• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Failed FTP upload: 553 error

Explorer ,
Oct 08, 2014 Oct 08, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Muse 2014.2 is failing to upload the same site that 2014.1 uploaded often without problems. I haven't changed login credentials or anything. Help please!

Capture.JPG

TOPICS
Bugs

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 09, 2014 Oct 09, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have had the same problem. I have tried every variant in the FTP upload dialogue without success. CuteFTP can see the remote host and I can transfer files to it that way. As you say, 2014.1 worked with no problems at all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since the update 2014.2 I cannot upload to FTP host either. I can connect via Filezilla  - so it is just Muse that is broken. This needs to be fixed now!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What hosting provider are you using? It appears they have protections in place that are preventing Muse from uploading an updated .htaccess file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Zac, the problem is with Muse, not the hosting. Specifically the 2014.2 update. 2014.1 and all previous versions since the introduction of FTP upload worked just fine, but suddenly yesterday when a client noticed a typo on their site I started getting that error. Can this be marked as urgent please? For what it's worth I use these hosting providers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, Muse 2014.2 is the first version that requires the ability to update the .htaccess file on your server (for the synchronized text feature, and in the future other new features). Thus 2014.2 is encountering this access limitation on your host.

You can choose to wait for us to update Muse so verifying the .htaccess file can be updated is a warning rather than an error for sites that are not yet using synchronized text, but if you're already using synchronized text or plan to use it (or other future features) you'll need to work with your hosting provider to enable Muse to update the .htaccess file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In which case Zac, this is an unfortunate turn for Muse to take, and you need to rethink it urgently. Many of us don't have root access to our hosting, the root account details are confidential to company management and as an employee I only have access to an FTP login account, which means I am no longer able to maintain or develop any websites for our business. This needs to be fixed, and fast.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 10, 2014 Oct 10, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Point taken. We will remove the requirement for sites that aren't using Synchronized Text, and we'll look at doing that as soon as possible. For sites that do use Synchronized Text it may take longer to develop a viable workaround.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 12, 2014 Oct 12, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to let the people on this thread know; I have had the same problem and the hosting company say that they recommend contacting adobe (basically it's become a buck-pass) Ipage say that they need to know what the hosting requirements of adobe muse are. (like I said 'passing the buck)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have another FTP-problem!

I cannot upload my clients site to his host provider - Adobe Muse says: Could not sign you in (connection timed out after 15000 milliseconds) Check your username and password.

The FTP server as well as the username and password is correct.

I have tried to paste the ftpPrefs.xml to : ~/Library/Preferences/Adobe/Adobe Muse CC/2014.2/

It does not work - Its a big problem as i have a deadline for the site tuesday!!

What to do?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I'm having the same issue also. Under Muse 2014.1 sites would upload via FTP (to GoDaddy), now under Muse 2014.2 I get "Could not sign you in (connection timed out after 15000 milliseconds) Check your username and password."

I've not used 'syncronized text' on any site.

Can we get this fixed quickly (like tomorrow/Monday)?

If not is there a graceful way to downgrade to Muse 2014.1?

Thank,

Gary

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Oct 13, 2014 Oct 13, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Zak,

Can you tell me/us precisely what we would need to ask our hosting provider (such as GoDaddy) in order to enable this?

Thanks,

Gary

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are 2 or 3 different issues now being discussed in this thread.

553 Error Uploading .htaccess

Error uploading file .htaccess. Click Resume to try again. If this problem persists, try again later [Failed FTP upload: 553]

Reported by: Inkpot_Printing, JoBur5, and Derek Winterburn

550 Error Uploading .htaccess

Error uploading file .htaccess Click to Resume to try again. If this problem persists, try again later [Failed FTP upload: 550]

Originally reported here <https://forums.adobe.com/message/6815323>

Reported by: mikepowers79, andIceShaft

15 second timeout attempting to login via FTP

Could not sign you in (connection timed out after 15000 milliseconds) Check your username and password.

Reported by: thegreatest, andgaryn321

The 553 and 550 errors are most likely just two different errors for the .htaccess file being protected from updates in two different ways. In the short-term the only workaround for those two errors is to use File > Upload to FTP Host and then use an external FTP client to upload the files to your server. We're actively working on an update to remove the requirement to be able to update the .htaccess file, at least for sites that are not using Synchronized Text.

The cause of the 15 second timeout is unclear, other that it's clearly not related to the 553 or 550 errors.

The first few things to check are:

1) "Passive (PASV)" is selected in the FTP dialog Options section.

2) The FTP Server name entered is just the server name of the form xxx.yyy.zzz without any prefix or folder suffix (i.e. no ftp:// prefix and no trailing /myfolder).

3) Triple check the credentials and server name are correct.

4) Verify the "Method" in the Options section is set to FTP.

thegreatest, andgaryn321 it would be helpful to know what hosting providers you're using and the URLs for your sites. We did lower the default timeout in 2014.2. In 2014.1 it was so long customers were commonly force quitting rather than waiting long enough for the timeout error to appear, when there was a connection problem with the server. It's extraordinarily unusual for login to a functioning FTP server to take more than a couple seconds. If the above items don't make any difference, I'll provide a prefs file and some instructions for how to force a longer timeout so we can see whether this really is a timeout error due extraordinarily slow FTP connections.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All,

My apologies. Upon peeling the onion I have found out that my client made changes to their hosting account without informing me.

This issue does not apply to me.

Sincerely,

Gary

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many thanks Zac, your superstar efforts are much appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, but I'd much prefer we hadn't broken it in the first place. We should have an update next week. Sooner if we can.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 14, 2014 Oct 14, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Zak,

Regarding this error:

15 second timeout attempting to login via FTP

Could not sign you in (connection timed out after 15000 milliseconds) Check your username and password.

Im am sorry that I had to stress this point. But i found out as well that my client had screwed up his DNS settings. When i got the chance to fix those I could upload through ftp again - so pardon for bothering you with this. I think it is fixed

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Zac

Does Muse modify the .htaccess file or does it overwrite it? I've got SEO 303 redirects and file upload limitations set up and losing those would be a lot of work to fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It amends. It will create a separate section within the .htaccess file which Muse will maintain. If you're not using Synchronized Text, the section will be empty.

# Begin Muse Generated redirects

# End Muse Generated redirects

If you're using Synchronized Text, Muse will write 301 redirects so the pages that were formerly .html that are now .php (to support updating Synchronized Text using In-Browser Editing) have redirects so links to the former .html files continue to work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 21, 2014 Oct 21, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you're a member of the Adobe Muse Prerelease Program, we've just posted a prerelease build of 2014.2.1 with changes that eliminate the requirement to be able to update the .htaccess file during upload (as well as fixes for a number of other issues). We would welcome your feedback, on museprerelease.com, to confirm the changes fully address your needs. Thanks.

The Adobe Muse Prerelease Program is open to all active subscribers who can accept the terms of the Non-Disclosure Agreement. You can join by visiting http://museprerelease.com

Assuming nothing unexpected comes up during this brief prerelease, the 2014.2.1 update be available via Creative Cloud next week.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 23, 2014 Oct 23, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello zak

My ftp problem (after upgrading to CC2014.1 and 2) was solved after I had uploaded an empty .htacces file to the rootmap

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 15, 2015 Feb 15, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Zak, I'm having problems with uploading too, and get this message whenever I try: Server not responding in time, FTP may not be supported on this server [Connection timed out after 15000 millseconds].

For what it's worth, my client has used whois.com as their hosting provider.

It would be great if you could try to assess the problem I'm facing.

Thanks,

Mark

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MarkRPeters‌ If you're using 2014.3, please try selecting the "Auto" option in the Options area of the FTP Upload dialog. It will attempt to detect the most secure FTP protocol supported by the server. I don't know about whois.com, but a small number of hosting providers have dropped support for plain FTP and require either SFTP or FTPS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Zak, and thanks for your response.

I was able to upload, but once I did, it didn't upload the site I created in Muse. Instead, it changed the site to this:

Belleville Screen Shot.png

I'm really confused, I've never had this problem with any other site I've published with Muse.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 11, 2015 Mar 11, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've just downloaded the updated Muse 2014 (3) and tried to upload to the ftp host using the new auto feature. And it is still not working! Is there any other ways I can fix this? I have a new update that I have been working on for months and it seems crazy that I can't upload it although I have previously entered all the ftp information.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines