• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Could not use history brush because the history state lacks a corresponding channel Please HELP CS6

New Here ,
Mar 24, 2013 Mar 24, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Everytime I try to use my history brush, that error pops up and I have no clue why. If I try to just open a blank document and use the brush it does not give me this error and I can "use" the brush but you cant see anything on the project. Anyways, so when this error happens im trying to do a project and say I place a file(picture) into the project and this is the very first thing I do. I place it, then I size the image down some. I then make a new layer to use the brush for behind the picture and then this is when I get the error. I have no clue what is wrong can someone please help me I'm desperate:(.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , May 11, 2014 May 11, 2014

This one drove me nuts too and I couldn't find anything on the Net or in all the tutorials on the Adobe site. The solution I found is extremely obscure - it seems that it is critical when you take the snapshot for the history layer that you don't choose the default option in the snapshot dialog box that comes up  to let you name the snapshot. In that dialog box, don't use  from "Full document", instead click on the arrow button to select the option below, which is from "Merged layers" and then i

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
LEGEND ,
Mar 25, 2013 Mar 25, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The way you've described it, one gets the distinct impression you do not have a clue as to what the history brush does and how to use it.

You need to read up on it.  Read the Help files and google for tutorials.

First you need to create an image (with actual pixels in it), edit it as desired, then make a snapshot of the edited image, then target the snapshot with the history brush tool, then go back in the History panel to the step before your edits and selectively paint your edits in with the History Brush.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 13, 2020 Oct 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How dare a person not know how to use a tool! And then to have the nerve to come to a help forum to ask for help. The nerve of some people.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 30, 2021 Apr 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The point of a this Adobe Support Community forum is to get help. Why so condescending for a genuine question? LOL. You probably don't know how forums work. You should read up on it. 😛 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 11, 2014 May 11, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This one drove me nuts too and I couldn't find anything on the Net or in all the tutorials on the Adobe site. The solution I found is extremely obscure - it seems that it is critical when you take the snapshot for the history layer that you don't choose the default option in the snapshot dialog box that comes up  to let you name the snapshot. In that dialog box, don't use  from "Full document", instead click on the arrow button to select the option below, which is from "Merged layers" and then it worked like a charm. Good luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 05, 2014 Nov 05, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THANK YOU! I know photoshop very well (I even went back and read up on everything I already knew how to do thinking that I had forgotten a step) and this is the ONLY place that I've seen the problem solved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 24, 2020 Feb 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you please explain this in a more simplified way? What is the snapshot for the history layer? Sorry if this is a dumb question.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 28, 2020 Mar 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I need help with this too and don't understand the directions given on how to fix this

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 04, 2020 May 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

just duplicate the layer you need history brush on and merge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 04, 2020 May 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

An easier solution is to just duplicate both layers ctrl c on both of them and merge them. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines