Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why does flashplayer keep crashing ?

Oct 06, 2014 Oct 06, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Windows 8.1, IE version 11

why does flashplayer keep crashing?

I'll be on a website (facbook for example). everything will be running just fine, then all of a sudden, I get a message that says you need to install flash player

so, I don't install any flashplayer since supposedly it comes enabled and activated already.

I close the @Deleted User window, open it back up, go back to the exact same place I was before when it crashed, and now it works fine.

this happens a couple of times a day, never on the same screen, flashplayer simply decides to lose its brains, and for whatever reason thinks its uninstalled every so often.

WHY?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 06, 2014 Oct 06, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for the head's up.  What you're describing doesn't match my technical definition of a crash.  Typically you would get a windows dialog indicating that an application has crashed, with some error reporting information.  It doesn't sound like that's what you're seeing, and I'm going to work off the behavior you described for the rest of this.

Each site has unique logic that detects the presence of Flash Player.  Either Internet Explorer is not correctly exposing the availability of Flash in some instances, or what's more likely, is that changes to IE11 cause the JavaScript that checks for Flash on some sites to not work as designed.  IE11 introduces some pretty radical departures from previous IE versions, and the web will definitely do a little catch-up as Win8/IE11 usage grows.

Typically, adding problematic sites to the Compatibility Mode list will resolve this until the content provider gets around to updating their site:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/internet-explorer/use-compatibility-view#ie=ie-11

We've been testing Windows 8 for at least a year at this point, and I haven't run into (or heard anyone in our engineering group complaining about) this particular issue outside of the general JavaScript and User-Agent issues.  If compatibility mode doesn't resolve it, it makes me wonder if maybe there are third-party things in play?  AntiVirus, AntiMalware, Privacy Plugins, etc..   If that sounds like a possibility, a list of possible suspects would be helpful.  I'd be happy to try them out and see if I can reproduce it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines