• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Support for Nikon D750

Community Beginner ,
Sep 23, 2014 Sep 23, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is the normal lead time for a new camera such as the Nikon D750 to be available in LR5?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 186 Replies 186
People's Champ ,
Sep 23, 2014 Sep 23, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A few weeks to a few months. Lightroom typically releases an update quarterly. It depends upon the timing of the camera's release to the Adobe schedule.

Normally there is a release candidate of the DNG converter tool a few weeks prior that gives you earlier access to your Raw files in Lightroom via DNG.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 24, 2014 Sep 24, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let me get this straight... if I purchase the D750, today, and take pictures, I can't import to Lightroom to edit the pictures?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Correct, if you are referring to the RAW photos taken by the camera. (Opposite is true of JPG photos)

You'd have to use Nikon software, save the RAW as TIF and then import into Lightroom.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

oh, so there is a work around?  do you lose resolution?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You do not lose "resolution",as I normally interpret the word. If the resolution of your image is (for example) 6000x4000 before, your resolution remains 6000x4000.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

maybe I am asking the wrong question, then?  Do you lose information?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Every pixel is represented in the TIF, at the same bit depth as your camera produced, so no, I do not think you lose information.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ok, thank you.  So, it is a matter of installing the Nikon Software, importing the raw files into the Nikon Software, saving the files into tif format, and then I should be able to do what I have been doing with my older camera within Lightroom? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Until there is an update from Adobe, yes, that is what you need to do

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 02, 2014 Oct 02, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I received the D750 a few days ago, and expected this issue as I had it with the D810 also.  Then it did not bother me as I just waited and used the JPEGs while I waited.  But now I am heading off on a trip and would like to shoot only raw to save space, and look at the images while I travel.  I have loaded the Nikon software on my laptop, but I am unfamiliar with it because I typically only use LR5.  Which of the three packages is the one to use to download the NEF files and save them as Tiffs before importing to LR5?  I am capable of moving the files outside of LR and saving the backups.  And I am familiar with Tiffs as I use these when I share images for publication.  Do I use View NX2, Picture Control Utility 2, or Capture NX D to download and convert to Tiff?  Is there an online tutorial somewhere I can view?

Thanks, great forum.

JHOW

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you change the exif as mentioned above, you don't have to use any of those programs and can edit raw in LR5 as normal.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Capture NX-D works OK - not great, not bad - just OK - good enough for now. It is quite easy to use - just play around with it - remember, you don't save NEF files in it - after you adjust them you can right click on the image and do "convert" (or you can select multiple images

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 03, 2014 Oct 03, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So why did you get D750 if you have D810? yeah, ok.. aha...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We also just purchased the D750 and was somewhat surprised about the Raw file situation with Lightroom and Photohop.

I have been converting the Raw files into TIFF but it takes ages and I can just imagine to come back from my next tour converting 5000 to 6000 Raw files into TIFF - this will be taking

a few years!  Any quicker solution to make the convertion into Tiff files faster?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have decided to do the following -

I am going to shoot raw files on slot one, download the files while I travel to a backup remote hard drive and save the SD card originals. I will wait until I am home, and maybe until Adobe catches up with the D750, to import the raw files to LR5. I believe I have enough cards to keep the trip on cards.

While traveling, I will reserve two cards to file JPEGs. at 32mb cards, that is about 400 shots per card. I will download each day and import into LR on my laptop, the JPEG files, and then reformat the cards and re-use them throughout the trip. I am not concerned about only having one copy of the JPEGs as I really want the raw files safe. I will use the JPEG files to review my work and occasionally to upload while I travel.

I looked in to the Tiff process, and that just takes too long, and too much space, and then I would have this one trip differently stored than the other trips. And really, I don’t like editing while I travel as it just makes it more difficult to move the edited files to permanent storage and backup. In this case, I think patience is a virtue. Since my only client is myself, not an issue. It’s not like I am shooting a wedding and the bride wants to see the output.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

look - in Capture NX-D select your source folder (where you copy your RAW files) and in the grid view select all the RAW files. Then right click (once they are all selected) and chose "convert files" chose your format and output folder and that's it. Also, to preview the NEFS you don't need the PS/LR plugin - just get the latest Nikon NEF codec and you will be able to view your NEF files in Windows Photo Viewer (or if you are on mac you can use mac viewer) - simple. if you are planning to do many nature shots it may be good idea to do 12bit compressed NEF anyway (since you can do about 4 sec of continuing shooting vs 2.5 if you chose 14bit lossless). Or just shoot high quality jpeg files  - LR will work fine with those, but you will lose d-lighting stuff

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>or if you are on mac you can use mac viewer

Nikon does not make the codec available for Macs. Apple hasn't updated their raw libraries yet to support the D750 for the same reason as why Adobe hasn't so on a Mac your only option is the terrible Capture NXD or to edit the raw files.

Really nothing is going to change here unless the camera manufacturers get the message from their customers that nobody will buy their cameras if there is no third-party support for the raw formats from the get go. This means sharing some info with Apple, Adobe, DxO, PhaseOne, etc so that they can support the cameras from the outset or to use an open raw format (i.e. dng) so they can enable support from day 1 without sharing any prerelease information on their cameras. Unfortunately there is no appetite for a boycott like this or awareness in the photographer community. Lots of people will preorder the latest new camera and then be surprised that nobody supports the raw files yet. The camera makers do not understand that good workflow is extremely important to photographers and good workflow overwhelmingly means raw software that is not Canon or Nikon so unless they are rubbed their nose in it will not chance their behavior. I am not the only one who is annoyed by the camera makers' lack of understanding of modern workflow: http://www.dslrbodies.com/accessories/software-for-nikon-dslrs/software-news/day-12-of-the-d810-work...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did not know about no codecs for mac - I though I did see download but can't remember - windows user here. As far as Capture NX-D - really, it IS NOT as bad as everyone says - Not as good as old Capture NX2 (thank google for that one) but it is not bad - I mean it has all base edits - D-lighting, exposure compensation, WB, exposure type. You can do really quick adjustments (you can also crop etc but I rather do that in LR) - then just select all files, right click convert files and go grab a coffee while it works - really - not his bad - I did go trough the first test shots (close to 500 nature shots at Vail) in 30 min and then it took 20 min or so to convert the files to tiff - Then you have your regular LR workflow - so in reality you are losing 30 min tops! (please don't tell me the old - "my time is valuable"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no Lightroom release-candidate to directly work with D750 raw files, but the DNG Converter 8.7 RC is on Adobe Labs:  http://labs.adobe.com/  and can be used to make DNGs from the NEFs that will work in LR 5.6.  The one issue would be that the camera profiles other than Adobe Standard won't be accessible, unless you manually copy them over to your Users profile area.

The link to the DNG Converter 8.7 RC download page on the CS6 technology page is currently mistyped and needs to be this:

http://labs.adobe.com/downloads/cameraraw8-7.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

never mind - figured it out - thanks - big help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jao vdL wrote:

The camera makers do not understand that good workflow is extremely important to photographers and good workflow overwhelmingly means raw software that is not Canon or Nikon so unless they are rubbed their nose in it will not chance their behavior.

The camera makers will never respond to photographers in this respect unless and until photographers refuse to purchase a new camera until there is an established open source RAW file format that precludes third party developers the need to re-invent the wheel for each and every new camera model introduced.

As long as consumers feel compelled to purchase the latest and greatest cameras the instant they become available ... waiting for support will remain the status quo.

The only way that we photographers can invoke a change to this situation is to refrain from embracing each and every new camera as a must-have-it-or-life-is-meaningless attitude. These companies only understand their bottom line. As long as you spend your money blindly with them, change will never come.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exactly my point. Thanks Butch!

Though I would remark, having observed how the camera makers do seem to be

caught like a dear in the headlights with the cell phone and the mirror

less revolution, that even if they notice it in their bottom line, they are

obtuse enough that they would ascribe it to other factors beyond their

control. It is amazing how much easier it is to get a cell phone picture

online even without any interaction than it is for a pro sports

photographer to get their images to their bureau. The big two really do not

understand modern workflow. They keep giving us badly programmed tools that

are slow and unwieldy, do not work with fast workflows with 1000's of

images, and even actively try to keep people from using third-party tools

that actually work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

??? - what are you talking about? Think about an issue (and its implications) before you let your fingers type. Think what a RAW file really represents. Camera manufacturers disclose the RAW architecture as soon as they can (with out giving up the release too soon for the competition) - to have a support for a RAW generated from new CMOS takes a bit of time - I bet adobe got a spec at least 3  months ago - AT LEAST (I would be willing to bet that they got it 6 months ago). If Nikon reveled the RAW spec before that it would have to reveal things which they wanted to keep hashed and reveled closer to the release date. Further more - Nikon it self is working on the firmware and releases - if they gave a spec too soon it could be useless as they could have need to make a  firmware revision change. It's not like they released the camera with no support - there is NEF support via capture NX-D (clunky as it is it is working fine to convert NEF files into TIFF or jpeg) or you can shoot jpegs and import them to LR etc - Now there is a DNG converter so it gets even better. I wish you guys would first think what you are talking about (or maybe being a software architect makes me understand complexities of software development) - bottom line is - if you don't like it DON'T BUY IT! Nobody is FORCING you to buy D750 - buy D610 or D810 or one of many other adequate cameras out there - funny part is that the pros don't really complain about the little things like this...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exodus.Maximus wrote:

??? - what are you talking about? Think about an issue (and its implications) before you let your fingers type. Think what a RAW file really represents. Camera manufacturers disclose the RAW architecture as soon as they can (with out giving up the release too soon for the competition) -

Seriously? I know I should never question a self-proclaimed expert ... but ....

Surely you jest? You seem to be under the assumption that the RAW file is the proprietary secret sauce to the eventual image quality. It is not. It is purely a collection of ones and zeroes collected within a wrapper so that our computers can use that data in order to create a visual representation of the image captured.

Think about it ... if Adobe can take the "RAW" data from most any camera generated proprietary DSLR file, after capture, and place that very same data in another wrapper (DNG) why can't the good folks in Tokyo offer the same capability at the camera level? It's not because they can't or it's too difficult or expensive. They find a way to offer jpeg, AVCHD, m4v, etc. as needed.

You may consider yourself to be the world's gift to software development ... but some of us are not so easily fooled either. Even though we me be inferior or unworthy to comment in this forum in your eyes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines