• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Active X Control is in sysWOW64, AND System 32. I NEED IT DELETED from System 32.

New Here ,
Sep 29, 2014 Sep 29, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm on an Acer laptop, with a 1.9gHz Intel Celeron. I'm running Windows 7 HP. I use IE11 AND Firefox32 both, all of the time. Flash15_0_0_152 was installed in sysWOW64/Macromed/Flash, for exclusive use in the 64 bit Internet Explorer, but the 15_0_0_152.ocx file, (Active X Control), also installed into System 32/Macromed/Flash folder, where I need to install the Flash "plugin for all other browsers", i.e., the Firefox 32 bit browser.

I don't think having the Active X Control in System 32 will allow Flash Player to operate properly, ( in Firefox ). With that said, how do I delete the file from System 32, so as to proceed with the FP "plugin for all other browsers" install?

@m_vargas

@PAt Willener

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Sep 30, 2014 Sep 30, 2014

Hi there.

You're conclusions are incorrect.

WOW64 stands for "Windows 32-bit on Windows 64-bit" so SysWow64 is the 32-bit location on a 64-bit OS, and System32 is the 64-bit location on a 64-bit OS.  Yes, confusing, but it's Microsoft's product and they decide these things. See File System Redirector (Windows) for more information, or Google SYSWoW64.

Flash Player supports both 32- and 64-bit, and will install both on a 64-bit OS. You can't install one or the other, nor uninstall one or the other,

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 30, 2014 Sep 30, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there.

You're conclusions are incorrect.

WOW64 stands for "Windows 32-bit on Windows 64-bit" so SysWow64 is the 32-bit location on a 64-bit OS, and System32 is the 64-bit location on a 64-bit OS.  Yes, confusing, but it's Microsoft's product and they decide these things. See File System Redirector (Windows) for more information, or Google SYSWoW64.

Flash Player supports both 32- and 64-bit, and will install both on a 64-bit OS. You can't install one or the other, nor uninstall one or the other, it's all or nothing on 64-bit OS.

The ActiveX Control is exclusively for Internet Explorer (and other apps that use the ActiveX Control) and will not work with Firefox.  If you only install the ActiveX Control and try to view Flash content on Firefox it won't display. For Flash Player in Firefox (and other npapi-based browsers), you'll need to install the Plugin.  Both ActiveX Control and Plugin live happily in the same directory.

HTH.

--

Maria

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 01, 2014 Oct 01, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Downloading Flash ( Active X ), for Internet Explorer, all of the files should go to their Flash folder. Mine is at C:// Windows/sysWOW64/Macromed/Flash. During the download, the Active X Control, (.ocx) file, simultaneously downloaded to C://Windows/System 32/Macromed/Flash, which is where the Flash plugin for Firefox was going to go. If I download the plugin to this Flash folder, it will reside there along with the Active X .ocx file. Having the Flash plugin files in the same Flash folder with the Active X Control will not allow Flash to operate properly in Firefox, right?

That being said, shouldn't the .ocx file be gone from the System 32/Macromed/Flash folder, BEFORE downloading the Flash plugin files TO THAT FOLDER. Won't Active X  corrupt the plugin, thereby causing a malfunctioning Flash Player?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 02, 2014 Oct 02, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

"Downloading Flash ( Active X ), for Internet Explorer, all of the files should go to their Flash folder. "

On a 64-bit OS, BOTH the ActiveX and Plugin will install to \Windows\System32\Macromed\Flash (64-bit location) AND \Windows\SysWow64\Macromed\Flash (32-bit location).  These are the Flash folders for the ActiveX Control and the Plugin.  The ActiveX Control has no bearing in how Flash operates in Firefox, and likewise, the Plugin has no bearing in how Flash operates in IE.  They are completely separate.  IE doesn't know about NPAPI plugins and Firefox doesn't know about ActiveX Control.

I'm not sure why why you think that the OCX should be removed from the Flash folder before the Plugin is installed nor why you feel they should not reside in the same location.  Are you experiencing playback issues in either IE or Firefox, or both?

--

Maria

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 02, 2014 Oct 02, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I guess that point wasn't necessarily made clear. Indeed, I have had playback issues with Flash for a year or more, in IE11, AND Firefox 32. I am, by no means, a computer geek, and Flash isn't exactly the easiest player to configure correctly when you are constantly using both browsers.

You're saying that Active X ( 64 bit )will install in System 32, ( 64 bit location ) but my 64 bit Flash Player for IE, downloaded to SysWOW64, ( 32 bit location ). Am I getting all of this straight? If so, then do the IE Flash files need to be moved FROM SysWOW64, TO System 32? Or can the Active X files be left where they are, and the plugin be downloaded into System 32? I guess THIS ONE has to be read slowly, to "soak it all in".

Apologies, if this sounds as though I'm driving while blind, but I am, sort of. I am just trying to FINALLY be able to utilize an operational Flash Player, both in IE, and in Firefox. Your continued assistance is greatly appreciated.

Tommy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 03, 2014 Oct 03, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Tommy,

I'm saying that on a 64-bit OS, Flash Player for Internet Explorer (ActiveX Control) AND Flash Player for Firefox (the Plugin) will install to BOTH \Windows\System32\Macromed\Flash (the 64-bit location) AND \Windows\SysWOW64\Macromed\Flash (the 32-bit location).  The browser, either IE or Firefox, knows Flash Player installs to these two locations and will load the correct one based on whether or not the browser being used is 32-bit or 64-bit.  Internet Explorer doesn't know about Plugins, so it'll never load the Plugin, and Firefox doesn't know about ActiveX Controls, so it'll never load the ActiveX Control.

Now that we have that squared away, what playback issues are you encountering?

--

Maria

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 04, 2014 Oct 04, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maria,

I hate to sound dumb, like some kind of "smarty pants', but I DON'T exactly have this squared away.

I installed the Active X Flash while in Internet Explorer. Your post says that the browser knows the folder location, and Flash will install to that correct location. If System32 is the 64 bit location, and we know that Flash for IE is 64 bit, then why are my Active X Flash files in sysWOW64, ( the 32 bit location?)

I am by no means, trying to be rude, in ANY WAY, so PLEASE do not take ANY of my comments that way, PLEASE. I have grown rather tired of dealing with these Flash issues, ( for over a YEAR ), so I am just going to throw caution to the wind, and try, (RIGHT NOW ), to install the Flash plugin, and see what happens. I'll post my results ASAP.

My playback issues are: (1):  I must refresh some sites 4 or 5 times, before I FINALLY "get lucky", and get Flash to playback video(s). Sometimes, it matters not, and those sites absolutely refuse to allow Flash to work properly there. (2):  Some sites just will not allow playback at all...period.

(3): I suppose the following has a lot to do with my Internet speed, ( I've tested my DSL speed, and, apparently, it is rather slow ), but, for at least half of the time, all that happens when I am playing back a video, is buffering, buffering, etc. I usually get fed up with it, and exit the screen. Sometimes, under this particular scenario, I will give the video in question a second attempt, but, more often than not, it still will not work, and I'll give up, exiting that screen.

I need to point out that the largest percentage of these problems were occurring before I uninstalled, and re-installed Flash (Active X ), for IE. As I said a few sentences ago, I have yet to re-install the Flash plugin, but am about to do so. More later.

Again, thank you for your patience, politeness, and diligence.

Tommy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 06, 2014 Oct 06, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Tommy,

After you install the Plug-in, take a screenshot of both the system32 and syswow64 directories and post them, using the instructions here How to post a screenshot in the forum.

As mentioned previously, Flash Player supports both 32- and 64-bit platforms and will install to both 32- and 64-bit directories on a 64-bit OS.  If you're using a 32-bit browser, the browser will load Flash from the 32-bit location.  IE is a bit different in that it may load from either the 32- or 64-bit location.  To verify which version is being used do the following:

• Launch Task Manager, from the menu, select View > Select Columns > scroll down to 'Image Path Name' and mark the check-box, click OK.
  • Launch browser and view Flash content.
  • Go back to the Task Manager and look for the FlashUtil process.  For Firefox, you may see FlashPlayerPlugin_verionNumber.exe before you see the FlashUtil process for the plugin.
    • If it's not there, view some other Flash content, such as youtube, although the process will generally display.
  • View the path in the Image Path Name column.

For the playback issues, did these start, or increase after you installed Internet Explorer 11 (or IE10)?  If you switch to Compatibility Mode do the playback issues continue or go away? Do you experience playback issues on Firefox as well, or is it just IE?

--

Maria

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 08, 2014 Oct 08, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here are snips from the 2 directories. I understand what has transpired, and it appears that the video issue is resolved. I am grateful for everything, Maria. Is there a box on Adobe.com somewhere, to put a check in to give forum members a thumbs up?   Found it.

The playback issues were equally frustrating, whether in IE11 OR Firefox. IE11 was pre-installed, as was Windows 7.

Capturesys32flash1.PNG

Capturesyswow64flash2.PNG

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 09, 2014 Oct 09, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Tommy,

Thank you for posting the screenshots.  They indicate Flash Player ActiveX and Plug-in are installed to the correct locations, and the latest versions for both are installed.  I'm glad you were able to resolve the playback issues.

Have a great day!

--

Maria

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines