Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Nvidia Geforce GTX780 vs Quadro K2200

New Here ,
Oct 09, 2014 Oct 09, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi guys,

i'll buy a new graphic card for my workstation hp Z200 on win7 pro 64bit.

I have some trouble reading 4K footage. Actually, I got a geforce GTX470 with 1280MB RAM...

I don't know if it's better to buy a Quadro K2200 with 4GB RAM but 640 Cuda Cores or if the GTX780 with 3GB RAM but 2304 Cuda Cores...

I know Geforce is more for gamers and Quadro for professionnal use but what about specifications ? What will the best for Adobe CC 2014 ( Premiere Pro, AE and Media Encoder...)

Thanks for your feedback guys.

Best regards

Nico - from France

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guru ,
Oct 10, 2014 Oct 10, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I suggest getting the Geforce 970GTX or 980GTX. Don't get that Quadro. it will not help your performance.

Eric

ADK

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your feedback Eric. Why GeForce is better ?

GTX980 is not in the specs for Adobe Premiere Pro on Adobe website. Is there supported for GPU acceleration ?

A Friends told me getting AMD FirePro or AMD R9 290x... I'm a bit lost with all this graphic card...

I wanna do the right choice...

Please help me more... Thanks for all

Nico

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Geforce cards have far better hardware specs ie cuda cores, memory bandwidth, and clock speed which are the primary factors for GPU acceleration performance. Do not get AMD cards. Cuda performs far better than Open CL right now with Adobe. That means Nvidia. cards are the way to go regardless of the AMD card specs. Also the 900 series cards have HDMi 2.0 which fully supports 4K at 60 frame. None of the other cards do right now including the Quadro or AMD cards via HDMi.Yes all of the Geforce cards including the 900 series work fine with the Adobe MPE acceleration. You just want to add the card to the supported list in AME CC 2014. It will work in Premiere CC 2014 regardless now.

Eric

ADK

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 22, 2014 Oct 22, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Eric,

I just bought the new GTX970 yesterday and the problem still here...

I cannot editing 1080 and 4K footage at 100Mbps from the Panasonic GH4 !

Anyone can help me ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What are the specs for the rest of the system. What do you mean you cant edit? What are you running into? What Nvidia driver did you install?

Eric

ADK

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I run on Win7 Pro 64 bits with Intel Xeon X3450, 16Gb RAM, windows on SSD, media on a raid 1 volume (mirroring)

By I cannot editing, I mean that playback is freezing or jerking...

I think my raid volume is not enough faster reading and writing data...

This is the last driver installed, version 344.16

I bought the new 970 for nothing...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The CPU would definitely have a hard time really pushing that card and raid 1 is not good for a media drive especially with 4K XAVC. I would break that raid up after you take the data off and change to a raid 0. See what your playback is like then.  However RJL is correct that the CPU is going to limit your performance for 4K.

Eric

ADK

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure. Thanks both.

Eric, you suggest me give back my 970 to save money for a new system and better buying a new SSD for my medias ? Could be a good idea ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No you need the better video card either way for the media your trying to work with. You can always use the better card in a new system that should have that card anyway. Yes an SSD would be far better for that media.

Eric

ADK

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Eric ! I´ll try with a new SSD. Hope it will good, at least for 50Mbps and 100Mbps GH4 full HD  footage. Will also try on a single 7200rpm hard disk rather my 2 7200rpm raid 1 hard disks.

I'll post the results.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 13, 2015 Aug 13, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nico,

Guess what? Your Z200 has a relatively ancient (by today's standards) first-generation LGA 1156 Lynnfield- or Clarkdale-based i-series CPU, which is seriously limited in expansion/upgrade capablilties. Without knowing what your system's exact CPU is, I cannot recommend a GPU upgrade, especially since the performance improvement that such an upgrade entails may be limited by the performance of your system's CPU.

In addition, your system supports only PCI-e 2.0, not the newer PCI-e 3.0 that current high-end GPUs utilize. Thus, your performance improvement is seriously limited not only by your system's CPU, but also by the older, slower PCI-e bus version. No wonder why you got practically zero improvement over your existing GTX 470.

As such, I'd recommend saving up for an entirely new system at this point.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As I said, my CPU is an Intel Xeon QuadCore X3450@2,67GHhz

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, but that CPU is now four generations old at this point. It is actually slower than an i7-860 that it was based on. (That X3450 runs at only 2.66GHz versus the i7-860's 2.8GHz.)

Also, it's a good thing that you didn't go for the Quadro K2200: It is essentially a GTX 750 Ti with the memory throughput of the plain GTX 750 (80 GB/s instead of the 86.4 GB/s throughput of the 750 Ti).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You think my CPU is older. But you know when I play video and I look in the task manager, CPU use is not at 100%...

Do you think I´d rather change my CPU than my GPU ? Maybe the new Xeon E5 1620 @ 3,5GHz is a good choice ?

And my GTX470 is not older too ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can't really upgrade the CPU on such an older system at this point: Any such upgrades for that system's obsolete LGA 1156 socket will cost you more money than what performance improvement justifies. In addition, you cannot install an e5 series CPU at all on your system's current motherboard because the CPU and motherboard are completely incompatible with one another (the CPU will not even physically fit the motherboard's CPU socket at all).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Need to buy a new system...

Better a Mac Pro or a new HP Zxxx workstation ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, if you play video and your system's CPU utilization doesn't reach anywhere near 100%, then there is likely a bottleneck somewhere else in your system. For example, you might have been using only a single hard disk for absolutely everything - OS, programs, media, projects, scratch and exports..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope, medias, cache, projects and export are on different volume than my OS.

OS and programs are on SSD, Other on raid 1 volume.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ngvideo wrote:

Nope, medias, cache, projects and export are on different volume than my OS.

There's part of your problem. Ideally, the cache should be on a separate volume from your media/projects drive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines