• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

McAfee and Flash Player - STOP IT!!!!

LEGEND ,
Oct 17, 2014 Oct 17, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a feeling that this isn't a forum that anyone at Adobe actually reads.  If that's the case, I think it's shameful the way Adobe just shoves users off onto other users for things like this, instead of actually wanting to be the ones in charge of handling things.

If that's not the case:

Dear Adobe,

What I really want is for you to stop packaging McAfee AV with your Flash Player installs and updates.  McAfee is one of the worst AV applications on the market (just ask anyone who has had the .vxd BSOD after installing something without temporarily disabling McAfee), doesn't work nearly as well as any of the other AV apps (like AVG, Avira, avast!, etc.), and has long outlived its usefulness. Sadly, McAfee is probably big enough, by now, that it won't be going away, anytime soon.

However, if there is something PREVENTING you from dropping McAfee from the Flash Player installs (like some kind of horrid contractual obligation), then please, at least do us the favour of NOT automatically checking the "Include McAfee" checkbox during installation.  First of all, if someone installing or updating Flash already has an AV app on their system, installing a second one can cause conflicts.  Secondly (and I have a feeling this is what you guys are counting on), not everyone will SEE that it's automatically checked and wind up installing McAfee without realising it, without wanting it, without fully consenting to it.  Thirdly, it's just plain insulting to those of us who actually know a good AV app is.

If you insist on keeping McAfee in the Flash Player (or other apps) install or upgrade packages, then this PC user will have no choice but to take Steve Jobs' advice and completely remove Flash from my system.

Thank you,

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

disable auto-updates and update manually.  you can then untick mcafee .

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 20, 2014 Oct 20, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I guess I didn't thoroughly explain as well as I thought I had.

The "unticking" is precisely what I am complaining about.  If Adobe wants to include McAfee with app install/upgrade setups, fine.. JUST DON'T DEFAULT THE CHECKBOX TO ON!!!!

Please re-read my original post (read it, don't 'scan' it looking for keywords).. my primary complaint is with the fact that Adobe is including a sub-par AV package with Flash Player install/upgrade.  Beyond that ("if there is something PREVENTING you from dropping McAfee from the Flash Player installs (like some kind of horrid contractual obligation)"), Adobe is (most likely) relying upon either people's desire to install something quickly (thus not seeing that the checkbox is checked for McAfee); or people who are not 'seasoned' users and don't realise that companies who don't have scruples will try to trick them into installing something they don't necessarily want along with what they do want.

I find this practice deplorable.  Not just because it's unethical to prey upon common practices of clicking the SETUP button without necessarily reading EVERYTHING, but also because (as I mentioned in my original post) installing an AV package on a system that already HAS an AV package can cause issues.

To recap.. I would prefer that Adobe drop McAfee.  If Adobe CAN'T drop McAfee from the install/upgrade package, please don't default the "Include McAfee" checkbox to on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 24, 2014 Oct 24, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I stopped the auto update.I even uninstalled it and reinstalled the flash player manually.And again turned off the auto update.And still getting these idiotic update notices about the flash player.Maybe some of the people i have talked with are right.Maybe you just don't really care about you customers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i'm not an adobe representative/employe.  i'm a user like you and just trying to help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I clicked the link to support.Don't know why it went to you guy.Sorry for the confusion.

Dwight Michaud

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe technical staff (who do indeed read posts in this forum) are not the ones making the decisions regarding 3rd-party bundled software.  Adobe has to somehow finance the development teams for free software like Flash Player.

However, it is 100% up to you if you want to use the default installers with the bundled crapware, or use the offline installers without any additional crap.  The download links for the offline installers are posted at least a dozen times every day in the Flash Player forum.  They are also published here http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/installation-problems-flash-player-windows.html#main-pars_tex...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pat Willener wrote:

Adobe technical staff (who do indeed read posts in this forum) are not the ones making the decisions regarding 3rd-party bundled software.  Adobe has to somehow finance the development teams for free software like Flash Player.

However, it is 100% up to you if you want to use the default installers with the bundled crapware, or use the offline installers without any additional crap.  The download links for the offline installers are posted at least a dozen times every day in the Flash Player forum.  They are also published here http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/installation-problems-flash-player-windows.html#mai n-pars_te...

Pat,

Thank you for your reply.

If the technical staff don't make that decision, they should be able to get the word to those who do make the decision.

I was not aware that there were any offline installers that do not include the crapware.  Thank you for the heads-up!    I'll bookmark the link you provided, and use that to update my Flash, instead of allowing Flash to direct me to the crapware link.  Much appreciated!

V/r,

^_^

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pat,

They have plenty of money to finance shit like flash...hell they charge 800 dollars for Photoshop, so you cannot tell me that adobe is lacking for development of software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Oct 21, 2014 Oct 21, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Sirs

I am having trouble showing vidio,s on this computor , it keeps comming up as Blocked Plug-in can you help me to get back where i can ilimanate this Blocked Plug- in

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

search for help about using your browser.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just updated Flash and for the first time ever the McAfee option was *unticked* by default. What the hell, they finally listened?

If so, then thank you Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

unfortunately for me, it was still ticked by default so i would recommend always double checking:  it's much easier to prevent mcafee from installing than it is to uninstall it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Weird. You think maybe Chrome learned by behaviour and unticked by default? I would certainly always double check.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A possibility, and much more credible than Adobe defaulting the box to unchecked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 13, 2014 Dec 13, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Grrr.

Had an instance today where I wasnt invited to uncheck McAfee - it just installed it automatically.

Immediate removal took seconds but found this very annoying

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 27, 2015 Feb 27, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a horrible practice by Adobe that has been ongoing for far too long, and is representative of their management style that has caused them to be held in disdain by the majority of the development community. They simply don't care if their company is viewed as a bad actor in the global community by continually using practices which have long been considered harmful and predatory by the rest of the web. The argument about needing to offset costs is ridiculous. Adobe has a few great products in their lineup, but their continual willful disrespect of their users has and will continue to cost them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 13, 2015 Mar 13, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On a positive note, both Google Chrome (on all platforms) and Internet Explorer on Windows 8 and higher include Flash Player as a built-in component.  You can permanently bypass the whole download and installation process by using one of these configs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Dec 22, 2017 Dec 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That's much weird but we can't blame the adobe has offered the services to the business community.

This can be issues with your McAfee updates.

Follow few things it may fix your issue

1. Try McAfee starting up in safe mode?

2. Register all DLL and Framework Service

3. Uninstall and reinstall McAfee

I am not able to explain the whole process for that you can read this article carefully - https://www.ostechsupport.com/2017/mcafee-not-working-windows-10-7-update/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines