• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Multi-platform delivery of Adaptive Bit Rate Video Streaming Utilizing Captivate Video Player

Community Beginner ,
Oct 20, 2014 Oct 20, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We are leveraging SCORM for our Learning Management System. In as much, we are delivering content to 7,000+ individuals using both iOS and Android/PC; as well as desktop, laptop, tablet, phablet, and smart phone. The question is this, because the internet speed and bandwidth vary we have to leverage Adaptive Bit Rate Streaming. Currently we're using Amazon Web Services Adobe Media Server to Stream our files however if we upload differing bit rates we aren't able to enter in a URL/URI/HTTP with the xml manifest file instructing the player to determine A; if the content is for iOS or Android/Microsoft and B; it's not determining a specific file, put simply whatever we upload is streamed as flash, using RTMP protocol which doesn't work with any Hand-held device because it uses flash (not available on phones) which means that we need to utilize HTTP, but it doesn't matter what I enter into captivate, the streaming service is still utilizing flash. Anyway, moving forward. Here is the solution we need and we've been asking for months now but no one seems to have any idea how to explain the limitations of captivate, or the workaround, or the proper way to leverage captivate to this purpose.

So, how, using Adobe Captivate 8, can I stream a video, using Adaptive Bit Rate Transcoding/Encoding (without using YouTube) to deliver my training to ANY device?

While the adobe media server is great there is no clear instruction on how you create one file extension/address that will link to either F4V, MPEG4, or m3u8. (HDV, HDL respectively)

Secondly, how do we get this to utilize the Adaptive Bit Rate - being that it is the sole purpose we purchased the not so inexpensive Adobe Media Server?

Need an answer to this as soon as possible as this is completely and totally killing our work flow and LMS development and frankly, the Captivate videos, tutorials, and PDF manual do little discuss this in any technical fashion. Looking forward to your response. Many thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 21, 2014 Oct 21, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do not know much about captivate...But i will let you k now AMS perspective( I hope it adds value)

if your end users are on PC/desktop they can use Flash player and hence rtmp streaming for AMS would suffice the needs...

All you mobile users are much likely to be consuming http streaming content and hence you must use Adobe media servers HDS/HLS streaming service.

Same stream can be used for http as well as rtmp streaming...albeit in case of live stream, the http will have some delay(about 30 seconds in thedefault setup)) as compared to rtmp.

As for adaptive bit rate streaming, it can be done both on rtmp as well as http connection and they are (configuring them is) separate and independent of each other. There are sections on Adobe help on how to configure adaptive but rate streaming in Adobe media server.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 21, 2014 Oct 21, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

After Digging the forums...I got this for you..

How do you enabling FMS 3.5 dynamic streaming/adaptive bitrate in Captivate?????

BTW, IMHO, Can not you emulate adaptive bit rate in captivate by targeting different applications on server depending on the type of client.

I mean you can have device name appended to the stream and use that to figure out what to stream on the server side. I know it is a crude solution, but if i was as in as much despair, i would certainly try that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines