• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can you move a single vertical line in a table in Indesign ?

New Here ,
Oct 15, 2014 Oct 15, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok I have a very complex medical form with several rows and columns. The problem is that I want to move just sections of a column line and I can't seem to figure it out. Below is a screen shot of part of the form. The vertical line between 1st QA and 2nd QA is what I'm talking about. The one you see I drew but I'd prefer to have that as an actual column line. Make Sense ? Thanks for any help.

Screen Shot 2014-10-15 at 3.51.40 PM.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 19, 2014 Oct 19, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In this case, since the whole thing is one table, you could split a cell further into two columns, so you get another vertical separator to move independently.

If "1ST QA" and "2ND QA" is currently one merged cell, you'll have to unmerge, split the 2nd column's cell vertically, then re-merge the appropriate cells. You can shift-drag the new cell divider line by itself.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 23, 2014 Oct 23, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THANKS for the reply, my issue is I want to ONLY move the vertical line between 1st QA and 2nd QA if I do as you suggest it moves the whole column line. I only want to move a segment. I for the life of me can't figure it out. Would appreciate some more input. BTW I'm on the most current version of In Design

Thanks again for any help you can offer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use to make a lot of forms. If we had a sample, we would always begin by drawing columns on the printout to determine how many columns the table would need. If we were designing from scratch, we basically would create a table with more columns than we believed we would need, (almost) always an odd number so if we needed a rule in the center at any point, then it would be there. Then we would begin entering the static labels, combining cells as needed. Sometimes with a from-scratch form, we would use a typewriter to type the static text, arranged by eye and using tabs to align to "columns" and then draw would lines to represent the tables we would eventually create (typically in Word or WordPerfect).

I would recommend you do a similar approach. You will need more columns than you presently have.

Mike

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

What I was suggesting is this:

1) Unmerge that cell, so that it now is split into the 4 columns, as above.

2) Split the 2nd column's cell into two (not the whole column—just that cell).

3) Merge cells 1 & 2, and 3-5 in that row. Now you have a divider that you can move without affect the rest of the table, because it will be hidden everywhere else. Make sure to hold down SHIFT as you drag to move it without resizing the table.

That new column is there all the way up, but InDesign will see the cells above that as being merged.

Unlike Word & PPT, InDesign sees tables as rigid structures—and I prefer it that way—as opposed to how Word & PPT allow you to move them independently after merging. That usually creates more work keeping everything aligned.

Here's another method:

1) Keep the cell merged as it is, but make the margins 0.

2) Insert a new 2 column, 1 row table in that cell and resize.

3) Remove all the borders except the middle vertical divider.

That method is a little funky—and it won't resize automatically with the rest of the table if you want that—but it kind of works in a pinch.

Rich

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines