• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

After Effects CC 2014 - removal of H.264, MPEG-2, WMV, FLV, F4V, and SWF exporters - WHY !?

Explorer ,
Jun 21, 2014 Jun 21, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While reading the features of AfterEffects CC2014, I noticed the following:

"removal of H.264, MPEG-2, WMV, FLV, F4V, and SWF exporters from After Effects"

THAT IS IS REDICULOUS!!

NO FLV !?!?
WHAT DO YOU EXPECT USERS TO IMPORT INTO FLASH ??
IF no FLV export is available under After Effects CC 2014, there is NO WAY to EMBED an flv into flash !! (Linking is NOT always what is wanted!!)

NO H264 !?!?!
HAVE YOU GONE CRAZY ?!!?!?

YOU BREAK WORKFLOWS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THAT IS REDICULOUS!!!

Any chance of restoring such features so that it makes updating to it worthwhile ?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Jun 23, 2014 Jun 23, 2014

See this for an explanation for the change regarding H.264, MPEG-2, and WMV and for the recommend workflow:

using Adobe Media Encoder to create H.264, MPEG-2, and WMV videos from After Effects

See this for an explanation for the change regarding FLV and F4V and for the recommended workflow:

removal of FLV and F4V export features from Adobe Media Encoder, After Effects, and Premiere Pro

Votes

Translate

Translate
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Decision is understandable - after all, you can export to AME render where you will find all the possible formats and codecs.

These formats are disappearing from the Render Queue but you can render fo them in AME using Composition/Add to Adobe Media Encoder Queue...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry. In AME CC 2014 you can't export to flv and f4v so if you wish to render from After Effects to flv you have to use previous version of AME (AME  CC).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 22, 2014 Jun 22, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Excuse me to say but that is REDICULOUS!!

If that was ment to change workflow and user Media Encoder, that would just be fine (even awkward but at least it would work..)

NOT being able to render out to FLV from AE CC 2014 at all, provides NO reason of updating...

There is NO format left to be used to EMBED video INTO FLASH!!!!

If one updates to new version, demanding of still keeping the old one is simply REDICULOUS!!!

WHY on earth this was decided? WHAT weird mind thought of this !!?!?

That is REDICULOUS!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See this discussion. Re: Show Deprecated Formats in Output Module Settings don't appear in my output option!

It's already started to gather some momentum and it would be good for you to voice your opinion in there to try and keep it going.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

added my post to that thread as well...

Hope there is an official response to this issue that would justify wether we should upgrade at all...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 23, 2014 Jun 23, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See this for an explanation for the change regarding H.264, MPEG-2, and WMV and for the recommend workflow:

using Adobe Media Encoder to create H.264, MPEG-2, and WMV videos from After Effects

See this for an explanation for the change regarding FLV and F4V and for the recommended workflow:

removal of FLV and F4V export features from Adobe Media Encoder, After Effects, and Premiere Pro

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 06, 2015 Aug 06, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am a new hire at my company and FLV conversion is integral to the workflow that they have set. It is the penultimate step before publication and archiving. Adobe's recommendation for this quagmire is -

"If you do still have a need to create FLV or F4V files for some legacy workflows, then we recommend that you keep the previous versions—Adobe Media Encoder CC (7.2) and After Effects CC (12.2.1)–installed alongside the current versions."

My brand new machine (Macbook Pro OSX 10.10.4) never had the previous version installed, so this is not an option for me. Can you, at the very least, make the previous version available, warts and all?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> Can you, at the very least, make the previous version available

You can install all versions from CS6 forward through Creative Cloud.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you have a creative cloud subscription then you have access to CS6, CC, CS14 and CS15. You just have to use the Creative Cloud app to find them and download them. Look under the second bar that says find additional apps, then move right and click the All Apps link to reveal View Previous Versions. That's all there is to it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 30, 2015 Sep 30, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

CC app no longer has media encoder v7 - the one needed for FLV export apparently.

Adobe - its like you're a landlord and you rent your big house out make lots of money then at quarter to 4 in the afternoon you remove the front door and replace it with a helipad on the roof WITHOUT TELLING ANYONE! All your new features are zilch compared to the time you have wasted me and thousands of other customers who just want to get stuff done.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 26, 2014 Jun 26, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree, back to 12.2 for me. I don't give a shit how Adobe says I should do my workflow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At my company, we still make flash banners. Lots of them, every week. I use the feature of creating text animation in After Effects. It has bundles of great presets for text animation, that can be used and exported as SWF. First, Adobe removes the functionality to import SWF into Flash CC. So I have to use Flash CS6 as well. Still need both though, cause I need to import Illustrator documents too (Flash CS6 doesn't support the latest version). And now with After Effects CC 2014, they remove SWF export all together...

At my job, there is someone employed doing kerning for text in Photoshop. For me to keep that perfect kerning for the Flash banner, I have to import the PSD to After Effects and then export the text layers as SWF to get that kerning preserved. I noticed it was possible to import PSD into the new Flash CC 2014, but the kerning was messed up on import.

Come on, Flash is not dead damnit! Why are you removing features that we rely on?

Adobe rage today...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree too. i always used h264 and flv. it's very very disappointed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 03, 2014 Jul 03, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree too. i always used h.264

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 03, 2014 Jul 03, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I find this to be absolutely ridiculous as well. I don't see why we can't just ADD the AME export features to our existing workflow instead of forcing them on us. I am constantly exporting to H264 for review directly from AE in a clean and efficient manner, and this workflow is not that. Often times I have multiple comps that I have queued up in the Render Queue with all my settings ready. I only have to tick them on, check the filename, and hit render for a new iteration of all of my comps.

As it stands now, I have to re-export to AME every time I make changes to my comp, which copies another aep to my project location to be queued for AME. Not exactly streamlined, IMO.

Also, this means I can't use any 3rd party scripts (BG Render) for command line rendering unless I want to render to the much less useful approved list. I MUCH prefer BG Render or command line rendering in general, as it's faster and lighter with verbose rendering. It also provides post render actions, like text, email, shutdown, sounds, scripts, whatever, which I find EXTREMELY USEFUL.

Additionally, there is no way I would want to render a lossless file for a watch folder for each iteration of a project. That's just insane. Especially if I'm working off of the "cloud".

If I'm wrong about how any of this works, please feel free to correct me, but I am not happy at all with this forced workflow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 14, 2014 Jul 14, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the worst ADOBE upgrade i've ever seen. In every way. Adobe, if you don't know, Upgrade mean is '' to improve something so that it is of a higher quality or a newer model'' not ruin it. Congrats...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 23, 2014 Jul 23, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ADOBE might as well just say, "We don't care if you use it or need it, we're going to make it as complicated as possible for you to get your job done. We will create impossible workflows for you, lowly customer (e.g. create an animation or a movie in AfterEffects that you will have to jump through hoops and climb mountains before it is compatible for insertion in an Adobe Captivate project.)

We will then route you through endless loops of sub-standard, low-quality tech support in India that will never be capable of finding a solution for you... because we're cheap. We want to have a huge profit margin and we don't want to pay for quality support.. but we'll gauge you for our product line anyway. Oh, and our competition just isn't there yet... so you're stuck. HA. Suckers. Did we mention that we're moving backward in the development of some of our products? Yeah."

CC 2014: HORRIBLE UPGRADE. Same for Captivate 8. What a WASTE OF MONEY, since I can NO LONGER GET MY JOB DONE.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Oct 27, 2014 Oct 27, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm also in the same boat.  Is there any workaround to getting an animation with transparency out of After Effects and into Captivate?  I've done the steps of exporting to Quicktime, importing video frames into Photoshop, export GIF sequence, but Captivate 8 crashes every time I import these GIFs as animations.  It seems like SWF is the only viable format, but how does one get a SWF file?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 12, 2014 Aug 12, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree to everyone... bring back h.264 modules!!! It's ridiculous that's AE CC 2014 it's worst than CC version.

I also have a problem that Media Encoder doesn't open in my mac!!!! How should I work??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 10, 2015 Feb 10, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem here...when i try to export as "they" (adobe) want us to export, nothing happens....

on After effetcs cc 2014 AND premiere pro cc 2014....

none of them can actually open media encoder to reder the comp....

thanks adobe!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 15, 2014 Sep 15, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I couldn' t agree more! Looks like adobe's idea of upgrading is moving backwards.

- This is a copy of my opinion already posted on my Facebook page, Twitter and all forums in which I participate -

Makes no sence to remove compatibility. Not to mention that all over the internet, thousands of people are against this idiotic decision and I think they deserve to be heard, because, after all, adobe is making software for them. AME does a better job, they say. This is telling us what software to use. What's next? The clothing we should be wearing? Well, I don't care if AME does a better job. I was very happy with AE results and I think the decision is mine to make.

Well, if that's adobe's position on this, then I say: keep your software and use it yourself. You surely aren't making software for us. If you were, it would have what we need and want. It doesn't have what I need anymore so it became pretty useless to me. I'll look for other options, that meet my needs. Meanwhile, you keep caring about big clients' needs and wishes and ignoring others. That's the best way to make room for others to fill the empty spaces and shine.

Goodbye, adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 02, 2014 Oct 02, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's official.. I now use AE 5.5 more than AE CC 2014. ( I sadly did not buy 6 )...  I've hundreds of files, things interlinked and dependent apon others and pathing is critical.  

The removal of these formats from the render queue is unacceptable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 02, 2014 Oct 02, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Again, adobe never seems to keep user friendliness in mind. The logic in their products is hardly ever intuitive, making the learning curve for new users long and frustrating. Googling this problem has lead me here, where others seem to be having the same issues as I have. Since I have no idea what AME is, I'll have to go and find that out to comprehend what the answer to my question might be. All I wanted is to export a 15 second clip in h.264 or mp4 format to upload to youtube. Instead of having that done hours ago, I ended up rendering a useless 2 GB AVI file that doesn't even play properly.

Why not make a selection-box in the render screen, where users can choose whether they want to use the new "AME" option, or a deprecated selection of export options.

Michael Star - My Pattaya Place

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 09, 2014 Oct 09, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe recommend us to use MP4 instead of FLV?? but it doesnt allow transparency, and i cant improt it into Flash.

This "update" makes no sense for us, the designers/developers and it is converting what used to be an easy workflow into a really complicated one....

Not cool Adobe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines