Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

WebHelp TOC character corruption for Eastern European languages

Explorer ,
Aug 07, 2007 Aug 07, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Attempting to build Czech WebHelp using RH X5.0.2. Tried solving character corruption issues in TOC issues by editing !SSL!\WebHelp\whxdata\whtdata*.xml in Notepad and saving as Unicode. Worked fine when displaying help in Firefox, but for IE6 the TOC did not display at all.

Anyone with experience building WebHelp for Eastern European languages (or any non Western European language)?

Best regards,

Torgeir

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Aug 08, 2007 Aug 08, 2007
Hi again

Problem solved by our skilled Chinese and Czech contacts :-)

Edit the corrupted characters in \!SSL!\WebHelp\whxdata\whtdata0.xml and similar files (in Notepad), and change the encoding from "windows-1252" to the relevant code (1250 for Czech). Then save it as ANSI, not Unicode.

(additional info from our Czech contacts)
Moreover, it seems that all of the XML files in the whxdata folder need to be
fixed in the same manner - they contain language data for the index and search
as well...

Votes

Translate

Translate
Aug 08, 2007 Aug 08, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Found some advice posted in a previos thread by Harvey which may help:

"Things to check:

Browser setting to allow ActiveX.
Browser setting not to block popups.

Output files are present in whdata, whgdata and whxdata directories.
If you don't have those files, check RH WebHelp setting to generate DHTML, Applet. Navigation pane needs DHTML. Not sure about Applet, but it has benefits."

Hope it helps,

Brian

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi again

Problem solved by our skilled Chinese and Czech contacts :-)

Edit the corrupted characters in \!SSL!\WebHelp\whxdata\whtdata0.xml and similar files (in Notepad), and change the encoding from "windows-1252" to the relevant code (1250 for Czech). Then save it as ANSI, not Unicode.

(additional info from our Czech contacts)
Moreover, it seems that all of the XML files in the whxdata folder need to be
fixed in the same manner - they contain language data for the index and search
as well, apart from the TOC. Also, whfform.htm, whiform.htm, whskin_tbars.htm in the WebHelp folder need to be fixed by inserting the following line into the
<head> section:

<meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html; charset=**">

(for example, ** is windows-1250 in case of Czech)

Hope this can be of use :-)

Torgeir

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Very useful, Torgeir, because the theory worked for me for Japanese. The difference is that Japanese is working just fine with the UTF-8 character set that is declared by default in the wh*data*.xml files (I'm using FlashHelp...), and I keep the XML files saved in UTF-8 rather than ANSI. I hadn't delved into the wh*data folders, so I didn't really know what was in them and was trying to figure out how to get the TOC, glossary, and index entries to show up in Japanese. How out of order the index and glossary entries are I don't know (since you can't alphabetize a non-alphabetic system...), but we have some Japanese speakers around here and can work it out. Thanks again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp