• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Error trying to add Google Play purchased book

Community Beginner ,
Oct 24, 2014 Oct 24, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm encountering an error that I'd appreciated advice on.

I have a Google Play book I'm trying to add to Digital Editions. When I try to open the .acsm file, I get the error: "Error getting License. License Server Communication Problem: E_IO_CANNOT_OPEN"

After looking at reports of similar errors, I've de-authorized & re-authorized and have uninstalled ADE & installed older versions (1.7.2, 2.0, 3.0) and get the same error in each version. I've also tried ADE on two different computers (one running Windows 8 and one running Windows 7).

Thank you for any suggestions you might have.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Oct 24, 2014 Oct 24, 2014

I got the 4.0.1 version working on my Windows 7 machine. I uninstalled again, and then scoured out every Digital Editions related file and directory I could locate in the user and app settings/data subdirectories. Rebooted. Re-installed 4.0.1. Got a new error when trying to authorize the computer which led me to delete a registry key as indicated on this page: http://helpx.adobe.com/digital-editions/kb/error-e_act_not_ready.html

Started ADE up, authorized the computer and was then able to add boo

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let_me_read as discussed via @AdobeCare please contact your e-book provider for the License Communication Error.  Since you were able to successfully add books from Sample eBook Library | Adobe Digital Editions it means that the computer's configuration is correct.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your response, but to be clear: I was NOT able to add a book from the sample library. I could add straight .epub files, but no .acsm files could be added. No matter the provider, I get the same error when trying to add an .acsm from any publisher, from my public library, from Google Play. Again, I get the error when I try to add an .acsm from the Sample Library.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let_me_read if you are unable to authorize any e-books then please check the settings for your software firewall to ensure that Adobe Digital Editions is being allowed access to the necessary Adobe Content servers.

If you are on a managed network then please involve your I.T. department to ensure they are allowing access.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Double-checked the firewall settings (working from a home network) & ADE is allowed access (also turned off the firewall & still got the e_io_cannot_open error; I posted here as this error isn't as widely reported as others and was curious if there were known issues/troubleshooting steps specific to that error).

I'm able to access the page listed in step 5 on this page in my browser http://helpx.adobe.com/digital-editions/kb/error-drm-error-activate-access.html

Are there other pages I can test via browser to know I'm connecting with Adobe Content servers?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let_me_read I would recommend that you temporarily disable any security software you are utilizing to help determine the conflicting software.  The sample book library is likely utilizing a different content server than the any titles you have purchased.  The error indicates that communication is not being allowed or interrupted no matter which Content server address is attempted.

You may also want to verify that you are not utilizing a proxy server.  This seems to be another security safeguard utilized which can affect network connections from installed applications.  You stated you are using Windows 7 and 8 so this can be found in the Internet Options Control Panel.  It is under the LAN settings options.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I got the 4.0.1 version working on my Windows 7 machine. I uninstalled again, and then scoured out every Digital Editions related file and directory I could locate in the user and app settings/data subdirectories. Rebooted. Re-installed 4.0.1. Got a new error when trying to authorize the computer which led me to delete a registry key as indicated on this page: http://helpx.adobe.com/digital-editions/kb/error-e_act_not_ready.html

Started ADE up, authorized the computer and was then able to add books. No network settings were changed. No proxy servers were running. 4.0.1 ADE on my Windows 7 now adds books from .acsm files.

Still getting the same E_IO_CANNOT_OPEN error on my Windows 8 machine after trying the same process. I suspect whatever files were lurking after uninstall that I managed to purge in Windows 7, and were causing whatever conflict leading to the error, are still out there somewhere in the file system.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 25, 2014 Oct 25, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Up and running on Windows 8 machine now too (though with the 3.0 version not the 4.0.1). Went through after uninstall & deleted every trace of Adobe-related files & Adobe-generated keys in the registry. Installed 3.0 & can now load .acsm files without getting the E_IO_CANNOT_OPEN error. No network settings were changed in resolving this issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 27, 2014 Oct 27, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very strange.  Do you have the locations of the files and registry settings which you removed?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 01, 2014 Nov 01, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Didn't take detailed notes, but for the Win 8 computer I deleted everything under Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Adobe in the registry & all Adobe-related files I could find in C:\Users (both my User directory, including My Digital Editions) and C:\Program Files (x86) & a couple Adobe or Digital Editions files that popped up in various temp directories in a search, though I didn't note their specific locations.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines