Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Unable to delete temporary files

Aug 27, 2014 Aug 27, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am running Acrobat Reader 11.0.0 in a XenApp 6.5 Environment on Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1.  We have recently started using Mandatory profiles and the option set to delete cached profiles on logoff.  We have started noticing that some of the profiles are not being deleted because of files that are locked by the system.  The files are named Z@*.tmp.  I have done some research into the issue and have found an article on your website that mentions this issue specifically:

http://blogs.adobe.com/dmcmahon/2011/11/08/acrobatreader-tmp-files-left-behind-in-temp-folder-after-...

Please note this article is dated 11/2011 and seems to refer only to XP, NT, and 2003 server.  Also at the bottom of the article it states the following:
Following our testing we have discovered that the issue does not occur in Windows 7, or Windows 2008 Server.  It seems that the updated versions of Windows provide a solution to this issue.  We would therefore recommend updating your OS if possible.

I have found that this is not that case and this issue seems to remain, at least in my configuration.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Feb 28, 2016 Feb 28, 2016

Attention all, the fix is finally here.  I opened a ticket with Adobe last week on this issue and they finally got back to me with an answer.  The issue was corrected in last month's (January 2016) release of Reader 11.0.14.  I already got the release and tested it thoroughly and it works as perscribed.  Hurray!

Thanks to everyone for their contributions to this thread.  I followed this thread miticulously in an effort to resolve my issues, obviously to on avail... it's a shame that this issue we

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 141 Replies 141
Aug 28, 2014 Aug 28, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We are having the same issue and profiles cannot be cleaned up until reboot..  We have uninstalled Adobe 11.0.08 and gone backwards to 10.1.4 to test and see if this fixes the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Aug 29, 2014 Aug 29, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let me know if this fixes your issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Aug 28, 2014 Aug 28, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We are seeing the same issue with our Citrix 6.0 servers running on Windows 2008 R2.  I hope adobe fixes this soon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 11, 2014 Sep 11, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We are also experiencing this issue......

Occurred : After upgrading from Reader 11.0.07 to 11.0.08

Issue :

When a user logs off, their roaming profile is normally deleted on the Citrix server. However, Adobe Reader s leaving a number of Z@R****.tmp files in Appdata\Local\Temp\<number>\ that are locked and cannot be deleted until the server is rebooted. This is preventing profiles from being deleted properly upon logoff.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 11, 2014 Sep 11, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have not performed the work arounds as I do not want to lose print quality, and I feel Adobe need to fix it anyway.

I logged a bug with Adobe to include PMon caps on the user logout to see if they can find what the problem is.  Have not heard a THING back.

In the meantime, I remove a server every day from the farm, reboot it once empty, manually delete the user profiles, and put it back into the farm.

Pain in the ass.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 12, 2014 Sep 12, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

we have the same problem with

- Reader 11 on

- Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 x64 using

- Citrix XenApp 6.5 Rollup Pack 4

2 out of 7 users produce this problem every day, resulting in locked profile folders on all terminalservers daily.

We have to reboot the servers every day and delete folders manually aferwards.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 19, 2014 Sep 19, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We are still on Reader 11.0.0.7 but have installed Microsoft KB2993651. Same problems here since installing MS Update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 16, 2014 Sep 16, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear all,

do you have installed windows security updates which have been released at 27th of August 2014?

May the following Hotfix is the problem: Microsoft Security Bulletin MS14-045 - Important

KB Article: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2984615

At the moment I have the problem I can't uninstall the Hotfix to confirm my assumption, but ít seems that all problem have begun at september and that Hotfix could be the trigger for that symptoms.

With kind regards

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 16, 2014 Sep 16, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the info!

We do have KB2993651 installed and the problem started around that time.

Microsoft says:

Known issue 1

After you install this security update, fonts that are installed in a location other than the default fonts directory (%windir%\fonts\) cannot be changed when they are loaded into any active session. Attempts to change, replace, or delete these fonts are blocked, and a "File in use" message is displayed.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2993651/en-us

I have uninstalled the update on a server now. As soon as I am able to restart it and have watched it for a day, I will come back with the results (if any).

Regards, Stefan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 18, 2014 Sep 18, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately this did not help. After uninstalling KB2993651 and rebooting the server on tuesday, I today have two locked local profile folders on that server again, with a date of yesterday.

I will try uninstalling KB2976897 now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Uninstalling KB2993651 and rebooting the Citrix server did fix the issue for us

The process I used to verify this was:

1. Cleaned up profiles

2. Uninstalled KB2993651

3. Rebooted server

4. Logged in and opened C:\Users\<Username>\Appdata\Local\Temp\<number>\

5. Opened a PDF and printed it - watched the Z@*.tmp files be created in temp folder

6. Closed Adobe Reader - watched Z@*.tmp files be deleted.   (Historically, the files were not deleted upon closing Adobe Reader)

7. Logged off - confirmed that the profile was indeed deleted.

On Citrix servers that still have KB2993651, I can repeat these steps but the Z@*.tmp files are not deleted upon closing Adobe Reader.

On a different server, I tried installing Adobe Reader 11.0.09 without removing KB2993651 and the issue was still present so .09 did not resolve the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you sure it was Z@*.tmp files and not A*.tmp files?

I have seen temp files being created and successfully cleaned after printing a PDF as you just did, but they didnt have the Z@*.tmp names.

I followed these steps now:

1. Uninstalled KB2976897 aswell (KB2993651 was uninstalled before)

2. Rebootet server

3. Cleaned old local profiles under C:\Users

4. Logged in as user and printed a PDF to a real printer (-> Z@R*.tmp files were being created)

5. Closed AcrobatReader (-> temp files are still there and locked)

6. Logged off the server (-> local profile is not deleted)

But I noticed, that only some PDF files (with a lot of fonts included) produced Z@*.tmp files. Other dont create any temp file in that location (scanned images, no fonts included). Others again create A*.tmp files, wich are deleted when closing AcrobatReader.

The problem occurs when being a domain administrator aswell.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It appears to vary from PDF to PDF ... I do see the A*.tmp files created along with the Z@*.temp files when printing some PDFs. However, the A*.tmp files are being deleted when Acrobat Reader closes whereas the z@*.tmp files do not delete on the servers that still have the KB2993651 update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@StefanSch, could it be that you only uninstalled KB2993651, while it's predecessor KB2982791 is still installed on the system? If this is the case I assume you have to uninstall KB2982791 as well before the problem indeed is solved.

@Caorthann, great to see you are having more success. Did you have to uninstall KB2976897 as well?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello pinkadmin,

I do not have KB2982791 installed on the server I am testing on. I do have KB2970228 installed tho, and I am going to uninstall this aswell now and post my results later.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good luck. I don't hold much hope for this, as we don't have KB2970228 installed on our system yet we do have the same issue. I'm going to propose uninstalling KB2993651 and KB2982791 to our change manager. Will keep you updated on the results.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, looks like uninstalling KB2970228 AND KB2993651 works for us (tested on one server)

I will verify it on more servers as soon as possible.

I have uninstalled/not installed the following Updates:

KB2970228

KB2993651

KB2982791

KB2975719

KB2975331

I DO have installed the following:

KB2976897

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@pinkadmin : We did not have to uninstall KB2976897, only KB2993651.

@StefanSch :  We do not have KB2970228 installed  (I'm pretty sure we either uninstalled or stopped roll out of MS14-045 when Microsoft recommended that customers uninstall around Aug 18 ( see Microsoft pulls MS14-045 and recommends uninstall if you have already deployed | Shavlik BlogShavlik...).  You are probably correct in that its a combination of the two that causes the issue,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 22, 2014 Sep 22, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just upgraded one of my Citrix servers to Reader 11.0.9.  Still the same issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 22, 2014 Sep 22, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After uninstalling KB2970228 and KB2993651 on all of our terminalservers, restarting and waiting a day I can now finally verify that this helped.

@rhservices: Thank you for the hint

@digitalman77: Have you checked for those two updates already?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 23, 2014 Sep 23, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

we have the same issue in Windows 2008 R2 Terminalservers (without Citrix) and on Windows 7 Clients.

If you read the Description of the security Update KB2993651 (MS14-045: Description of the security update for kernel-mode drivers: August 27, 2014) you read the following:

Known issues of this security update

So it seems, that is not a problem with Adobe Reader, but a problem with windows because even microsoft says, that it is an issue related to this patch.

This issue applies because the sticky temp-files are extracted fronts of the pdf-files. That is also the reason why some pdf generate this files and some not.

Anyway: Maybe Adobe is able to do anything against this issue too.

Regards,

Kristian

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 24, 2014 Sep 24, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Removing 2993651 fixed it on our Windows 2008 R2 XenApp 6.5 Farm.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 24, 2014 Sep 24, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

download unlocker application , click on file and then delete

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 10, 2014 Oct 10, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

for us the removal of KB 2993651 does not fixed the problem in out W2K8 R2 XenApp 65. farm. Still those "Z@R4C67.tmp files" within C:\Users\%USERNAME%\AppData\Local\Temp\3\acrord32_sbx\

any more ideas?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines