• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to edit a selected area of a photo in Lightroom?

Community Beginner ,
Sep 21, 2014 Sep 21, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everybody. I just don't manage to figure this out - how can I edit a selected area of a photo in Lightroom 5? I thought my answer was the Adjustment Brush, but this doesn't seem to be the case. Here is what I want to do:

I want to reduce the saturation of a specific colour (blue), but only on a selected part of the photo, not for the whole photo. Let's say I have a blue circle on the top, and another one on the bottom - I want to reduce the saturation only of the first one. If I choose the Adj. Brush with saturation set to -100 and use it in the selected area, it reduces the saturation of all colours in that area and I want it to work just for one colour.

Any help will be appreciated, thanks in advance.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could use a variation of this technique - it might work- depends on your image.   Lightroom Quick Tip: Removing Rosacia - YouTube

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Rikk Flohr, but unfotunately this technique is not suitable for my image. The most suitable thing would be just to free-hand select the desired are of the photo and then edit it with the HSL tab - that would be perfect! And sounds like a simple thing to do, I think, but I cannot manage to find how to to this. I don't want to believe that it's not possible with LR.

So let's put it another way - I want to reduce the saturation of the blue colour via the HSL tab, but only for the top half of my image! Simple, right? Help is still needed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At this time, selective edits of this nature require a pixel-based editor like Photoshop. Sorry.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

accobb wrote:

Simple, right? Help is still needed.

I think Adobe is aware we'd all like all adjustments to be localizable, but doing so is not "simple" given Lr's design (paraphrasing Eric Chan of Adobe). I mean, it's simple in a layers-based app, like Photoshop, but not Lr, due in part to performance considerations, and maybe other things.. If you want to weigh in for HSL, you can do it here:

http://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/hsl_controls_for_adjustment_brush_and_gradient...

Note: with a combination of colorization, white balance, and saturation adjustment, there is some limited capacity to "remix" local color.

~R.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I see then, localized editing sounded for me like one of the most natural things to do during the edition process, but apparently LR cannot do that. Thank you very much for the quick replies! In the end I did my job the "lame" way - I split my photo in two, edited the HSL in the top half, and then joined the two parts again. Hopefully selective HSL will be available for LR in the near future, as it's not completely impossible, if I understood correctly.

Have a nice week!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

accobb wrote:

So I see then, localized editing sounded for me like one of the most natural things to do during the edition process, but apparently LR cannot do that. Thank you very much for the quick replies! In the end I did my job the "lame" way - I split my photo in two, edited the HSL in the top half, and then joined the two parts again. Hopefully selective HSL will be available for LR in the near future, as it's not completely impossible, if I understood correctly.

Have a nice week!

Fingers crossed for Lr6..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"but apparently LR cannot do that."

LR can do it (local editing) and do it very well, however we need to learn how to drive the adjustment brush to get the best from. And adobe are not so silly to have LR do everything as they would still like us to have PS as well . I have to admit I haven't really understood the question so others wouldn't have also. Maybe accobb could post a photo or three to show us.

The more I learn about LR the more there seems to be learnt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 22, 2014 Sep 22, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

~IanB~, you are right that LR can do local editing with the brush, but here we discussed local HSL editing, and that is something LR cannot do at the moment. Changing the hue, saturation or luminance of a specific color in a specific spot of the photo and not for the whole photo, that was what the question was about. Hope you got it now. And maybe you are right that Adobe wants PS to come into use more often and that's the reason for not including this option in LR, despite the fact that many users have requested it over the years.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 07, 2018 Apr 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Learn how to understand the meaning of questions more, because you have a clear problem with that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 05, 2021 Jun 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I ran into this issue as well. I had a kitchen island that I needed to tone down the blue but there was a blue chair in the background that needed to stay blue. Using the brush tool in LR was going to be time consuming because I would have to work around bar stools that were in the picture over the blue area I need to tone down. The solution was to do what you are saying, select and area and only adjust the HSL on that selected area. The worksround is to open in Photoshop, select the area you want to adjust (the selection - in my case - didn't need to be exact and I feathered the selection) and create a new layer of that selection. Then, with the new layer selected, open the Filter > Camera Raw Filter and you can then adjust the HSL for that layer. Hope that helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 05, 2021 Jun 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Deleated, my bad.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines