Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Error on page message

New Here ,
Aug 08, 2007 Aug 08, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi.
I am trying to get a Captivate 2 movie to play in my RoboHelp system. I publish the cp file (I've tried publishing to a number of different locations - all result in the same error) and then I right click on the HTML file in the RoboHelp X5 Project folder. I get a successful message. I add the file to my TOC, and when I generate and view the result, I click open the file and get the message "error on page" - I remember there was some issue with the order in which things needed to happen in Captivate... I'm wondering if I'm doing these steps in the wrong order. Please give me the exact steps for importing a Captivate 2 into RoboHelp.
I don't see additional .swf files either (so some solutions I've read don't work.)
Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Nancy

Not sure why you needed to begin a new thread for a question you already asked, but whatever.

In the other thread you mentioned that you had looked at the link I provided? I'm guessing you tried it and it failed for some reason?

Can you please advise as to exactly what you have done in trying to make the Captivate content work with RoboHelp? I'm trying to figure out where my article may have failed you, as its intention is to make this a more straightforward process. As you are still having issues, I seem to have failed somewhere along the way.

If you can provide some missing detail, I can probably assist you better.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rick.
I started a new thread because I wasn't getting any responses... so I figured I might get your attention or someone else's. What Captivate 2 generates for me is the following file extensions:
breeze-manifest.xml
.htm
.swf
_BDMetadata.xml
standard.js
As I don't get the two .swf files you mention in your article, it doesn't solve my problem.
I have tried publishing from .cp to the "tutorials" folder in my .xpj folder, I have tried copying the files into the "tutorials" folder in my .xpj. I have tried right clicking and choosing Import from the HTML project folder in RoboHelp. I have tried r.clicking the "tutorials" folder in the HTML project folder in RH and choosing Import.
I've tried every configuration I can think of...
Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi again Nancy

Please don't take this the wrong way, but from what you are describing, I'm thinking you may not have a full understanding of all the Captivate output files and what you may or may not need. So for the first part of this reply, I'm going to do my best to provide explanations.

You say you aren't seeing the two .SWF files mentioned in the article, I'm guessing that you have opted to create a single .SWF output from Captivate. This is done by clicking Project > Skin... > Borders tab and DE-selecting the "Show Borders" check box. The trade off with this approach is that if you have playback controls enabled for your project, they move up and cover part of your Captivate presentation.

You are seeing at least one .SWF file in your mix. This should be your Captivate movie.
You also list the following files:
breeze-manifest.xml
_BDMetadata.xml
These files are normally produced when you click Project > Preferences... > Preferences tab and have the option labeled "Publish Adobe Connect Enterprise metadata" selected. I think this option is selected by default and you need to turn it off if you don't want those files. You wouldn't want those files if you aren't using Adobe Connect (Formerly known as Breeze).

This leaves the final two files.
The file ending in .HTM and the standard.js file.

The .HTM file would only be used with RoboHelp if you were linking the Captivate output as its own HTML page. If you are directly inserting the Captivate .SWF inside an existing RoboHelp topic. The standard.js is needed in order to display the content if you are using the .HTM page that Captivate created. Again, this isn't needed if you are directly inserting the Captivate content in an existing RoboHelp topic.

So the looming question here that I see is to ask: Does the Captivate play fine before you try to bring it into RoboHelp? If it does, then an issue is being created by the manner in which you are trying to get it into RoboHelp. If it doesn't, then you have an issue with your Captivate output that needs to be addressed first.

From what you are describing, you are probably missing the standard.js file. I'm further guessing that you simply gave up on the article I pointed you to because you didn't see two different .SWF files and you just assumed the rest wouldn't apply in your situation.

Just in case it will help, here is the very brief skinny on how to get Captivate into RoboHelp. There are two approaches. One assumes you just want the Captivate movie in an existing topic. The other assumes you just want to place the Captivate files in the RoboHelp project and link to them.

For an existing topic, place your cursor where you want the Captivate movie to be inserted. Click Insert > RoboDemo. Navigate to where the .SWF file lives and select it. Badda bing badda boom, it's inserted in the topic.

To bring the Captivate files in where you can link to them, right click the folder where you want them inserted. Navigate to the HTML page that Captivate created. The file with the .HTM extension. Select it and it should import into RoboHelp. Add the Standard.js file to baggage. Link to the page as desired.

Hopefully something here helps... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 09, 2007 Aug 09, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rick,
Thanks for the brief explanation of the files. I should have mentioned that I converted this file from Captivate to Captivate 2... so that may explain some of the problems I'm having and some of the defaults that I have set. I actually did read your article fairly carefully, but you are correct in that I don't know that it really applies to the specific problems I'm having.
I only want to be able to link to the file, not insert it into an existing topic. When I import, I get the standard.js, but I don't have a "baggage" file... so not really sure where I'm supposed to put it. Is the baggage file an automatically generated file that isn't being created for me?
Also, to answer your looming question, YES, my Captivate file runs fine when I publish and say "View Output."
Your steps:

To bring the Captivate files in where you can link to them, right click the folder where you want them inserted. Navigate to the HTML page that Captivate created. The file with the .HTM extension. Select it and it should import into RoboHelp. Add the Standard.js file to baggage. Link to the page as desired.

Are EXACTLY what I've done...as I mentioned, I get a success message after importing them. So the only thing I can figure is that even though the standard.js file gets imported, it needs to be elsewhere... please explain the "baggage" file more. Is the standard.js not supposed to be in the same folder as the .htm?
Thanks,
Nancy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi again Nancy

Thanks for bearing with me.

Okay, here's the skinny on Baggage. (assuming here that you are using RoboHelp HTML - Are you?)
Your RoboHelp application is divided into two different sections. On the left side of the application is the Project Explorer. On the right is the WYSIWYG editor where you make changes to your topics.

In the Project Explorer pane, you should find a pseudo folder named "Baggage Files". It's fairly near the bottom of the list. What you do is to right-click the folder and import the file. But there is an issue oftentimes with importing JavaScript files such as standard.js. If you hit this issue, the file will *APPEAR* to import, but will not actually be listed in this area. If you hit this snag, you will have to wrangle RoboHelp HTML into accepting the file. This is all explained at this link. Scroll to the bottom of the page and look at snippet number 2.

Indeed, the standard.js file should be placed in the same folder as the Captivate project.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rick,
Thanks for getting back to me so quickly. Yes, I am using the X5 v of RH HTML. I was able to import the standard.js into the baggage>tutorials folder (but not directly into the Baggage Files folder.) The rest of my .htm tutorial files are in a sub-folder of the Project>HTML Files folder titled Tutorials. Are you saying that my htm file needs to be in the Baggage>Tutorials file instead?
Would it be at all possible to send you a scaled-down version of the RH file to take a look at? I've taken your steps but still get the "error on page" message.
Thanks,
Nancy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Hi Nancy

Sure, send it along! My address is rstone75 (at) kc (dot) rr (dot) com.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp