Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Creating Image Captions: Best Practice?

New Here ,
Oct 13, 2014 Oct 13, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello-

I'm currently using RoboHelp to create an HTML-based internal user guide for a software product. This guide has many images and figures in it and each will need an accompanying caption. Each caption must appear centered directly beneath the accompanying image.

I need some guidance on two issues, please:

1. What is the best practice for inserting a caption along with an image?  I currently cannot find any tool or which enables a RoboHelp user to insert an image into a document and designate a caption to be displayed with that image.

2. Each image will be uniquely numbered (Figure 1, Figure 2, etc.). It may be necessary, as the document is drafted and redrafted, to remove images from and insert other images into the document. How can the numbering of images be set up so that the removal or addition of an image will automatically reset the numbering of all affected images accordingly?  I would very much like to avoid resetting dozens of image number-designations manually.

Thank you-

Michael

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 13, 2014 Oct 13, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

As far as the captions go, I would normally include the caption as part of the image itself. If you feel you must keep the text separate, I'm guessing you will need to resort to tables. One column and two rows.

As for the numbering, that one will be pretty tough. Keep in mind that in the world of HTML, people don't typically consume content in a linear fashion as they once did when all we had was print.

Someone may pop in here with some solution I've been unaware of. But presently, I'm unaware of a way to force that type of numbering.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 14, 2014 Oct 14, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Well, there’s always the FM to RH route, I guess – complex numbering is easily handled by FM. I’m not so sure about the requirement for perfectly centered captions though (I know it can be done in FM, but I’m not sure how it would survive the trip to RH).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp