• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How can I duplicate a layer and modify it without modifying the original layer that I copied?

New Here ,
Nov 04, 2014 Nov 04, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As you can see, I have duplicated a bubble several times.  But I can't seem to figure out how to modify each bubble without affecting the rest.  Since I duplicated the bubbles several times, any changes that are made to one, will visible clone for the rest.

after effects screen pic.PNG

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the bubble is a pre-comp you have to duplicate the pre-comp in the project panel.

That is probably what is going on because a shape later when duplicated is unique. Only assets that show up in the Project Panel stay unchanged when you duplicate them in the timeline.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Rick,

Thank you for your post.  So, are you suggesting that I import an illustrator file that is unique for every bubble that I would like to place in that scene.  Then add that new vector in the duplicated layer? Here's a screen picture of a duplicated layer I just made.

Best,

Billyafter effects pic 2.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What changes are you making?

Also, why not create these as Shape layers in AE?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Szalam,

Thank you for the help, I am attempting to add different copy to each purple bubble and keep the animation on each bubble.

Billy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your workflow is a little misinformed. What you need to do is that a text layer above one of your bubbles, select the text layer and the bubble and pre-compose. Then repeat the process for each bubble. You'll end up with a bunch of different pre-comps. Create your animations in the pre-comps and you are good to go.

If I had known that each bubble was a duplicate of a single illustrator liar you would've received this answer the first time.

If you want different shapes for your bubbles then convert the vector layer to a shape layer and edit the individual shapes. It's as easy as that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! you guys are the best!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As you can see, when I add the text POS to one of the bubbles I have duplicated, it will show up on the copied version.

after effects screen pic 3.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It looks like you've added the text in a precomp. As Rick says, you have to duplicate the precomp in the project panel and then bring the new precomp into your main composition. If you duplicate it in the timeline panel, it's just adding another reference to the composition.

You really need to understand the basics of how to work in AE. What precomps are and how to use them is essential knowledge. I'd suggest starting here: Getting started with After Effects

You don't even need to do precomps like that. You could just put text layers in your main comp and parent them to bubbles (or, and here's a fun idea) tie the position of the text to the bubbles with expressions, but not the rotation. That way, the bubbles can fly around as much as you like, but the text stays upright.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Got it! Thanks guys!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Szalam! I figured it out.

figured it out.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As I guessed the first time, your bubbles are pre-comps. Go to the project panel and duplicate your bubble pre-comp there. Then it's time to replace some of the pre-comps in the timeline.

Let me say this one more time. If you duplicate any layer in the timeline and that's asset also appears in the project panel then you have made a copy in the timeline only and the original remains unchanged.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I got it! Thanks Rick!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

figured it out.PNG

Thanks again Rick and Szalam!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By layer you mean pre-comp right?

To find the layer in the project panel right click on the layer name and select reveal in project. If the layer is not footage but a composition then duplicate it in the project panel. If it is footage then duplicating it in the project panel won't accomplish anything.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Rick,

My lingo is a bit off being a newbie to AE, but Yes I was trying to communicate pre-comp.  So what I have been doing is, going to the project panel, then finding a bubble then right clicking on the pre-comp and selecting New Comp from Selection then dragging that pre-comp into the Main Comp panel and then editing that pre-comp.  I have been successful in doing this for the 4 on the left side, but not so much on the right just yet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're making this WAY tougher than it needs to be.  Whaddaya got that needs modifying... 6 layers or something?  That's a cakewalk!

In the project window, twirl folders down until you find the bubbles you want.  Not the comp that was made when you imported the Illustrator document, the actual layers in it.  They'll be in the project window.  Add them to your main comp.  Position them.  Scale them.  Make text layers.  Put the text layers above the appropriate bubbles.  Done.

Now, if there are OTHER things you're doing in this comp, you need to tell us right away.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 05, 2014 Nov 05, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you David! I'll keep you guys posted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are making this way too hard ... like Dave said. Create new comp from selection is not the way to duplicate a composition in the Project Panel. Select the composition in the Project panel then either use the keyboard shortcut Ctrl/Cmnd + D or use the Menu and select Edit>Duplicate:

Screen Shot 2014-11-04 at 10.31.23 PM.png

Here's a powerful hint ==> Note that the keyboard shortcuts are listed to the right of the commands in the menu that have keyboard shortcuts.

On a Mac this:

Screen Shot 2014-11-04 at 10.33.21 PM.png

is the Icon for the Command Key. If you are on Windows you should recognize the modifier keys.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Rick,

The on thing that I have noticed is that the animation of these duplicated bubbles are not carrying over.  The other bubbles are moving as they should be, but the newly duplicated bubbles are not?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your compositions are unique.... any animation side the pre-comp will remain, but if the pre-comp its self is animated you'll need to create that animation in the main comp. It's all really very simple. Footage stays unchanged because After Effects is non destructive. Comps can change. Duplicating a layer in a timeline retains all the properties of that layer but does not make a unique copy of the footage or, if the layer is a composition, the composition. Animation can be applied to any layer. Assets inside the Project Panel do not have any animations or effects applied to them so when you bring them into the timeline they are ready to add animation to the layer, but just like a movie, a pre-comp will play what is inside it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks Rick! I figured out that I could convert the pre-comp that I dragged into the Main Comp panel into a 3D layer then simply click on CTRL + Home which then groups that new pre-comp into that camera animation.  It worked! I'll be reading all weekend on the foundation of AE and will be taking it step by step.  Thanks again for the help @DaveLaRonde and Rick Gerard

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hate to say it, but these are the kinds of problems you'll run into when you're brand-new to AE and you approach it with the attitude of, "This thing can't be THAT tough! I'll just do it."

As you're now experiencing, AE has bunch of twists, turns and obscure but vital basics that are almost always overlooked by the novice and have profound impact on what you're trying to accomplish.  You don't even know what's wrong, because you don't understand how AE works.

Instead of jumping into the deep end of the pool wearing lead weights, give youself an excellent chance at AE Success.  Go here:

Getting started with After Effects (CS4, CS5, CS5.5,  CS6, & CC)

The first three items on the list are must-dos.  Once you've done them, you'll come to realize the other ones on the list are "Oh, I gotta do those, too" items.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Dave!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines