• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is there a "dummies" guide to setting up content categories?

Participant ,
Sep 25, 2014 Sep 25, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using: RoboHelp 11 on a Windows 7 system.

I've looked through the Help and I've looked at the sample project EmployeeCare2 (which  has only one content category, US (default), and so doesn't show the benefit of having multiple categories). I still don't understand the best approach for setting this up. For example, do you need to create a unique TOC for each content category and then include only the relevant topics in that TOC?

We have several types of users for our Touchstone application

• Underwriters
  • Reinsurance agents
  • Insurance agents
  • Business unit administrators
  • System administrators

Would I have to create a TOC for each type of user, including in it only those topics of interest to each user?

Would I then create browse sequences applicable to each user's typical workflow?

Has anyone seen any good documentation about this feature?

Note: In our current Help system, which uses WebHelp Pro, I had to, for various licensing reasons, create a TOC for each type of product analysis (e.g. Loss, Hazard, Geospatial, Data Quality). Each TOC included common topics and topics related only to the analysis type. In addition, each TOC contained conditional build expressions. When a user launches the Help menu, the user sees only the Help modules for their licensed products. While this works fine for our purposes, we ran into some odd behavior with browse sequences.  It appears that the approach I took is similar to the way authors need to develop Content Categories.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Sep 27, 2014 Sep 27, 2014

It does say in the The Employee Care 2 SSLs topic "If you want to learn about Dynamic User-Centric Categories (Content Categories) or AIR Help, please see the Salesbuilder 2 sample project."

The TOCs can either be separate or tailored through the use of tags. Which is best will be dictated by how you have written your topics, same for browse sequences.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Sep 27, 2014 Sep 27, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It does say in the The Employee Care 2 SSLs topic "If you want to learn about Dynamic User-Centric Categories (Content Categories) or AIR Help, please see the Salesbuilder 2 sample project."

The TOCs can either be separate or tailored through the use of tags. Which is best will be dictated by how you have written your topics, same for browse sequences.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Sep 29, 2014 Sep 29, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks, Peter.

I'm going through the entire project now to see how various things have been set up, including DUCCs.

Carol

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp