• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Deploy WebHelp on application server?

Community Beginner ,
Aug 21, 2007 Aug 21, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Our WebHelp needs to be 'deployed' to an application server (JBoss, WebSphere, etc) and I'm told I nee dto wrap it in a .war file. All new to me. Has anyone done this or can someone point me to some background and instructions?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your developers should be able to tell you what software is available to you to do that in your company. Otherwise give them a zip file and let them do it.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They have it all wrong: they need to "wrap it in a .war file" (that's a .zip file for UNIX). Our release engineering folks do that as part of the application build. When the users open the application the first time, the app "unwraps" the .war file for them.

"They" are the ones who should be doing the heavy lifting on this one!

Good luck,
Leon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Aug 28, 2007 Aug 28, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello factormax -

Leon "MergeThis" is right.

We deploy our app via a WAR file and it includes all of the Help files. I designed the Help to reside in a separate subdirectory of the application and the app calls-to-help point to that relative location. Only a single XML file gets updated during deployment.

I ZIP the generated Help project and give it to the build manager. He extracts/inserts into his build environment, builds the app and deploys as a WAR file.

Gen your Webhelp to a local drive, ZIP it up and give it to the build team.

Regards,
GEWB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Aug 29, 2007 Aug 29, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A further detail:

The developer explodes the zip file into the package that becomes the war file. So in my case, when I update help files, the application developer prefers to get the whole new package zipped up (with a time/date line embedded in the launch topic).

Harvey

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yikes! All this talk about wars and explosions!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
And launching, too.
h

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp