• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Problem Viewing Multimedia in CHM

New Here ,
Oct 13, 2014 Oct 13, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems as though viewing multimedia in a CHM file generated with RH9 or RH10 is broken.  I have a project that was originally created with RH7 or RH8.  It's been upgraded to RH9.  Today, I noticed that an SWF file embedded in a help topic is not working in the compiled CHM.  It's works in the Viewer in the project.  Others seem to be having similar issues.  I haven't seen any definitive answers posted.  What does Adobe have to say?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Have you ensured you have the latest and greatest version of the Flash Player installed?

Is the CHM running in 64 bit or 32 bit mode?

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Programs and Features shows Flash Player 15 ActiveX and Flash Player 15 Plugin, installed 9/30/14.  In Settings, I see Flash Player (32-bit) to manage settings.  I'm running with Windows 7, 64-bit. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll try to better explain

Things got really confusing with the advent of commonplace 64 bit operating systems. The CHM file may now be displayed using either a 32 bit version of the CHM viewer or the 64 bit version. So the trick is to ensure you have the latest Flash player for each version.

When you launch a CHM file by double-clicking it, you are likely running the 64 bit version of the CHM viewer. As this relies on the 64 bit version of Microsoft Internet Explorer, you need to ensure you are running the latest Flash ActiveX control for that version.

The link below should assist with the IE stuff.

Version of IE 32 bit or 64 bit? - How can I tell which version I - Microsoft Community

Personally, I'd test two ways. Immediately after compiling the CHM file, click the button RoboHelp offers that runs it. Does the content load then? Also double-click the CHM and test that way.

I'm not sure about the most recent versions of RoboHelp, but at one point it would always launch the 32 bit version of the viewer. So you would see different results depending on whether RoboHelp was opening the CHM file and using the 32 bit viewer or whether you double-clicked the CHM file and caused the 64 bit viewer to load up.

Sorry to be so confusing. It's a muddy issue!

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have IE 10.  The About dialog does not mention 64-bit, so I'm running 32-bit according to the link you provided.  But I don't believe it. The shortcut properties show the target as C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe, which should be 64-bit (not x86 directory).

Are you saying that I will be running 32-bit CHM Viewer if I am running 32-bit IE and similarly for 64-bit?

I have Flash Active X installed for IE 64-bit as far as I can tell.

So where's the issue?  Are you saying that I may be compiling the CHM in RH to run as 32/bit but my viewer may be 64-bit?  Do I need Flash versions for 32-bit as well as 64-bit?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, a CHM is a CHM is a CHM. They are all the same and there is no 32 or 64 bit version that is compiled by RoboHelp. Think of them as you would a Microsoft Word document. Same deal. The CHM VIEWER is what matters. And the viewer may be either version. The CHM viewer relies on bits of Microsoft Internet Explorer as its display engine. It's entirely possible that you could open the 32 bit version of IE and try to view Flash and see a different version reported than you would the 64 bit version.

So, let's try a different approach. Just use Windows Explorer. Open the SWF. Does it play? If so, right-click it and you should see the Flash context menu, It should report the version of Flash being used.

Now do the same thing with the CHM. Right-click where the SWF should appear. Do you even get a Flash context menu? If so, what version does it report?

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, I get it re the viewer.  When attempting to open the swf file in Windows Explorer, it says that Windows can't open the file. I right-clicked, and chose Open with.  Now a Flash Install screen invites me to install 15.0.0.167 for my 64-bit system. Been here and done this as far as I know.  I have the ActiveX and plugin for version 15 installed.  Is there a different approach to running the swf in IE?   With Chrome, I can drag the file into the browser to view it, and it works.  Dragging into IE displays a small x icon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LOL, here's where it gets even more squirrelly. IE uses an ActiveX control for its Flash while Firefox uses an add in that you download and install separately. And I've seen cases where one actually has to revert to an earlier version of Flash in order to view some content.

Out of curiosity, what does this SWF contain?

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Not a good way to end the day.  The swf content is a short screen capture tutorial from Captivate, which is used in a customer help system.  Been there forever, and just discovered today that it doesn't work.  Thanks for your help.  Wish Adobe/Microsoft would give guidance.  Any suggestions?  KB articles?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp