Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

can't update because of Skype

Oct 28, 2014 Oct 28, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i run osx 10.7.5 and can't update the flash player. it downloads fine, but when it installs it stops at around 70%-90% and tells me to close Skype. i have closed it several times over and over again, even forceclosing it. the same message pops up, and i don't know what to do. i really don't want to uninstall and reinstall Skype just for this update. please help, thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Oct 30, 2014 Oct 30, 2014

If you can set the skype preferences to not start when the computer starts, do that and reboot.  If that doesn't work, you may need to uninstall, restart and try again.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, we just started hearing complaints about this.  Remember that closing the window on Mac doesn't necessarily make the application Exit.  You generally have to open the application and explicitly choose Exit from the menu on the top screen.

The method that some people have reported success with is to do the following:

Run the installer

When it hangs complaining about skype, do the following:

Click the Apple Icon in the upper-left of the screen

Choose Force Quit

Look for Skype (flash) or Skype in the list and kill it

The installer should proceed.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this doesn't seem to work for me. does this mean that I have to uninstall Skype, update Flash and then reinstall Skype?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm trying to reproduce this, but Skype doesn't seem to interfere with the Flash installation on my machine.  What version of Skype are you using?

Also, have you tried rebooting?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Oct 30, 2014 Oct 30, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i'm using version 6.15 (335). i've tried rebooting my Mac

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The current version of Skype is 7.0.653.  I'm not sure if it will fix the problem, but I had no issues upgrading or doing a clean install of Flash with this version of Skype installed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i've tried looking for an update, but it won't find any. also tried to download skype again, but it's the same version. is version 7.0.653 for Mac at all?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I downloaded it from here:

http://www.skype.com/en/download-skype/skype-for-mac/downloading/

It's possible that they may not support MacOS 10.7.5 with their current product version and give you an older version.

Are you sure that you're completely exiting Skype?  You have to open Skype, then choose Skype > Quit from the upper left of the screen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it seems that Skype does indeed not support my osx version, i am 100% positive i've closed it. i'm beginning to believe that the only way to update flash is to uninstall Skype

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If you can set the skype preferences to not start when the computer starts, do that and reboot.  If that doesn't work, you may need to uninstall, restart and try again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines