• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

When will Lr 5 support the new Canon 7D Mark II?

Community Beginner ,
Oct 31, 2014 Oct 31, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just got the Canon 7D Mark II today!!! So far I am very impressed with it but I shot everything in RAW. I guess will have to use the Canon software to convert the files. I don't like that software so I'm hoping that Adobe has an update soon!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Nov 18, 2014 Nov 18, 2014

Native Lightroom support for the D750 was added in the Lightroom 5.7 update released this evening.

Release details:

Lightroom 5.7: http://blogs.adobe.com/lightroomjournal/2014/11/lightroom-5-7-now-available.html

Camera Raw 5.7: http://blogs.adobe.com/lightroomjournal/2014/11/camera-raw-8-7-and-dng-converter-8-7-now-available.html

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Nov 01, 2014 Nov 01, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could use the free Adobe DNG Converter 8.7RC to convert your raws to DNG, which you can then import to your current LR version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jim,

Camera RAW 8.7 RC doesn't support the EOS 7D Mark II yet ...

There may be more info at: http://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/why_doesnt_my_version_of_photoshop_or_lightroo...

Jeffrey Tranberry (Chief Customer Advocate) stated yesterday - "It's on our radar. Hoping it makes it into our next update."
So I guess for the time being EOS 7D Mk II users should either use DPP to convert to TIFF and import to Lightroom or shoot RAW+jpg and wait for the RAW support.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BKKDon wrote:

Hi Jim,

Camera RAW 8.7 RC doesn't support the EOS 7D Mark II yet ...

Oops....yes of course. Brain still in D750 mode I guess!

Thanks for the catch.....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, we'll be seeing plenty of this over the 7D Mk II, Jim - evidently in the UK it's the most pre-ordered Canon body ever.

And - as with the D750 and the D810 before it - it will appear to be been bought exclusively by people who don't know how to do a site search here; who don't know how to use Google to check for Lightroom camera support; and who think that all Raw files from a given manufacturer are exactly the same...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 02, 2014 Nov 02, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did do a Google search and all of the other steps you mentioned. That's the reason I posted the question in the forum... I was hoping that someone might actually be able to answer the question!  I'm well aware of the fact that each of my 5 Canon cameras RAW files are different, that's why I have 5 separate DPP programs and I really don't want to take up more memory installing another one.  It's really a simple question and the answer should be too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 11, 2014 Nov 11, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

WAIT for RAW support? I have work to do with this camera this week. No way I'm shooting this thing as JPG.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

seanmclean_sc wrote:

WAIT for RAW support? I have work to do with this camera this week. No way I'm shooting this thing as JPG.

For those of you who don't bother to check software support before purchasing and committing work to a particular piece of gear, your best option is to shoot Raw+JPEG.  You will have instant access to JPEG, temporary access to Raw via DPP and Lightroom support shortly.

The next update for Lightroom is due soon and should have your Raw file support.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I appreciate your response. I don't agree and that's OK. That's where I'll let go of the topic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

seanmclean_sc wrote:

I don't agree

I'm not sure which part you don't agree with.

Adobe software does not support raws from 7D Mark II yet.

Which means, for now, you have to:

* work with cooked tiffs or jpegs in Lightroom (or ACR..).

You can get the jpegs from your camera, or get raw-converted tiffs from DPP.

That's pretty much it for now.

When 7D Mark II support is released (soon), then you can process the raws in Adobe software.

Do you disagree?

Rob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The best option may be to use another camera model that is supported.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't do "harsh" here, Rob - but I reserve the right to be blunt where it's warranted.

I'm sick to the back teeth of this "whatever it is, it's always someone else's fault..." attitude that frequently pervades these threads: never mind that the problem is entirely foreseeable, and its emergence is entirely down to a given individual's laziness, carelessness, ignorance of the facts, lack of foresight - any or all of which might apply in a given case.

Taking personal responsibility for bad decisions, owning them and learning from them, is actually a good, healthy thing to do, but we see precious little of it in these discussions: instead, someone screws up, and instead of graciously accepting that fact, their overblown sense of personal entitlement kicks in, and they expect the entire planet to shift on its axis in order to sort out an issue entirely of their own making, as if it's something they have a God-given right to expect.

I'm still not being harsh, but man! I'm tired of this attitude. 

And - let's be honest - I'm just saying here what a lot of people think...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

..., but man!I'm tired of this attitude.

And - let's be honest - I'm just saying here what a lot of people think...

well said...

and I would add a 'request' to all the early-camera-adopters who come here looking for an answer to their problem:

Go to your camera manufacturer and complain with them about the fact that in late 2014 they still do not give us users the option of a open, publicly-documented RAW-file format! They already give us one open, publicly-documented file format, called JPEG....so why do they resist on their proprietary RAW file formats?

Why not adding a few codelines to the firmware to add the option of writing a DNG? So the user can choose if he/she wants a proprietary raw file (that can be processed on day 1 with the manufacturers own software) or if he/she prefers an open file format that is going to be usable also in the future.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 12, 2014 Nov 12, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fair enough Keith - I get the sentiment..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 13, 2014 Nov 13, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Keith I have read the above messages and I didn't find that anyone, using your words, presented: "always someone else's fault... attitude that frequently pervades these threads".

I also own the new Canon 7D Mark II. I totally forgot the camera raw lag time for new cameras. It has been years since I bought a camera when it first came out. So in my mind not thinking about the converter available lag time is a reasonable lapse. I admit it is my issue and Canon's and not Adobe. My issue because I forgot about the lag time and didn't even think about the issue. If you prefer, you can say that I am an old lady so no wonder she forgot she is just an old lady.

Where the actual problem comes from camera manufactures, not Adobe. They should have the software available to Adobe and other software manufacturers that work with the CR file prior to the deployment of the camera. They are making good money on the cameras. I would think they would want the whole package available at one time from shutter release to picture release. Maybe someone can explain why camera manufacturers don't release their file format 3 months ahead of the release for purchase of new cameras. That would allow software manufacturers to prepare the software so that it is available when the camera is ready. That would avoid discussions such as this one.

Yes I have already started shooting both Raw and JPEGs, before I read the above suggestion. Yes, I am waiting on Adobe to come out with the needed update. Yes, I take responsibility for getting caught with my software down to my ankles.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

seanmclean_sc wrote:

So you're a pro?

Then it's part of your job to know how this stuff works.

Nothing about this situation is new; or unique to Adobe; or unique to the 7D Mk II (and yes, I'm an owner too - I'm waiting for support from Lr and Capture One and Photo Ninja and DxO Optics Pro), but I also know that - as it has always been - the absence of converter support is a risk that early adopters face.

If support is so "essential", don't buy the camera until after support has been delivered - it's that easy. And if you've backed yourself into a corner and have only a 7D Mk II to shoot with this weekend - well, that ain't Adobe's fault, is it?

A pro should know better than that, too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

so it's personal shots. nice. bye.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 17, 2014 Nov 17, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the TIFF suggestion - made me smack my forehead that I hadn't thought of it myself.  I too was shooting in RAW+jpeg but will see how the TIFFs work up in LR (I haven't used them before).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have just downloaded the DNG convertor as per your suggestion but it opened once and could not see the files.

when I re-booted the desktop and tried again all the buttons were transparent and despite attempts to re-install this remains the case.

Furthermore, there doesn't appear to be any way to un-install the programme. there is no un-installer in the software and windows 7 add/remove programmes doesn't list it so it would appear that I'm stuck with it, unless you know a way to get it off my pc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ian Lyons indicated the other day that the camera will be supported in the Camera Raw 8.7 final release as well as the next Lightroom update. But he wouldn't give any release dates.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! I'll watch for the update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You'll know when it happens, not before - Adobe never officially pre-announces support - but Raw Therapee does a very good job of converting 7D Mk II files, even though it's not officially supported there yet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I got 7D 2 too, hope Lr5 supports it asap.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 03, 2014 Nov 03, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For the moment i use the follow solution :

Import RAW in Canon Digital Photo Proffessional  or another convertor , Export in batch and convert your RAW's in TIFF  . Open Lightroom and Import the TIFF's as " Apply " ( not convert as DNG )  . You can edit your pictures in Lightroom !

Kind regards ,

Pierre Nowosad

http://www.birdsinflight.be

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With the D750, I've been shooting RAW and using Nikon's View NX2 app to burn jpg after a quick exposure / white balance check and importing that into Lightroom.

I've been making adjustments as I normally do in LR, but I was wondering if anyone has determined the best way to import the RAW's and replace those JPG source files once LR gets support for the 750 raw format. I'd like to keep adjustments, stars/color codes, etc and just map them onto matching filenames (short the different .jpg .nef extension)

Anyone done this before?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines