• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I get the actual signature to show in a document using XI?

Community Beginner ,
Sep 23, 2014 Sep 23, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Been using Adobe for years and with the new update to XI I am having a heck of a time getting the signature to show in the document.  To check this I opened another document and was easily able to grab my signature and place it where I want.

For some reason the document I was sent allow for me to sign electronically, but when I choose to do so, I'm asked first to draw a box to where the signature is to be placed, then another dialog box opens asking for the file.  I was not able to find a place to add a new signature by using the methods used previously.  I have a signature in a file and has been used many times for other .pdf docs with zero issues.

Not sure why this doc is giving me issues.  The document sent to me is showing its from Adobe 7.x! Not sure if that is the issue, as it could be the problem placing the signature.

Please advise to try and get this resolved.

TOPICS
Security digital signatures and esignatures

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 24, 2014 Sep 24, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perhaps the document is expecting a DIGITAL signature rather than a stamp?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 10, 2015 Jul 10, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Duh?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 10, 2015 Jul 10, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No. The morons who replied are engaged in a form of brainiac trolling....they keep telling you all about "digital signatures" which have ZERO to do with what you are seeking to accomplish...they are too smart by half to understand a simple question or they are actually trolling by responding with meaningless information.

I, like you, simply seek to insert my scanned signature into the document. I DON'T WANT OR NEED A DIGITAL SIGNATURE.

I like you, used to be able to simply insert my scanned signature at the bottom of documents and email them right back without having to print, manually sign, scan and return.....the idiots above are not able to conceive of a world wherein the recipient may not need, care, be able to use a digital signature...the recipient just needs your scanned signature on the document.

I get it. You would need to spell it out in baby speak in order to make any headway into the hard heads of the trolls who have thus far replied to this thread.....

Like you, if I cannot figure out a way to insert my scanned signature I will downgrade too....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 29, 2014 Sep 29, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Let's start with what application you are using (it's not Adobe because Adobe is a company, not a product). Is it Acrobat or is it Reader? If you are on Windows you can get the information from the Help > About <application name> menu. On the Mac it would be the Acrobat or Adobe Reader menu and then About <application>. Once you get the about screen up you will see a version number. If you can let me know what that is as well that would be great (I know you said the major version is 11, I'm also curious as the the minor version number).

Thanks,

Steve

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 30, 2014 Sep 30, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using Adobe Reader IX.  I have version 11.0.09.  It looks to be the latest version. 

The document I received had a signature on it from another person.  Clearly visible.  When I attempt to add mime, I am first asked to highlight an area where the signature should be placed.  Then I am asked to pick the signature I want to use.  If I use the standard name it appears in block letters.  If I select create a new one, there is no place for the signature to go.  Another option is for the file, but having no idea where that might be.  I am not given an option to scan, photo, or hold up my signature to the camera. 

Just looking for a way for this to work as it did on other docs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please let me know which dialog you are seeing.

Is this the dialog you are seeing?

Place Signature.jpg

Figure 1: Place Signature

Or is it this dialog?

Drag Field.jpg

Figure 2: Drag New Signature Rectangle

Thanks,

Steve

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Figure #2

It asks for the placement rectangle first.  Then another pop up asks me to choose which one I want to use.  I tried to create a new one, but that only takes me to another page where I input my info.  It does show me an option to choose a file, if I only knew where that was!  I guess once I find it, I can use it!  What would a signature extension be?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I assume when you say "another pop up" you really mean that your seeing this dialog...

AddDigID.jpg

Let's start with some nomenclature so we are on the same page. What you are trying to do is create a "digital signature" and in order to do that you need a "digital ID". To think of this in physical world terms, the PDF file is a piece of paper, the digital ID is the pen and the digital signature is, well the signature. In order to create a digital signature you must have something to sign with, and that something is a public-key based digital ID. This digital ID can reside in several places. It can be in a password protected file and the file would have either P12 or PFX as the file extension to the file name. The digital ID could be locked onto a token or smart card, in which case you would get access to it using a PIN instead of a password. It could also be locked into the Operating System. On Windows that would be the Windows Certificate Store (think of "store" in this case as storage, not a market place), and on the Mac it would be the Keychain Access application.

So the question is, do you currently have a valid digital ID (they do expire) or do you need to procure one? My guess is you need to procure a new digital ID and this is where you are being tripped up.

If you do need to procure a new digital ID, the next question is, do you need to get a high assurance digital ID from a trusted 3rd-party Certificate Authority (you, as the signature creator are the 1st party, and whomever you send the signed PDF file to is both the signature recipient, and also the 2nd party). The thing that makes a Certificate Authority (CA) trusted is because they will do identity vetting in order to ensure that you are who you say you are before they issue you a digital ID. When you get a digital ID from a CA you can think of it as a drivers license or password, not for what they allow you to do (drive a car or cross a border), but rather as a trusted and generally accepted piece of identification. Yes, a digital ID issued to you from a CA allows you to sign data just like a pen, but more importantly it acts as a trusted piece of identification. All that said, if you don't need a high assurance digital ID that proves you are who you say you are, then you can create your own digital ID. In that case the digital ID is really just a pen for signing and does not provide any trust regarding your identity. The advantage to creating your own digital ID is it's quick, easy, and free. The downside to getting a digital ID from a CA is it is time consuming and not free.

Since your have started down the path of creating your own digital ID already let's finish with that workflow and leave it for later to see if that meets the identity requirements of whomever you are sharing the signed file with. If you are seeing the dialog above select the bottom radio button next to "A new digital ID I want to create now", and then click the Next button. The contents of the next dialog you see is as dependent on whether you are on Mac or Windows. On Windows the next dialog asks you where you want to save the digital ID, either in a password protected file, or in the Windows Certificate Store. If you select the File option you will be asked to provide the password every time you sign a PDF file, whereas with the Windows option when you log into Window that provides the authentication to access the private key in the digital ID and thus when you sign a PDF file you won't be asked to provide a password. If you are on a Mac since saving the digital to a file is the only possible option this dialog is skipped. The next dialog is where you enter the information that you want contained in the digital ID that identifies you as the signer. If you've already filled out the Identity panel on the Preferences dialog then that data will be pulled in, but if not you you are going to need to add at a minimum a Name and an Email address, and then click the Next button. If you are saving the digital ID in a file, the next order of business is to pick a location where you want to save the file you are about to create and assign it a password to protect the private key from unauthorized access.  You're now on the last dialog for digital ID creation so you can click the Finish button.

This takes you to the Sign dialog. If you already had a valid digital ID to sign with you would have seen this dialog right after you inscribed the signature field and would have shipped all of the digital ID creation dialogs. If you saved your new digital ID in a file the Sign dialog will ask you to provide the password you just used (don't forget this password because you'll need it when you want to sign files at some later date). Enter the password and click the sign button. You'll be asked where you want to save the signed file (you can overwrite the existing file if you like, or you can save it as a new file), and once you've done that you'll have a digitally signed PDF file.

Steve

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think there is a different problem going on since I am experiencing the same issue as the original post.  I have Acrobat 11.0.09 on Windows 8.1 and prior to a recent update I simply clicked the "Place Signature" button and a TRANSPARENT signature (using an image I had previously assigned in preferences/signature) was put on the document.  Now, since the software was updated, when I click the same "Place Signature" button instead of overlaying the signature I have to create a signature block and then go through all the stuff you detail in your reply, Steve.  That is new in a recent release.  To make matters worse the new signature is not transparent it's opaque.  I recall this is how Acrobat standard used to work a long time ago.  Is there a way to go back to the transparent signature placement I saw in earlier versions of Acrobat 11?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Greg,

There a couple of different concepts that I fear are getting merged into one generic "signature" conversation blob. Let me start with some definitions:

A digital signature - A cryptographic operation based on using a digital ID that provides both proof of document and signer integrity. The actual signature is a blob of encoded and encrypted data written into the PDF file, but it may reference a field in the document that is a graphical representation of the signature, and is known as the signature appearance.

An electronic signature - An imaged added to a page in the PDF file that is a graphical representation of a "wet ink" signature. There is no cryptographic assurance that the signature is valid, or, what has purportedly been signed has not been altered. What you see on the page is all there is and there is no validation to check integrity.

It sounds like you were using an earlier major version of Acrobat or Reader (by major version I mean the "11" part of 11.0.9. The zero dot nine is the minor version) and when you upgraded to version 11 (or XI as you see it in the marketing branding) you lost the link to the image file you were using in version 10 or earlier.

It seems to me (correct me if I'm wrong) that you are trying to create an electronic signature with a image file that had the background opacity set to 0% so the background of the image did not obstruct the view of the text on the page. If you don't know where the original image file is you're not going to be able to use it in version 11. If you do know where it is you can do the following:

• Open the Fill & Sign pane on the toolbar
  • Expand the Fill & Sign Tools panel
  • Mouse over Place Signature and then select the drop-down menu by clicking the down-arrow button on the right
  • Select Change Saved Signature from the drop-down menu
  • Select the Use an image radio button
  • Click the Browse button to the right of the File Name edit field
  • Navigate to, and select the image you would like to use, and then click the Open button
  • Click the Accept button on the Place Signature dialog

At this point your mouse cursor is your signature. Click on the page wherever you'd like the electronic signature to appear and Acrobat will then revert to the normal editing mode.

Steve

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much Steve.  I have new info that I think points toward a bug in the latter version.  First, regarding your reply, yes I'm trying to create a transparent electronic signature using the "Place Signature" button and do not want the digital signature.  This was working in a previous release of Acrobat 11 as I wanted it to but in a more recent release it lost the link to the image like you said but then forced me to create a signature block, digital ID, etc.  I never saw the "How would you like to create your signature" window you reference above.  When I created the digital ID I chose local file.

While waiting for a reply to above I tried some things that may prove there is a bug here.  I deleted the digital ID.  I then created a new digital ID and told it to use Windows this time.  I then created a PDF and tried using the "Place Signature" button.  Once again it created a digital signature block which is not what I wanted and I had no other choice.  I then clicked the "Place Signature" button a SECOND time and the desired electronic signature transparent overlay appeared.  I created a new PDF and now every time I click "Place Signature" I get the desired transparent e-signature I had in earlier releases.  So, something was "stuck" and by creating a second digital signature it was unlocked.  Sounds like a bug to me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, its the electronic signature we are after.  That one would float over to where you needed it placed and released the mouse and dropped it on the line.

That is the one I was looking to use.  The digital signature only places what look like block letters on the line and some other info on the right.  I also tried to create a new digital ID but was not able to use the mouse as a pen as was not an option. 

Sounds like we are getting close to the bottom of this nonsense.

Hope this helps

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Sign Forms,

You definitely don't want to create a digital ID if what you are looking for is an electronic signature. You, like Greg above, seem to be in a situation where the Place Signature default is locked onto the certificate based digital signature workflow. Follow what I mentioned directly above and see if that gets you into the desired state.

However, and as an aside, should you ever decide to adopt the use of certificate based digital signatures for security purposes there are options to customize the signature appearance so it does not display the block letters you mentioned.

Steve

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would like, or rather use the digital version and yes I would like to be able to see it like the electronic one!  How do you do that?

"However, and as an aside, should you ever decide to adopt the use of certificate based digital signatures for security purposes there are options to customize the signature appearance so it does not display the block letters you mentioned."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 01, 2014 Oct 01, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hello,

i have a similar problem after upgrading to 11.0.09:

i use a digital ID from an USB Key to sign differents documents, without any problems for years, and after upgrading, Acrobat pro can't find my digital ID.

how could i solve this problem?

Thanks

Eric

Dell  Precision M6500 W7 64Capture.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Eric,

One thing that since the beginning of digital signatures in Acrobat/Reader the app didn't process the Extended Key Usage (EKU) extension, but that was remedied with version 11.0.9. Now, in order to be able to use a digital ID for signing a PDF file, the digital ID must not be limited to its use via the EKU. My guess is (and since this was the only change to signing in 11.0.9), you are trying to sign with a digital ID whose purpose has been limited by the issuing CA because they add a value to the EKU. 

Please follow these steps to get the usage setting and then let me know what they are:

• Select the Edit > Preferences menu item
  • Select Signatures from the Categories list box
  • Click the More button in the Identities & Trusted Certificates group box (the third button from the top)
  • Highlight your digital ID in the list box and then click the Certificate Details button on the toolbar
  • Highlight the text in the Intended Usage field on the Certificate Viewer dialog and copy the text

You can then paste that text into your reply and I can then explain why the digital ID is not allowed for signing.

Steve

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 02, 2014 Oct 02, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Steven,

here is the text from the Intended Usage field:

"Signature de transaction, Signature de document, Authentification du client"

Thanks for your help

Eric

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 02, 2014 Oct 02, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Eric,

The first two items (and I'm going to do this in English) ; Sign Transaction, and Sign Document are from the Key Usage extension (they represent the "digital signature" and "non-repudiation" bits respectively). Their presence limits the use of the digital ID to signing anything other than certificates and CRLs. If there was no Extended Key Usage (EKU) extension present you would still be able to sign a PDF file. However, the last item on the list (Client Authentication) is from theEKU extension and it tells the processing applications (in our case Acrobat & Reader) that the digital ID is further restricted to allowing the client (in other words, your computer) to authenticate to a server or system.

A bit about digital IDs. They are issued by trusted third party Certificate Authorities (CAs) and it's the CA that determines for what purpose a digital ID that they have issued may be used. The CA controls what goes into the usage, constraints, and policy extensions, and together those extensions define and narrow the purpose a the digital ID. The CA is governed by a set of policies and practices that are defined in publicly available documentation, and their whole existence is dependent on not varying from those rules. If they say (through the cert extensions) that they want the digital ID limited to a particular operation then it is incumbent on the  processing application (again, in our case that means Acrobat and Reader) to respect those limitations.  Yes, Acrobat used to ignore the EKU and that was a flaw in Acrobat. As you may imagine, ignoring the EKU caused problems for certain users and thus brought this flaw to light, which is why it was fixed in version 11.0.9.

The bottom line is, you need to coordinate with the CA that issued you your certificate and procure a new digital ID that is not restricted to client authentication. The three things that may be in the EKU that would allow signing of a PDF file are ; Allow Any, Email Security, and Code Signing. If the CA were to add one of those to the EKU along with Client Authentication, then you will be able to sign again.

Steve

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 10, 2014 Oct 10, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Steve,

I will follow your advice

eric

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 05, 2014 Nov 05, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Steve,

thanks for very thorough explanation, but to be absolutelly sure ... Certificate designed for Client Authentication cannot be used for document signing., Correct?

BTW: mine says this ... (crazynumber - OID is SmartCard Logon)

Intended usage: Sign transaction, Encrypt keys,
1.3.6.1.4.1.311.20.2.2, Client Authentication

Windows Store Cert Info:

c1.JPG

c2.JPG

Thanks,

Milos

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 05, 2014 Nov 05, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Milos,

Correct, Client Auth does not enable the cert for PDF signing, and for that matter neither does Smart Card Logon .

There are a a lot of little bits to consider. A certificate with neither the Key Usage (KU) extension nor the Extended Key Usage (EKU) extension is to be considered good for every and all possible operations that a certificate can be used for. Once the certificate authority (CA) adds one, or both, of those two extensions they are in essence limiting the use of the certificate. Where things get a bit messy is coming to the realization that the two extensions (KU & EKU) are processed separately. Both (if they are both present) must allow for signing a PDF, or more correctly, neither must disallow signing a PDF.

In the case of your certificate, the KU does allow for signing a PDF because it has the "Digital Signature" value, but the EKU does not allow for signing a PDF because it does not contain one of the three values (Allow Any, Email Protection, or Code Signing) that we require. At least one of those three values has to be there if the EKU is present for the certificate to be able to sign a PDF file.

All of these rules are defined in the internationally accepted standard RFC 5280, sections 4.2.1.3 & 4.2.1.12.

Steve

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 11, 2014 Nov 11, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

im also trying to use my electronic signature but to no avail. when my "place signature" window opens it does nto allow me to select any choice other than "use a certificate"  what gives?  never had issues before.  11.09 on windows 7

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 12, 2014 Nov 12, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi diber001,

If the PDF file already contains a signature field, then the author of the document expects you to sign using a certificate (that is, create a cryptographically secure digital signature) and not use an annotation based unsecured electronic signature, and thus, all of the other options on the Place Signature dialog are disable other than the Use a certificate option.

Steve

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines