• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't open project

New Here ,
Aug 23, 2007 Aug 23, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I downloaded RH6 on my machine and then tried to open my WebHelp file by opening the .hhp file, since I'm unable to locate the .xpj file. I get an error stating the open project was cancelled or the app was unable to load database for [the path name] with the file name Quik Fixes.cpd. I'm wondering why it's pointing to the .cpd file. I've tried restarting, tried deleting the cpd file, thinking that it would re-generate itself upon startup, but I've received the same error. Also, I've always opened the project with the .HHP file, and never had a problem before. Why can't I ever see the .xpj file? Does anyone know a fix to this? I'm under a tight deadline here, and this is the last thing I need happening!

Danni

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First opening the project with the HHP is OK when you have a problem but it is not the correct way. You should use the XPJ.

If you open with the HHP, RH creates the XPJ and CPD so I can't understand why you cannot see it.

Sort by file type and be absolutely certain there is no XPJ.

Create a new project and see if that creates one. You are looking via Windows Explorer? If your new project does not have an XPJ and or CPD, I would question RH having been installed properly.

Your project is local and not on the network?

BTW. Bad practice to have spaces in your project name. Avoid them, use underscores if you wish.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter,

I am absolutely, positively certain there is no .xpj file, but there is a .cpd file. I even did a search for the file in the sub-folders and came up with zero. I attempted to create a new project, and I am unable to do so - I go through the New Project Wizard, and then to the next dialog box to choose a help format, and when I do, I am brought back to the New Project Wizard and it's default settings.

My project is local. Funny - it was working fine yesterday at the office, and now it's acting goofy at my home office...I guess at this point I'll un-install and try re-installing again. I'll let you know.

Thanks for the quick reply Peter.
Danni

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounding a bit like you didn't install with your login and / or you didn't have admin rights. See the topic on my site about installing.

Post back how you get on.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm almost positive I have Admin Rights to the machine. That's all I could find on your site (no Admin rights) regarding the problem. Anything I'm missing? I'll have to double-check with our Network Admin tomorrow morning...the thing is, I've installed RH6 just fine, just can't open my current project, nor can I create a project or even open the sample projects...it just says it can't load the database.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's all pointing to something being wrong with the installation. Even if you have the admin rights I would try an uninstall and reinstall.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I guess it could also be a virus checker getting in the way. Reinstall with that disabled.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 24, 2007 Aug 24, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, now I'm getting confused and frustrated. Peformed the install with the Virus Scan disabled as you suggested, and still no luck. Also, when I open the file from the office computer (that the help file is opening and working just fine on), I can open the .xpj file, but I cannot see the .xpj file anywhere in the folder. I've done a search for the file and have tried looking for it with my own two eyes, but no such luck. When I had the option of opening the file, it was said to be in the main folder of where all the project files are - not in any subfolder. Is it named a different name other than [filename].xpj?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 25, 2007 Aug 25, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The XPJ extension was introduced with X5, prior to that it was an MPJ file. If RH can open the project, it absolutely has to be the XPJ file it is using.

Before we can deal with the original problem we have to deal with this one on the office PC. It may just be that finding out why you cannot find the file on one machine helps us solve the first problem.

When you open RH, you get a dialogue box that asks if you want to open an existing project or create a new one. Assuming you are not working with any other project, or this one was the last one opened, the path will be shown and it will include the filename. Is that the folder you are looking for and is it the filename you are looking for? Also does it show the XPJ extension?

In Windows Explorer, have you changed the sort order to Type?

Is there any source control involved on these projects? I don't think this is the issue as the original problem occurs with new projects, but I would like to rule it out.

Less important right now but how are you transferring the files from one machine to another?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 27, 2007 Aug 27, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I've checked the path name, the .xpj file name is shown in the path when opening up the project, but the file is nowhere to be seen, however, it does open up on my office computer here just fine.

I have changed the Sort order to Type - still no luck.

Regarding the source control question, I'm not sure exactly how to answer this question. I did install RoboSource, but have not utilized it.

I transfer the files via jump drive.

What's interesting to note is....on the machine that is not opening up the files correctly, I've noticed that when I view my files in Windows Explorer, the HTML .chms are showing the RH v. 9.2 icons, but when I look at the same folder (in the jump drive) on the machine where RH6 is working properly, the icons are from RH6. I un-installed RH 9.2 before installing v. 6. And by the way, the project was previously an HTML project, but converted it to WebHelp.

I think it's so weird that I can't see the .xpj file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Danni -

Sounds like something too simple may be overlooked so let's start from the beginning.

On your WORK computer where you can open/edit/save your project - where EXACTLY is your project located - please provide the exact path. For example, if it were on my desktop the path would be:

C:\Documents and Settings\gbowen\Desktop\R2Help\

...where R2Help is the name of the folder on my desktop.

Exactly how do you copy your project onto the flash drive? Do you ZIP it or use any compression program? If so what are the ZIP settings?

When you dump the project onto your HOME computer, are you placing the files in the same "relative" location?

You are having problems "seeing" the XPJ file - sorry, I have to ask - do you have your Windows Explorer set to view all files, including hidden and to view extensions?

Last question - what format project is this? Is it CHM or pure html?

Regards,
GEWB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi LR,

The pathname on the both computers are the same: C:\Documents and Settings\doster\Desktop\MAIN (MAIN being the project folder.) Since I'm currently working in the Work computer, I'm not sure if my logon name in the pathname specified above is totally the same - it may be C:\Documents and Settings\doster2\Desktop\MAIN. If this part is critical, I can switch computers and let you know.

I do not compress the files at all or zip it up before copying and pasting the folder to/from the jump drive to/from the desktop.

Yes, I place the files in the same location - the desktop.

After unchecking the checkbox Hide Extensions for known file types, I can now view the .xpj on the Work computer (which is the computer that RH6 is working properly on.)

I'm not sure how to answer your last question - CHM or pure html? I understand CHM was for HTML Help. I did have a CHM file when I was generating HTML Help, but since I've been generating WebHelp, the CHM file hasn't been modified/updated for some time. Pure html? Not sure what you mean - all my topic files are html...

At this point, now that I know how to view the .xpj file, I'll go onto the other computer now and make sure there is no .xpj file there. I can't imagine there would be though since I can't even open the project. I'll let you know what I come up with.

Danni

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think we have seen problems before when transferring from one PC to another without zipping first, hence why I also asked the question.

Sort out the other things that Linux Rules has covered. If then you still do not see the file, try zipping, transferring and unzipping.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Danni -

OK, thanks for your reply. So as I understand...

> Work computer has the current project which RH6 can open/edit/save
> Project is located on your desktop in the folder called "MAIN"
> You are not compressing (ZIP, etc.) the ...\MAIN files/directories to your flash drive
> Your project is currently set to output RH6 WebHelp (this is pure HTML format whereas Microsoft HTML-Help, which MS calls HTML, produces a compressed CHM file)

Here is what I would like you to do:

1) Create a new folder on your desktop called MAIN2

2) ZIP up your project in the MAIN folder on your desktop:
> Save the ZIP file to your desktop and name it MAIN2
> Set the ZIP properties to "Include subfolders" and "Include system and hidden files"
> Click "Add with wildcards"

3) Unzip the MAIN2.ZIP file into the desktop MAIN2 folder you created in step 1.

4) Open the MAIN2 folder in Windows Explorer and double click on the XPJ file.

5) Let us know if RH open with your project.
> If YES, close the project, DO NOT SAVE, then close RH6
> If NO, you have bigger problems to solve!

6) If the project opened in step 5, copy the MAIN2.ZIP file to your flash drive.

7) Repeat steps 1, 3 and 4 on your home computer.

Regards,
GEWB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I am able to work on my RH6 version project at work here (on the "Work" computer), but I am unable to even open up my current project, or any project, and I can't even create a new project from my "Home-Work" Computer, so I have no problem with RH6 on my computer here at work - just when I'm working from home. I tried your suggestion for my "Home-Work" computer since there is no problem with the "Work" computer, and there was no place for me to set the zip properties to include subfolders and Add with wildcards, only to "Include system and hidden files". I'm using WinZip for my file compressions - is there a different zip program that would have these options? I was able to view the subfolders though, despite not being able to opt to use them.

When I do attempt to open up the project after this, the start screen comes up, and then I get the error saying: Open project was cancelled or the application was unable to load database for [pathname]*.cpd file. I've even tried deleting the .cpd file and re-opening then, but no luck.

Was this what you understood the problem to be? Sorry if I wasn't clear, or maybe I'm not clear?

Danni

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I forgot to mention that after unchecking the Hide Extensions for known file types checkbox, I am now able to see the .xpj file in my project folder on the Home-Work computer - the computer that I'm having problems opening the project up in. Just can't open it. And I've un-installed and re-installed RH6 about 6 times now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Aug 28, 2007 Aug 28, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Danni -

Regarding your compression program, as long as you can see the subfolders/files when viewing (opening) the ZIP file and they appear when you unzip the file, all is well. Different ZIP programs look a little different but function essentially the same.

Now it looks like your RH6 installation isn't going well.

Are you installing RH to your home computer using the original RH6 installation disk?

Are you installing in Windows Administrator mode?

Did you turn OFF all anti virus programs including any such programs run as part of Windows (Security Center)?

Regards,
GEWB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For the first 4 installs, I installed using a copied version of RH6 - the last two installs, I used the original.

I have full Admin rights to the computer.

I did disable Virus Scan, however, I'm unsure whether any other Windows security are running. Do you know if it would be an .exe I would be able to view in the Task Manager?

One thought that just came to me - I'm unsure whether I installed RoboSource on the Work computer - and I have it installed here on my Home-Work computer. Could that contribute to the problem?

Danni

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

quote:

Originally posted by: Retso
For the first 4 installs, I installed using a copied version of RH6 - the last two installs, I used the original.

"Used a copied version" as in CopyFromA>PasteInB? If so, that doesn't work.

Then two installs from original - did you properly uninstall the first of those two before installing the last of those two?

quote:

I did disable Virus Scan, however, I'm unsure whether any other Windows security are running. Do you know if it would be an .exe I would be able to view in the Task Manager?

What/where/how to find depends of the version od Windows. Look for "Security Center" if in WinXP. I don't remember where to look in Vista as I hated it and blew it away, never to use a byte of my hard drive again. I no longer have Windows 2000 installed so I can't help with that.

quote:

One thought that just came to me - I'm unsure whether I installed RoboSource on the Work computer - and I have it installed here on my Home-Work computer. Could that contribute to the problem?

I'm not sure if that would make any difference - tend to think not. Peter, can you enlighten us on the finer points of RoboSource?

Regards,
GEWB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I burned a copy of RoboHelp6 (for backup purposes), and that's what I used to install. I made sure RH 6 was completely un-installed before trying to re-install, and even restarted the machine after each un-install (don't even know if that would help things.) No other security features running I don't think. I'm really wondering if RoboSource could be it. If a project is running on RH6 without RoboSource installed, and then you try to open it up where it is installed, wouldn't you think that would goof things up? I'm going to go ahead and un-install, and re-install without installing RoboSource and see if that helps. I'll let you know.

Thanks LR.
Danni

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Oct 11, 2007 Oct 11, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same problems with projects that are in RoboSource Control and those that are not in source control. I was working in RH 5.0 just fine until I got a Windows XP Service Pack 2 error message after uninstalling some other software. It said that some Service Pack 2 files had been changed and told me to insert the Service Pack 2 CD, but I didn't have the CD, because our systems are started from an image and we don't have CDs in our possession (a lot to do with software asset management for audit purposes...proof that we have licenses for everything we use). I have tried everything to avoid rebuilding my system from scratch, but there just doesn't seem to be a solution to this problem. I think that if IT would allow me to delete and re-install Service Pack 2, the problem would resolve itself'; but they seem to think it is too risky to do on a system created from an image. Their attitude is, why go to all that trouble for one application. It just happens to be the application that is central to getting my job done.

BTW, I think my problem is also related to residual files from 1-Step RoboPDF (which I have always considered a nuisance, since we use Adobe Acrobat for PDF generation).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Oct 12, 2007 Oct 12, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Sounds like your IT folks have a cavalier attitude as to how their own failings are so detrimental to your job!

See my reply to your other post.

And, by the way, cross-posting for the identical issue is frowned upon in this forum (don't anybody tell Rick!). Trying to follow multiple threads can be confusing and distracting when users, weeks or months from now, try to find solutions to similar problems. In addition, the forum users who receive posts by mail have serious issues with duplicate posts, as well.

Good luck,
Leon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry but I don't use RoboSource.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Installing without RoboSource didn't work. Again, I get the same error box saying it can't load the database for the .cpd file. I think I'm going to go on HATT to see if anybody would know the reason why this is happening. Thank you LR and Peter for all your time on this issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How big is this project zipped up?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp