http://www.learnhost.com/templates/TemplateCT2.htm

How do I do it?
TOPICS
Getting started

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 17, 2007 Aug 17, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jason

I sent you an offline reply that you may find helpful for this little project. Hopefully you will enjoy it!

Sincerely... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 21, 2007 Aug 21, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am also trying to create a menu similar to this. Can you forward the answer to me also?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would also like it please. Big Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi cblizard and welcome to our community

I'll be happy to send you a link if you will provide your E-Mail address. Mine is captiv8r (at) kc (dot) rr (dot) com.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Aug 22, 2007 Aug 22, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

??
To the folks who might benefit from an on-forum answer to this question, allow me to try:

Captivate is delivered with sample project and template files. The SWF linked to above was created by simply modifying a background image that came with the product. The 800x500 background image was separated, possibly by inserting one or more highlight boxes, into two sections: The left section of about 180 pixels is used for a TOC or Index (complete with links), and the right section of about 620 pixels is used as the content area - where other images or text can be placed.

The links in the left section are probably created by click-boxes pointing to other slides (with the same background but with slightly different content), and the "hover color" is likely created by a rollover image or caption.

Nothing real mysterious about any of it, but I hope that summary of what you (JasonReck) were looking at makes it less difficult-looking or mysterious.

There is no smoke and mirrors here. I am uncertain why "Captiv8r" felt it necessary to treat the explanation as though it is a secret, or private in some way. And while I hope I'm not giving away someones "State Secrets", I promise it is not at all a difficult scenario to create (or "recreate", as the case may be). Nearly all the work has been done for you by the Captivate Development team and included in everyone's copy of the product.

Have a good day, All!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 22, 2007 Aug 22, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all

For anyone watching this thread, Mr. JasonReck had contacted me offline regarding some files I've been attempting to get posted to the Captivate Exchange for everyone to have access to. This was prompted by a response to a different thread. After seeing his note, I saw his request here for something along the lines of the template that was linked to from this thread.

For what it's worth, there was never any "smoke and mirrors" or intentional mystery or effort to keep things a secret or imply it was extremely difficult to do and best left to more capable developers.

Perhaps I have a different way of learning than others. I'll freely and openly admit this. While I'm more than happy to read about something and try to implement what I've read about, I learn far more by actually seeing something in use first hand.

While it's true that Captivate does include a template that seems to have been used to a certain degree as a foundation to create what JasonReck linked to, what the two actually contain are substantially different. The template supplied by Captivate results in a project containing a grand total of 11 slides with no navigation other than the Next button to move from one slide to the next. The template JasonReck linked to appears to contain 23 slides and have lots of navigation built into it. The look, feel and operation are substantially different. Therefore I would have to disagree that "Nearly all the work has been done for you by the Captivate Development team", as there would be a fair amount of work yet to be done to make what Captivate supplies come close to what the template offers up.

Basically, I decided to have a bit of fun dissecting and reverse engineering what was offered at the link JasonReck provided. But to just explain all the steps that were required as opposed to simply offering JasonReck the template seemed a bit of overkill in this case. I then pondered which approach JasonReck might appreciate more? Reading all about the steps I took to create something matching what he saw or offering up the template I had already created so it could be explored first hand? I suppose JasonReck is the only person that can honestly answer whether I guessed correctly.

The bottom line here is that there was never overt and intentional obfuscation of information or intent to keep anything clandestine from the world at large. I never "felt it necessary to treat the explanation as though it is a secret, or private in some way." as I seem to have been accused of. I've freely and openly provided the link to anyone that asked via E-Mail as I requested. I don't wish to publicly post the link here, as there are bandwidth limitations where it resides and I don't wish to exhaust my account.

Sincerely... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Aug 23, 2007 Aug 23, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
My intent was to provide an answer to the 99% of our members who were left out of that non-reply, Rick. That 99% include the members who want or need to remain anonymous, some of whom might even require special employer permissions before giving up their email address as was being required. The "left-out" 99% also includes the members who come to the forums to "lurk" and find answers without having to reveal themselves to anyone.

No insult to you, "Captiv8r" was intended ... only an effort to clarify that there was no magic, special secrets, or fancy tricks to creating the template shown at the link given by the original poster.

Have a good day, All!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources