Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

"The importer reported a generic error" for .mov files

Dec 28, 2013 Dec 28, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am getting the message "The importer reported a generic error" whenever I try to add .mov media files to my project. I am using Premiere Elements 12 on Windows 8. The .mov files generated from my iPhone seem to import properly but the .mov files from my camera are not working. I have installed the latest version of Quicktime (7 I believe). Not sure where to find more information on the specs of the file if required. Please advise. Thank you.

TOPICS
Error or problem

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 29, 2013 Dec 29, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Welcome to the forum.

1. What is the make and model of the camera, which is producing those problematic MOV files?
  2. What is the CODEC in those MOV files?
  3. If your camera allows you to shoot various Frame Sizes, etc., what did you choose?

Good luck, and let us know a bit more please.

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 03, 2014 Mar 03, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm also getting this error, but it's when I try to add any image of any kind: .jpg,  psd, .tif, .raw. I've tried adding codecs and resized the iage down to 750x 750 and I'm still unsucessful. Any ideas on what else to try?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Gaelnavore

What version of Premiere Elements are you using and on what computer operating system is it running?

Color profiles (such as CMYK) for still imports are not supported by Premiere Elements

RAW images - Camera Raw needs to be installed. And, Camera Raw version needs to support camera, and Photoshop Elements and Premiere Elements needs to support the version of Camera Raw being used.

Please supply more details and we will try to troubleshoot this.

Thanks.

ATR

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Elements 12 on Windows 8. Converting to RGB seems to have solved the problem. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Gaelnavore

Great news. Glad that suggestion about the color profile for your stills worked for you.

Best wishes.

ATR

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm getting emails from all of your threads and I turned them off.

Sent from my iPhone

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

upholsteryteacher

I setup a new thread for you to post into so that you would not have to be posting randomly in any thread with my name.

Please post only in the following thread.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1420074?tstart=0

I have sent you a private message about using that link for a discussion of your issue.

I am eagerly awaiting more details of your problem so that we can solve it.

First, is your Mac Book Pro using a NVIDIA video card?

Do not post the answer in this or any other thread except the one that I just set up for you.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1420074?tstart=0

Thanks.

ATR

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jessie.ox

The properties of your .mov from the camera are essential information to this problem solving.

But, as a point for comparison, what iPhone is the source of the video that are not a problem in Premiere Elements 12 on Windows 8 64 bit?

Although a video audio properties read out would be great http://sourceforge.net/projects/mediainfo/, we might be able to get the basic information needed here by knowing brand/model/settings for the camera being used. If you do use MediaInfo, just take care in making your choices during download and installation to avoid bloatware.

Looking forward to further details.

Thanks.

ATR

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bill/A.T.

Thanks for the quick reply.

1. Kodak Easyshare C913
  2. Link to the product specs: http://reviews.cnet.com/digital-cameras/kodak-easyshare-c913-purple/4507-6501_7-33342086.html
  3. I didn’t adjust any frame sizes when I used the camera.
  4. The iPhone 4s is what I have been using which works fine.
  5. Here is a screenshot of the MediaInfo results for the file that doesn't work:

MediaInfo.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I downloaded the trial version of Morgan Multimedia and tried importing the file again. I still get the error.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Morgan's, like MainConcept's MJPEG CODEC are generic MJPEG CODEC's. Many camera mfgrs. will tweak their version, so only their iteration of MJPEG will work. Sometimes, the Morgan, MainConcept or Apple will work, but often they will not. One would, in those cases, need to go to the camera mfgr. for their tweaked version.

Good luck,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jessie.OX

Thanks for the follow up. Sorry the MorganJPEG codec did not resolve the issue.

In such a turn of events, would you consider converting the footage from MotionJPEG.avi to DV AVI with free programs such as MPEG Stream clip (handles 4:3 as well as 16:9) or Prism Converted (handles 4:3).

http://www.squared5.com/

http://www.nchsoftware.com/prism/

In the nchsoftware link, the link within it to the free version of Prism is tucked away on the top right side of the page under Get It Free.

Suggested settings can be found in post 2 of this older thread in which I participated as moderator elsewhere.

http://www.elementsvillage.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62426

Please let us know how we can help.

Thanks.

ATR

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Dec 31, 2013 Dec 31, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I downloaded MPEG Steamclip 1.2 and converted the file to AVI. This seemed to work. It'll be a little more time consuming to convert my files but thank you very much for your assistance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 31, 2013 Dec 31, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jessie.ox

Thanks for the update. If it would be of help, I am almost certain that MPEG Streamclip 12 will batch convert.

Here are some articles on the batch converting

http://www.uwb.edu/learningtech/digital-media-services/tutorials/mpeg-stream-clip#_Using_Batch_Proce...

Please let us know if you have any further questions or need clarification on anything written.

Thank you for the follow ups.

ATR

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jan 04, 2014 Jan 04, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi again,

I was trying to play around with these clips today and although the files import into the program properly now, the audio seems to be missing. Is this a side effect of converting .mov to .avi? How can I get the audio back?

Thanks,

Jessie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jessie.ox

When you first did the .mov to .avi conversion in MPEG Streamclip, did you have the sound then after the conversion and before these files were imported into Premiere Elements?

Or is this sound issue with a new batch of converts from .mov to .avi with MPEG Streamclip?

What specific audio settings did you use in the MPEG Streamclip dialog described in the link that I posted.

You could try the Prism Converter to see if you get the same issue.

More later.

ATR

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The sound is there before the conversion. After the conversion I added the file to the Elements Organizer (audio still in tact), but when importing into the Editor the audio disappeared.

I ended up exporting it to "DV" on the MPEG Steamclip converter instead of "AVI". This works. If I have any other questions I will let you know, thanks! I'm new at this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jessie.ox

Thanks for the update with the good news that "This works."

Good job sorting out the final issues.

Best wishes,

ATR

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 01, 2014 Nov 01, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Found a quick solution to this:

"The importer reported a generic error"

I just experienced the same issue; opened my project and an entire folder was missing. Tried relinking and nothing. Tried deleting all files and re-importing and nothing.

So then I thought of an old trick I learned from Apple based applications; DELETE THE "PLIST" FILE!!!

STEPS:

1. Quit any Adobe application
  2. Go to your Mac's Library folder
  3. Go into Preferences
  4. Find the PLIST file that belongs to the software your having issues with, in this case, find file named: com.adobe.headlights.apip.plist
  5. Delete this file and Empty trash.
  6. Reopen Premiere and re-import your media.

This worked for me in no time. And I hope that it works for anyone experiencing this issue.

Thanks!

Golden Boy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 01, 2014 Nov 01, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

GoldenBoyNY

Although your intent is to be helpful and share, I would point out to you in this instance the background is

Premiere Elements 12

on

Windows 8 64 bit

From what I see of your post which you are distributing around the Adobe Premiere Elements Forum today, you are working from some version

of Premiere Pro on Mac.

Problems with the same symptoms can (often do) have different causes even when the version and operating system are relevant.

ATR

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines