Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Book TOC

New Here ,
Oct 09, 2014 Oct 09, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you, please, answer the following question:

is there a possibility to create a Book TOC, as it can be done for topics Insert Placeholder -> Topic TOC, for example.

Many thanks)

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. You can use bookmarks in your topic and add these to the TOC. Once the bookmarks have been created, you right click in the TOC and use the New > Page menu item to navigate to the bookmark. Just make sure you save your bookmarked topic before doing so or else you won't be able to find the bookmarks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, but... we have probably misunderstood each other

Lets suppose the Table of Contents is created already. There is a tree: 1 book and 3 pages. Is there a possibility to create some placeholder within book topic, where these three subtopics will be shown (with hyperlinks) and automatically updated on these subtopics names update.

So that on opening the book page, the user could select the subtopic he is interested in (not in the Table of Contents, but within the book topic body).

OR can these 1 book and 3 pages be treated as 1 topic? In this case, the solution is very simple - just to use the Topic TOC placeholder option...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think your later option is the way to go. I am not aware of any other to do what you want.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

In the RoboHelp TOC designer, you have some icons at the top as shown below:

tmp1.png

I believe if you choose to click and insert a TOC Placeholder, you will get what you are seeking. You configure the Placeholder to point to a different TOC.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Of course, you will have to create a different TOC to have what you want inside it.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 10, 2014 Oct 10, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you much for your concern!

but, again (I feel I have to improve my explanatory skills )... as a result, I want to achieve the following:

1) Contents view:

Book_1

Page_1_1

Page_1_2

2) Main body: on selecting  "Book_1" from the TOC, the user can see the Book_1 topic text + something like In this topic section, listing the Page_1_1 and Page_1_2 names with hyperlinks.

PS: I just want these three topics to be opened separately (not as one topic), but with the possibility for the user to reference to the subtopics from the main one

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe you just need to add some form of navigation. For example a hyperlink, related topics, see also, etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hello again

It sounds as if you simply want to have a book that not only expands to show topics, but also presents a topic in the topic pane when it is clicked? And the topic that appears should have information about the book with links that also point to the same place the pages inside the book in the TOC point?

If so, that's easy. Just create a topic and add the information. Then right-click the Book and choose Properties. Once you do that you should see a "Book with link" option. Once you enable that, you then choose the topic to link the Book to.

tmp1.png

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp