• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to solve ADE crashing on Mac OSX 10.9 when opening library ascm/epub files?

Community Beginner ,
Oct 11, 2014 Oct 11, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When trying to open some, but not all, epub library books using ADE, ADE sometime simply crashes and quits, for specific books.  The only error message I get is "Adobe Digital Editions quit unexpectedly"  —which is not a terribly helpful message, since it's pretty obvious what just happened.  I'm using a mid 2009 macbook with Mavericks (10.9.5) and some of my library books work just fine, while others crash the machine when I try to read them (the book downloads & shows up in my library, but if I try to read it, ADE crashes & quits.  I'm using the same reader, same computer, and same library account  for everything I've read using ADE and I cannot find any useful help about why ADE will open some of my library books, but not others, even though they all appear to be in the same format.  I was hoping that ADE would get me out from under the tyranny of Kindle and actually be a functional e-reader on my laptop, but so far, that has not been the case.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having exactly the same issue on a MacBook Air.  Just downloaded the software and a large textbook today.  Followed all the directions but the book will not load.  The read me first document that loaded with the software opens without issue.  Need this text tonight.  Hope someone has an answer.  Is there not a way to call (even if I am paying for the call) customer support?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I got rid of ADE 4.0 & uploaded & installed ADE 2.0 & that seems to have allowed the item that kept crashing version 4.0 to open w/o issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In doing that did you have to upload all of your books again? I tried downloading ADE 2 while still having 4 and it did not work. Afraid to lose my books.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 12, 2014 Oct 12, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

All 3 of my books transferred over without my having had to do anything at all.  If you're worried about retaining books, you could try moving your ADE 4 to an external drive & confirming that your books are also there.  I believe that the book information is saved elsewhere (separately from the ADE) and it should simply transfer over, but since I only had three books, all library items, I didn't have much to lose.  All I can speak from is my own experience.  I had to get rid of ADE 4 in order to successfully install ADE 2.0.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines