• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Which is best way to create a web Flip Book?

Explorer ,
Sep 15, 2011 Sep 15, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am creating a spec book of about 200 pages and it used to print and go in a binder but now it needs to be on web as a flip book.

Since I do all the production work in InDesign I hoped it could be an export.

I have heard about http://page-flip.com/ and http://www.freshcatalog.com/ but should I have to pay for more software if I can do it in InDesign?

Will a 200 page project be a monster of a file size and would that cause performance issues?

I appreciate opinions on this issue.

Thanks Jim K

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 20, 2011 Sep 20, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Adobe for not answering my question. I may have bought additional software if you would have told me what is available. 23 views and no replies is sad.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are talking to users like yourself here, not Adobe staff. Evidently none of the users who viewed your post felt they had any information that would be of use to you, either because your question was not clear, or they simply did not have any similar experience.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Employees of Adobe rarely visit the forums. This is a user to user forum.

It is sad nobody replied.

InDesign can produce, in my opinion, a very mediocre flip-book.

I use the page-flip book you describe for our magazine and it's very easy to use. You use a PDF of the document to load into the software and it generates the files to be uploaded to the web.

P.s. I didn't see this post that's why I didn't reply.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a user to user forum not a direct communication to Adobe. Nobody here is under any obligation to answer your question and the fact that you didn’t get an answer is indicative of the fact that nobody had anything to tell you.

Bob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 24, 2014 Sep 24, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please point this "Nobody here is under any obligation to answer your question…" in the "Community guidelines". Ether this rule is buried somewhere deep or it does not exist. Id like to point out that we are your customers granted you're our only realistic choice, but we do not work for Adobe. So most of us do not know all the "in's and out" within trying to find Adobe product solutions. It would be very troubling if your customers became expert in navigating through your "community help".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 25, 2014 Sep 25, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As I mentioned in the very beginning of this thread, this is a User-to-User forum, manned by user volunteers, not Adobe staff. People who post here do so only if they want to, and the amount of expertise of any particular responder is quite variable. Nobody is required to answer your posts, and nobody knows all the answers. If you want to talk to Adobe staff, start a paid support case.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My point is "most people" (let alone members) will not read the fine print. Do you read any of the content of any agreement or policy before you sign or click… Probably not. So please back off on the harsh tone. Most of us are coming in looking for answers under a deadline and yes we are going to be unruly and bitchy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you want help with something or did you just come here to troll?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Peter's trying to point out that none of the responders in this thread work for Adobe including Bob.

User-to-user forums are common and are often a better way to get answers to arcane real world problems. Occasionally Adobe employees respond to questions—they will have "staff" below their avatar. It would be impossible to have a tech support staff that knows all of the answers to problems encountered in the real world usage—the software is way to complex for that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I suppose you already tried to export as flash:

File>Export>Save as type>Flash Player (SWF)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I apologize for that comment. I was just frustrated. I was unprofessional. I did think that adobe employees contributed but still no reason to flame. Sorry.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

http://page-flip.com/

Get stuck paying for it, but this one is actually pretty nice. Good support from them, though obviously free is a better price for some of these. The html edition of it is pretty good. It is flash, but does a great job.

I think this is one of those things where we all have used one or more solution for this and it is one of those necessary evils in the print world. Clients request them, our Heidelbergs hate them, most people think they are tacky.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 07, 2012 Jun 07, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

and sometimes... viewers might look at a post seeking their own answers... not to answer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 18, 2012 Nov 18, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you are using InDesign, you can export the file to single SWF file. If there are 200 pages in the file, the output size is probably being large when there are high resolution images in it.

You can some 3rd party tools such as the products you’ve mentioned or aXmag pdf to flash converter to get pages created into separate SWF files and load them one by one for online reading which could shorten the loading time when end users are trying to open the online flip book.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 15, 2014 Aug 15, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know this is old, but I am searching for some info myself and am putting this link on a few forums in case others stumble onto the answers here.

Making a flip magazine can be done in InDesign. Using PDFs for the pages in InDesign, export the file as a .swf and then import the swf back into InDesign.  Then save as an interactive PDF.   All the settings and info are in this video: InDesign: Creating interactive PDFs with Page Turn and Flash animations | CSInsider | Design | Adobe...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines