• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign CC won't package my files

New Here ,
Jul 25, 2013 Jul 25, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

InDesign CC won't pacakge my graphic files with the following error; "Cannot copy necessary linked file(s).

I have recenly upgraded to CC version of InDesign, using InCopy text files, have never expreienced any issues with packaging before.

I also tried saving back to InDesign CS6 and opening in that version, also with the same error.

Any thoughts or assistance would be greatly appriiciated.

regards

Peter

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Participant , Jul 25, 2013 Jul 25, 2013

Check your links from links panel, there might be images with "/" in the filename. eg. photo/image.jpg or any invalid characters.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check your links from links panel, there might be images with "/" in the filename. eg. photo/image.jpg or any invalid characters.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you roenoz, thats perfect, one little stray "/" in a supplied text file name can cause as couple of hours of frustration.

Thank you again for you help.

regards

Peter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 05, 2013 Sep 05, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have checked my links filenames I have nothing out of the ordinary I do use "underscore" in the filename but I don't think that would be an invaild character do you have any other suggestions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 05, 2013 Sep 05, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can also happen if the folder names have invalid characters, or even is some cases if the complete path name is too long.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 09, 2014 May 09, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

NO links in my file. text only. No weird or unlicensed fonts. No long file names, spaces (alphanumeric, 11 characters only) or paths or anything with special characters... any other suggestions? It really looks like a bug. And I certainly do not want to DownSave my CC files back to InDesign CS5 just to be able to package fonts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are talking about a different thing, fonts are not links.

Did you use TypeKit Fonts? They are never packaged,

Did you use fonts from a protected drive? They are often not copied neither.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is possible that the Fonts are stored on a shared Network drive (server), but I believe they also reside on my hard drive within he Adobe Folder Applications…I can check.

I just don't think its a good idea to keep multiple copies of fonts in different places; System Folder, Application Folder, Fonts Library, etc… but I do have Font Book as well. Shouldnt that organize it all for me?

thanks for your help.

Nadia

email: n<nadia.halstead@covidien.com>adia.halstead@covidien.com<nadia.halstead@covidien.com>

w<http://www.covidien.com>ww.covidien.com<http://www.covidien.com>

****This information may be confidential and/or privileged. Use of this information by anyone other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you received this in error, please inform the sender and remove any record of this message.****

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have permission to write on the place where the links are? Are they somehow protected?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 18, 2015 Aug 18, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with roenoz when they say "Check your links from links panel, there might be images with "/" in the filename. eg. photo/image.jpg or any invalid characters." I thought I had done a thorough job, but later realized there was a "/" hiding in one of my placed images.

Good luck sorting it out!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 08, 2014 Oct 08, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i just had the same problem with CC 2014.

i have a file set up like a template of sorts – a basic layout with lots of image options off the page on the paste board that i can easily swap in and out.

Screen Shot 2014-10-08 at 15.45.01 1.png

i go to package everything together... and it packages no links at all?!

all file names are fine and no broken links in the links panel... after some head scratching and experimentation it turns out links will only be packaged if they are on a page. so as a simple work around i make another page in my document with every link on the page...

Screen Shot 2014-10-08 at 15.45.01 2.png

...and it works! all my links are packaged as i want them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 08, 2014 Oct 08, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You should activate the option in the package dialog that also links from not visible layers and from the artboard are included. (I don't know the exactly wording, but it should say something like this.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 14, 2014 Oct 14, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is happening to me too, and it is driving me nuts. Can Adobe please fix this bug? I have never had an issue like this in previous versions (leading up to CS 6). It's not just slashing in file names, it's long names, etc. I cannot keep renaming everything in my image library! Please patch this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 14, 2014 Oct 14, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you read my answer and I am convinced that this is the problem here. This not a bug it is working as it is supposed.

Your problem is a different one, and we should elaborate it, I think Peters guessing comes closer to your problem that to the first problem:

1. Can you inform us on example.
  2. GIving us some information: OS, version, working on server, which kind of server?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 16, 2014 Oct 16, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After much troubleshooting, it appears that the server file names are too long for this new version of InDesign. If I move all my links down on the server, everything seems to work fine.

In one example my image link was named "facebook.eps." Clearly, no errors in the filename itself. BUT, since the full filename includes where it is on our server, it becomes: 

/Volumes/Groups/Shared/Marketing/Marcomm/YBP_Library_Services/GOBI3/2013/05.2013/Arabic Translated/GOBI 3/Links/facebook.eps

Does this make sense?

Again, this was NOT happening when I was using CS 5, only since I updated to CC a few weeks ago. So why is this suddenly a problem? And I know there are some weird characters in the path, but again, why did it work in CS 5 and now it won't? Renaming all these paths will take ages.

In addition to InDesign not letting me package files, it also won't let me create a PDF, export a JPG, etc. Sometimes the InDesign files won't even open. The biggest issue is that I am even having issues dragging my files to the desktop, so getting any work done is taking triple the time.

Thoughts?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And actually, as I'm working to day, I'm finding instances where moving the files AND renaming them still is not working. I'm seriously about to lose it. Has anyone else had extreme issues like this? It has to be something with our server and InDesign CC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually I'm surprised that was a problem under 128 characters. Might be the dot in a folder name, or the spaces....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right, but I guess my biggest question, why is this only happening now that I updated to CC? Is this new character limit new? I was using the exact same files with CS 5 with absolutely no problems. Renaming everything on our server would take weeks. I'm really hoping there is some other solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not exactly the same issue, but I've been experiencing broken links on InDesign documents that are linked to the server. We have a central library for assets, and it seems that every time I open a document on my desktop (which had up-to-date links the last time I had it open, and the servers are mounted) the images have to be re-linked. I don't see this happening when the document is linked to assets on the local drive.

Anyone else notice this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Despite all the problems I've been having, I have not had this problem, Marty.

We have tried Adobe support via phone, and they told us we should work with all our images saved locally on our desktop. I work for a big corporation, so obviously, this is not an option. At all.

We are currently doing some trial and error trying to shorten the file paths. Will report back with findings!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here -- too many assets to keep locally, although some of the designers do bring the assets down from the server to their local drive. As a production artist, I can't do that because I have to access everything, while the designers are working on specific projects. Didn't have this problem with InDesign CC, only since updating to CC 2014.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still working on figuring this out. But here is a summary of all the issues I am having:

1. When I try to open an Indesign file I SOMETIMES get the following message and cannot open it. (I have correct permissions and the file is not open or locked)

Cannot open the document “filename”. You may not have permission or the document may be open already. For multi-use access, close the file and then lock it using the File . Get Info command in the Finder.

2. When I try to package in InDesign I get the following message: (despite all images definitely being linked)

ERROR: InDesign could not package the document ‘filename’. Cannot copy necessary file(s)

3. When I try to make a PDF in Indesign I get a  box with this message:

1 problem (1 failure) was found with a background task

IN READ below says: “Export: ‘filename’ (1)

However, SOMETIMES it will make the PDF, but some or all images in the PDF are blank boxes. (without warning me)

5. IF I try to export a JPG, the file is blank, but I get no warning that images are not linked.

6. SOMETIMES when I try to drag an image onto an InDesign file I get this error message:

Cannot place this file. No filter found for requested operation

So far, we have used one file to make a bunch of tests, let's call it "filename." If I simply dragged the .indd file to the desktop, it does not help at all. If I drag the .indd and all it's links to the desktop, it will PDF and package just fine. If I take the Indesign file and all it's links and put it on the server in ONE folder (so basically the links aren't all over the place on the server, but in one spot), it will package and PDF just fine...

So, I'm still slightly clueless. My guess is it may be the server, but IT does not think that is the case. Could it be a combination of issues?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Working cross-platfrom with the server can be problematic, and it might be the network protocol you're using.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 23, 2014 Oct 23, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Our IT people are now saying they believe this is an issue with Adobe Creative Cloud 2014, not our server. But they also admit that working on a Windows server could be problematic. Is there any sort of known fix to help Windows play nice with Adobe on a Mac?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 24, 2014 Oct 24, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have encountered this problem on a huge scale with the last 2 brochures I have designed in InDesign CC 2014. Both files contain over 600 links and failed to package displaying the 'unable to copy linked files'. There is no further information on which files fail to copy.

I spent hours renaming all my links removing any punctuation, with no better outcome.

I eventually managed to copy all the links manually via the links panel 'Utilities' > 'Copy Links To' function, however this also failed on number our occasions and would at times only copy a handful at a time, it took hours.

This has also happened again today with a file which contained just 1 link. However, the file was originally created in InDesign CC.

This makes me ask whether 2014 version cannot deal with files created in an earlier version?

If I could uninstall the 2014 version I would, but sadly have now designed too many brochures and products with it.

Please sort it out!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines