is zoom out and back in for it to reappear. Really though, how annoying is that?

This is all on top the fact that we are now paying a monthly tax to use the busted software. Not Cool.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 11, 2016 Sep 11, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

OK if this happens to you, click on your creative cloud icon at the top of your screen-it looks like a twisted pretzel. Then download the Indesign Update. I just did this and now I can save and undo-PRAISE THE LORD! I have a major project I am working on!

I hope this works for you too!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines