MOV file lagging in Quicktime player

New Here ,
Sep 30, 2014 Sep 30, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using 15" MacBook Pro (2012)  750GB HD, 16GB RAM

OS X 10.7.5 2.4GHz Intel Core i7

After Effects CC 13.0.2.3

I made a Lyric Video with just a solid Layer Backround and a lot of Animated Text.

But when I render it and play it in QuickTime it will Lag in different spots when I watch it. Sometimes it won't lag during a certain frame but then I watch the video 2 mins later and it will lag in the spot that it just played fine!  I also tried watching the video in iTunes and the same lagging problem occurs.

I tried looking on forums and on youtube on how to stop lagging after a render but nothing has worked for me yet.  I thought if I shared my specific situations I could maybe get a solid answer.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, you almost found it!  The answer's hiding in the FAQ's,,,,,

FAQ: Why is my output file huge, and why doesn't it play back smoothly in a media player?

And if you feel that tidbits of AE knowledge are spread hither & yon across the Adobe web site, I'd have to agree.  It's like you have to memorize it just to know where to find the info you seek.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Take your rendered video and add it to the Adobe Media Encoder and then render an h.264 copy of the video using one of the standard presets. Pick one that matches the frame size and frame rate of your original.

If that does not solve the problem then you may be experiencing stroboscopic effects similar to stage coach wheels moving backwards in western movies. This means your motion, the motion of your text, is moving at a critical speed that causes judder or strobing effects. Coincidentally, there is also an answer to that problem in the FAQ section of this forum. Look there.

There are 3 getting started videos available here: Basic Workflow.  The last deals with rendering. Take a moment to watch it to get an understanding of rendering.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My video is 1280x720 and I am mostly making it to post to my youtube channel should I just use the Pre-set in Adobe media encoder

Web Video>YouTube>720 HD (format H.264, frame size 1280x720 16Mbps)??

Or is there another preset that is more universal perhaps? That will work for you tube but I can also put onto a dvd nicely?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's what the presets are for. They work well. They follow the YouTube recommendations for the frame size. You're making this much too hard.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

okay I was just curious, because I noticed other presets for androids, and iPads and iPhones and I want to make sure my video will play on those as well...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Btw I did what you suggested and it is still lagging during playback. It appears not to be as bad but it still does it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 01, 2014 Oct 01, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I watched all the videos you told me to but they were only what I have already tried. And I could not find anything in FAQs when I searched "stroboscopic effects"...do you have a link for that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 01, 2014 Oct 01, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dave LaRonde wrote:

Ah, you almost found it!  The answer's hiding in the FAQ's,,,,,

FAQ: Why is my output file huge, and why doesn't it play back smoothly in a media player?

And if you feel that tidbits of AE knowledge are spread hither & yon across the Adobe web site, I'd have to agree.  It's like you have to memorize it just to know where to find the info you seek.

None of that worked, I really thought it would and I read everything pertaining to it in the FAQs section.  But my video still lags while playing back in iTunes, with Quicktime, I even tried uploading it to YouTube just to see what would happen and it still lagged in that sporadic fashion I initially described.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Oct 02, 2014 Oct 02, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try this:

Render the comp but do video only, without audio.

Render it again, same settings, but audio only.

These two movies should be exactly the same length, to the frame. but they probably are not or you would not be having this lagging problem.

If these two test movies are of different lengths, a likely explanation is your audio track's media is running at a slightly different frame rate than your composition or your render settings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Show us to the video that is lagging. Also, if you render for YouTube it will play on just about anything.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 03, 2014 Oct 03, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rick Gerard wrote:

Show us to the video that is lagging. Also, if you render for YouTube it will play on just about anything.

..Ok so again all night I wasted hours trying to figure this out and accomplished nothing but being able to get the file size down to 86.9MB, I thought that would help since that is significantly smaller than the original 403.8MB of the MOV file and even smaller than the 124.7MB mp4 file that I got it down to last night using the "YouTube 720 HD" preset.

But STILL I am having this issue!!  The exact description of what happens is, the audio plays perfectly but the words are delayed in popping up, or swinging in, or dropping in.  Sometimes it's subtle and it just looks like poorly timed/placed key frames but other times its a blank screen (as the audio plays perfectly) and then all of a sudden 5 words pop up at once...that's when you can clearly tell something is wrong with the playback.

I attached a YouTube link to the video below. It is an unlisted video so you have to click on this link to get to it...I would have also attached the actual 86.9mp4 video file to show you guys but I could not find a way to do that on this forum...

Jemuhni - Wish Tonight (LYRIC VIDEO) - YouTube

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

bogiesan wrote:

Try this:

Render the comp but do video only, without audio.

Render it again, same settings, but audio only.

These two movies should be exactly the same length, to the frame. but they probably are not or you would not be having this lagging problem.

If these two test movies are of different lengths, a likely explanation is your audio track's media is running at a slightly different frame rate than your composition or your render settings.

Is there a suggested method to render video only and to render audio only?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also would it matter that I am using After Effects CC and using Media Encoder CS6??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No... I've never had a movie skip frames when uploaded to YouTube or Vimeo when I've used the presets in the AME. If you could show us the move, or better yet, if you could check the playback on a different machine, a tablet, or a smart phone and see if the problem isn't your machine.

Have you run this simple test? Load your rendered movie into AE and step through it one frame at a time to check for out of order or duplicate frames? If you find some then you have a frame rate problem somewhere in your comp. Check the settings, purge the cache.

If each frame is unique and the motion between frames is always in the right direction you may be experiencing judder. Read these articles: FAQ: Why does horizontal motion stutter (judder) in my movies, such as during pans?

If stepping though your movie a frame at a time is too much work then drop your movie in Premiere Pro and preview it with Report Dropped frames turned on. If you don't see any dropped frames and the preview in PPro is dropping frames then there's something wrong with your composition's frame rate or some kind of other glitch that can only be diagnosed if we know absolutely everything about your project.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rick Gerard wrote:

If we saw the movie there could be other problems.

what do u mean "if we saw the movie"...? In my last post I attached a link to the movie so you could see it.  And like I said that's the best I can do because I do not see a way to make a file attachment on this forum

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, I missed the link. You attach a movie in this forum using the little film icon at the top of the reply form. You can't do it by e-mail, you have to be on the forum.

Screen Shot 2014-10-03 at 2.30.26 AM.png

I watched your movie 3 times. Once without sound, twice with. Other than a couple of animations where the key framing seemed a bit awkward the only hint of anything wrong with the project was at about the 2:30 mark when you have the very fine text moving very slowly. There are a couple of places where this text has a bit of Judder. Other that that the playback is perfect as far as I can tell. You may be over thinking and over analyzing the project.

Since you shared a link Here's your video embedded:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rick Gerard wrote:

Sorry, I missed the link. You attach a movie in this forum using the little film icon at the top of the reply form. You can't do it by e-mail, you have to be on the forum.

Screen Shot 2014-10-03 at 2.30.26 AM.png

I initially tried that icon but when clicked on it,  it only allowed me to add a url or html code not upload the actual video from my computer.

Rick Gerard wrote:

I watched your movie 3 times. Once without sound, twice with. Other than a couple of animations where the key framing seemed a bit awkward the only hint of anything wrong with the project was at about the 2:30 mark when you have the very fine text moving very slowly. There are a couple of places where this text has a bit of Judder. Other that that the playback is perfect as far as I can tell. You may be over thinking and over analyzing the project.

Since you shared a link Here's your video embedded:

...that's the thing though! its inconsistent.  Its not like it will always be choppy in the same spots.  It's very frustrating...  And sometimes it just looks like awkward keyframes (which is not a good thing anyway because I worked hard to make sure I placed those keyframes perfectly) but the bigger problem is that on occasion multiple words will be missing and then all at once jump onto the screen, arriving seconds out of time...but like I said before none of this happens in a consistent manner

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just watched my video again and I couldn't even get 40 seconds into it without counting 9 lagging transitions/animations...starting with the VERY FIRST transition in the movie, the opacity fade away of the picture in the beginning.  I really respect your opinion and appreciate all you are doing to help me but I am definitely not over thinking or over analyzing the project...there is something wrong with the video (the audio plays fine) and I need to fix it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK FINALLY!!! it seems the 86.9MB mp4 that I uploaded to Youtube is indeed not lagging.  It was lagging for me on my computer because i needed to make a software update to my browser along with some other software.  Thanks for helping me through every possible option

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't see anything lagging, but I would probably have timed the animations differently. Everything plays smoothly for me but I don't have any idea how you have set up your keyframes or how you are timing things to the words. Try looking at the video with the sound turned off.

You san the first fade is off. When is the fade supposed to start? When is it supposed to end?  It is not timed the way I would have done it but it plays back smoothly. You can find out if there is any problem with the timing of the render by dropping your video in AE and comparing the cuts with the original.

Cutting to music is not a completely mathematical proposition. In most cases cutting exactly on the beat does not give you the best results because your eyes and your ears are not exactly in sync all the time. Most of the time the cut needs to lead the music, but sometimes it needs to follow. It depends on the composition of the shot, the colors, where your eye was looking before the cut, the pace of the music, and a lot of other psychographic theory. I took the time to download your video and checked the waveform and the lyrics against the cuts. Most of your cuts are 3 to 4 frames later than I would have cut them. Just slipping the audio track 4 frames later makes most cuts look better. The difference in timing isn't consistent with the leading consonants or even the leading sound of the lyrics which tells me that the problem is in the key framing and not in the playback. There are lots of cuts or moves in this video that are very awkward for the eye to follow and this throws off the apparent timing also. There's a lot more to making a great dynamic text animation than just popping words on the screen. I didn't find a single instance where your cuts or moves were off more than three or four frames from where I would have placed them. I do get the same feeling at different points of the video that the timing is slightly off. This changes each time I watch the video but it's not playback, it's perception because my eyes are bouncing all over the screen and it takes different amounts of time for the image and the sound to match up in my brain.

This psychology of composition and movement is hard to learn but there are some basic rules that you should try and follow. Keep the eye moving in one direction, and for text, since we read left to right, try and remember that. If you change direction or make the eye move from one part of the screen to the other you need to give the move more lead time.

To find out if the rendering is throwing off the timing take your rendered video into AE, set it on top of your comp and set the blend mode to difference. This will give you pretty much a black screen. Any place the picture is out of sync you'll see some or part of the image. If all of that timing is OK then preview the sound with both tracks turned on and check for an echo. If everything is in perfect sync then you'll need to retime your edits to make it look right.

Here's what the difference mode looks like when the top and bottom copy are 4 frames out of sync at 25:12. If your render is out of sync with your comp you'll see things like this when the sync is off. If everything matches the comp will be all black.

Screen Shot 2014-10-03 at 4.57.33 AM.png

If you don't have any of these and the audio does not develop an echo then the problem is not in the playback but in the timing of your edits.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Don't know why that post took so long to get there. It should contain some good info anyway.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines