Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Flip book software

Explorer ,
Nov 23, 2012 Nov 23, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello

I'm trying to source a decent, not too pricey Flip Book software suitable for Mac.

Currently, the company we hire to create them uses http://flippingbook.com/ but having looked on their website it appears it will only work on PC's.

Can anyone suggest something similar that will work on Mac?

Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Nov 23, 2012 Nov 23, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

http://www.flippagemaker.com/flippingbook-maker-mac/index.html

Both seem very similar to me so could be a good buy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,
Dec 04, 2012 Dec 04, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

eDocker2 Desktop Publisher might be a good solution for you if you want to make more than just a passive copy of printed magazine. With it you can use practically all InDesign´s interactive features (videos, animations, hyperlinks, slideshows, pop-up-windows and tabs etc...)

Works with both macs and PCs...

http://www.edocker.com

Sample magazines

http://www.edocker.com/brugal

http://niinidigi.kopioniini.fi/niinidigi_eng/

http://www.thefamousgrouse.com/tfgtimes/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 13, 2013 Feb 13, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And there is of course InDesign's built-in flip maker (Window > Interactive > Page transitions).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 18, 2013 Jun 18, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use the Flippingbook software - it's very good inexpensive solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 21, 2014 Feb 21, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In my interprise, we use the flipbook-creator-for-html5, for us this software solve the work with responsive sites.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 02, 2014 Oct 02, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I am using Paperturn - http://www.paperturn.com/ and I am very satisfied! It works perfectly on a Mac too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As a person who reads information on the internet I can't tell you how much I dislike flip books. They are chosen by people who think they are cute rather than think about the customer experience. I have several nice PDF readers, I can download a PDF, zoom as I want, search, read offline, quickly print, I have control. Frankly if a business just throws a flip book at me I can't be bothered to look at their products, they obviously value gloss over actual use.

Hah! I just followed a link in the firs postt "Are your readers still dowloading PDFs from your site? Take advantage of FlippingBook technology and your audience will feel the difference."

Yes, right, we feel the difference all right and go elsewhere. This suggests there's something wrong or uncool about downloading PDFs. This is the sort of thought that would swap the car pedals around because the old arrangement is old fashioned.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, they're a great solution if you want eliminate the benefits of both printed and online media... which nobody does.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Beyond children’s books I see no reason for them…but to each his/her own.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 23, 2018 Jan 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting.  I had no idea people felt this way.  In the art world, I thoroughly enjoy flipbooks showing the art and having links to purchasing the art.  I also currently subscribe to 2 "magazines" that are in flipbook format, and love those as well.  Your comment definitely gives me a different perspective.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 26, 2014 Dec 26, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One of my customers has been going nuts to get his stuff in a flipping book for a couple of years. The software I've found to do it in is pricey as can be for what it is.

So he harassed me this past week about it, still stikes me as looking cute, but impractical for reading. I agree with Bob Levine completely.

but... the best one I found was using Indesign, that's pretty readable assuming the device you are on will play the SWF file!!!!!

I am really starting to not like the multiple device, OS and different this and that for every device. It's getting harder and harder to cross platform.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

IN5 Export HTML5 from InDesign with in5 - Home

it has the flip page effect and it works on mobile devices.. and the layouts respond.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 31, 2018 Jan 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems to me that a great opportunity exists for someone or some company to present a SIMPLE flip book program for FICTION AUTHORS that can be embedded in a website, and here's why I say that. Fact #1: Amazon's Look Inside the Book feature is its MOST popular feature for book buyers (and authors/publishers). Fact #2: More and more  so-called Indie, and self-published writers, including major pub house names, are beginning to sell their own books from their own site (as well as linking to Amazon and other on-line retailers). When I say "more and more" I'm talking hundreds of thousands of authors. Many variables are going into this decision, not the least of which is the Zon's capricious attitude towards authors, especially with regard to discoverability. For the exact same amount of marketing and promotion work, authors can have you discover their book on THEIR OWN SITE, and make make more money if you buy it from them with an easy and safe purchasing platform (PayPal, credit and debit cards, shopping cart, etc). A book author needs a "Look Inside" feature that does NOT take the reader off the website, unless it is to purchase the book direct from the author. I can link to the Zon's free Look Inside feature and then you can buy my book from them---BUT, I might make a living wage if you buy the book direct from me. It would help if I had an easy to use flip book for Chapter or Section excerpts. It wouldn't have to be more than 10-20 page flip's worth, often even less, like for short stories.

So---it's the EXCERPT feature that authors need and want. Most of us don't format with InDesign (I use Vellum, and I'm on an iMac), and most of us are not tech-oriented, so it needs to be easy, simple to set up, inexpensive with basic features and fast page flip, and easy for the reader of the excerpt to use. If this already exists, clue me in! If any developer wants to co-work with a self-published author to create something like this, connect!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 01, 2018 Feb 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If it was that great an opportunity it would have been done by now.

The look inside feature is gimmick and only presents a few pages. This is done to give people a look at the content and is for a look at hard copy publications, not publications that will be read electronically.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If it's just for excerpts and you have a WordPress website there are plugins that allow you to present PDFs with a page flip.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, Bob, you're far more of an expert than I could ever hope or want to be, but it doesn't "feel" like a gimmick when I have the ability to offer a potential customers a "look inside" one of my eBooks to see if they might want to buy it. A recent 460-page historical novel of mine has a Look Inside on Amazon that's about 46 pages. A short story gives readers about 8 pages. It's about 10% of the book. Yes, one can offer the same thing for the print versions, too, but POD prices are high and even readers who don't prefer eBooks will buy the eBook because of print prices. Remember: I'm talking self-publishing and fiction.

My website is on Squarespace, and although I've tried a few of the flip book programs mentioned here, I can't figure out how to embed the flip book. Right now, I'm looking closely at Yumpu. They have a $10 a month option that could work. I got the Excerpt flip book made on their free plan, but will have to check with them on how to embed it, if Squarespace even allows it. I don't have a WordPress website, but I have a couple Wordpress blogs that I could possibly pull over to the website. That seems like more work than I'm up for, though.

So, basically, Bob, I may not know what I'm doing, technically, but I know what I want as an author, and I WANT an easy to make, inexpensive flip book program to put excerpts of my books on my website! People DO read excerpts, and I think Amazon agrees.

Actually, every author I know wants one because we are ALL starting to sell books from our own websites---we do offer readers the ability to buy from the big guys, also, but we prefer when readers buy direct. I'm in the process of setting that aspect up right now.

I've got this self-publishing thing down pretty good after a few years of doing it, but if all I had to do was write a book...HA! It's NOT all I have to do. I have to go make a website and promotional bits and mess up the entire internet (probably) with my vast technological inferiority and ignorance. And yet...and yet, I came here because I knew you lot would have some ideas. I also tried Paperturn, which was mentioned by someone upthread. I don't have my notes in front of me, but there was something I didn't care for, and it might've been the price.

And yes, flip books are great for children's books...also.

Anyway, thanks for the help and if you think of anything else, let me know....tarra

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 02, 2018 Feb 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check with Squarespace and see if they have anything available that will do it. Otherwise move to WordPress which is far more flexible and you can use one of these:

flipbook — WordPress Plugins

I caution you again, that while this may work nicely for an excerpt, there is no way I'd want to read an entire document this way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 22, 2018 Feb 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello BobLevine

Thanks for sharing these plugin, please let me know the basic tips, how it will perform or how it will be used for my website

Thank you.

Regards

Priya

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 23, 2018 Feb 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

from Window> Interactive> Page Transitions

apply page turn (SWF Only)

or

export to SWF and apply page turn from Page Transitions.

Screen Shot 2018-02-23 at 12.49.41 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What's the point of this, SWF will not play on most devices.

The page turn effect becomes irritating after a while (as Bob mentioned). If the OP must have it, have a look at:

Flip PDF Pro for Mac: Convert PDF to Digital Books with Page Turn Effect on Mac Devices.[FlipBuilder...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes you are right, SWF will not play on most devices, but it is already exit and can be used in many proposes.

your recommendation to use the flip builder to convert it as pdf digital book with page turn effect is very useful 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can't recommend anything that uses SWF. Flash Player will be absolutely dead in 2020 if not before.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SWF may be used in many places, but within 3 years it will stop working. If that's your timescale, fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines