• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

File size increases dramatically after digital signature

Community Beginner ,
Jul 12, 2012 Jul 12, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a template I use from Microsoft Word for a contract I use frequently.   It does have a color image on it.   I then save the file as Adobe PDF format, add a few form fields if necesary, extend features in Adobe Reader (so my client can fill out and digitally sign it), Then I reduce the file size, which at this point is maybe 25K.

The last thing I do is add a digital signature -- necessary, because this is a contract.

I'm using CoSign for digital signatures as they need to be verifiable and this was the least expensive option for me.

The problem I have is that once it's digitally signed, the document size increases from maybe 25K to almost 2MB.

What can I do to keep the file size MUCH smaller?  I don't want to jam up my clients' mailboxes or risk having a contract not delivered because of large file size.  I'm using Acrobat 9.x.

TOPICS
Security digital signatures and esignatures

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What are you using for the signature's appearance?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using the default, ARX Signature.  Is it more efficient to use plain text or an imported graphic?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 13, 2012 Jul 13, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's hard to say without knowing ore about the ARX signature, but I've seen people use large (in terms of bytes) bitmaps for their signature appearances. Try plain text if you can and see if it makes a significant difference.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 13, 2012 Jul 13, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried using a plain text signature and it made essentially no difference.  Original file size after reduction 25.7k; size after plain text signature 1.82M.

I have submitted the question to ARX but have not yet received a response from them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 16, 2012 Jul 16, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Create a self-signed digital ID in Acrobat 9.x and sign the doc. If you notice that the file size is not increased as much as it is in your workflow above, then the problem is not related to Acrobat but rather CoSign.

Ben

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 11, 2020 Dec 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

pdf file size is increasing after digital sign, for digital sign using USB 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 24, 2014 Oct 24, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked for me to eliminate the large file size when adding a digital signature to a document ...

Acrobat digital signature adds 700KB to .PDF file size

https://forums.adobe.com/thread/305546?tstart=0

answer (enhanced a bit) ...

2.  Re: ACROBAT DIGITAL SIGNATURE ADDS 700KB TO .PDF FILE SIZE

Mar 31, 2009 2:58 AM

go to Edit > Preferences > Security

click on Advanced Preferences, then select the 'Creation' tab.

De-select 'Include signature's revocation status when signing'

Explanation: the extra data is the certificate revocation list (CRL) list that gets embedded with the signature if the above preference has been selected.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Oct 24, 2014 Oct 24, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This also removes long-term validation capability. Signatures without rev info embedded in the PDF cannot be validated after the expiration of the signer's certificate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines