• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Unreconciliable need for Administrative Privileges for Installation

New Here ,
Oct 19, 2014 Oct 19, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My automated detection of updates for Flash Player alerted me tonight that an update is available but claims that it requires administrative privileges in order to proceed with the installation.

I was completely unable to locate, even with help from a Google search, the file responsible for these updates and so took the logical step of downloading the whole thing separately.

I gave the installation file administrative privileges but it still claims "process not elevated".

**This is a serious security issue that I need resolved.**

It is insane to use programs/code that are susceptible to malware attacks without the ability to stay updated with the latest security updates and if my issue cannot be resolved I will have to consider ceasing all Flash activity.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

lit_reflex wrote:

I gave the installation file administrative privileges but it still claims "process not elevated".

It is not the installer file that needs administrative privileges, but the installation process.

If you don't know how to do that, tell us your operating system.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My apologies.  I completely forgot about listing relevant system information.

I am using Windows 7 64-bit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Download the offline installers and save them to your local disk:

then right-click on each installer and select Run as Administrator.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK that doesn't work and I tried creating an Administrator account and bullshit Windows is telling me that "Administrator" is an invalid name because it contains an invalid character such as ".:,*" etc.

This is BULLSHIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Administrator account is created when Windows is installed; you cannot create another one (with the name Administrator).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried other names and do not have UAC on...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use the Windows built-in Administrator account to install updates.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 20, 2014 Oct 20, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No such account exists when I try switching.

There are two "guest" accounts and I have never created a second account for anything.

A bug perhaps?

In any case, it appears to be impossible to create or access an/the Administrator account.

A good question would be why any of this is necessary all of a sudden when in the past NONE of it was!!!!!

I have NEVER used the Administrator account which does not exist for updating or installing Flash so why is it necessary now?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your ongoing help in this matter by the way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe I have found a solution.  There is apparently a way to change a guest account into an Admin one and I'm going to try that right now.  I'll get back to you on what happens.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK this is frikkin outrageous.  I clicked OK after selecting to change the account to Admin and NOTHING HAPPENS; it reports the account as being "guest" still".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't even access changing user account control settings.  This is an outrage.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Flash Player (and Adobe Reader) installs have always required administrative privileges.

But as I have explained in my post #3, you don't need to switch accounts, just run the installer 'as Administrator'.  I think you are intentionally making the process more complicated than it is!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I need to show you some proof of what it is I am saying....

noadmin.png

I don't know if you can read it due to the inability to see a proper sized copy but it does show you that there is no administrator account.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh and furthermore running the offline installer with admin privileges still causes an error message saying that the process is not elevated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I really don't know what you are doing; all you need to do is

run_as_administrator.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 21, 2014 Oct 21, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have solved the problem and am posting what I discovered here so others experiencing this problem can benefit.

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/enable-the-hidden-administrator-account-on-windows-vist...

"Many people familiar with prior versions of Windows are curious what happened to the built-in Administrator account that was always created by default. Does this account still exist, and how can you access it?

The account is created in Windows 7, 8, or Vista, but since it’s not enabled you can’t use it. If you are troubleshooting something that needs to run as administrator, you can enable it with a simple command.

Note: You really shouldn’t use this account for anything other than troubleshooting. In fact, you probably shouldn’t use it at all."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 21, 2014 Oct 21, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

OK EVEN THIS IS REQUIRING ADMINISTRATIVE PRIVILEGE THAT IS NOT SATISFIED BY RUNNING THE FILE "AS ADMINISTRATOR"!

I am seeking help from professionals and will post the results here in due time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines