• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Map ID call in RH11

Explorer ,
Nov 07, 2014 Nov 07, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been using RH7 and Map IDs.  I have upgraded to RH11, but I cannot figure out how to get my Map IDs to work.  In RH7 it was a simple URL call, .../roboapi.asp?Context=Map ID  What would the call be in RH11?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What CSH method are you using?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jeff,

I am not sure. In RH7 I used the Map ID tool and have mapped 200+. These are called by a web application such as, http://<server<http://%3cserver> name>/roboapi.asp?context=Map ID

I have upgrade my RH7 projects to RH10 and then to RH11 and I need to be able to call the Map IDs. Also, when users call needing application support on a particular topic I will send them the above URL, with the appropriate Map ID, so they can click and get right to the topic.

Rich

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check Peter’s site (grainge.org) and Willam’s site (wvanweelden.eu) on calling WebHelp

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI folks

I stand to be corrected here, but I think the RoboAPI.ASP indicates RoboHelp Server being in use.

Perhaps John Daigle will pop in to confirm or deny that.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I am using RoboHelp Sever. The MAP ID URL call was very simple in RH7, did this functionality become very complex with RoboHelp Server 9 & RH11?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

RH Server? I’m out – calling John or Colum (robocolumn.com)…

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Cape Ops

Yes, that file supports the CSH calls. However, you and/or your developer should refer to these online help links for more specific details.

Adobe RoboHelp 11 * Program Help for web pages

Adobe RoboHelp 11 * Steps without using support files

Look for the sections that refer to "Webhelp Pro".

This is where to find the RoboHelp_CSH.js file in case your developer is looking for it.

C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Adobe RoboHelp 11\CSH API\JavaScript\RoboHelp_CSH.js

John Daigle

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Cape Ops

Yes, that file supports the CSH calls. However, you and/or your developer should refer to these online help links for more specific details.

Adobe RoboHelp 11 * Program Help for web pages

Adobe RoboHelp 11 * Steps without using support files

Look for the sections that refer to "Webhelp Pro".

This is where to find the RoboHelp_CSH.js file in case your developer is looking for it.

C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Adobe RoboHelp 11\CSH API\JavaScript\RoboHelp_CSH.js

John Daigle
Adobe Certified RoboHelp and Captivate Instructor
Newport, Oregon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John,

Thanks, We used the URL http://

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John Thanks,

Thanks, We used the URL http://<RoboHelp server>/robohelp/rest/robowindow?wtype=ctx&context=<id>&project=<project name> and we get

<?xml Version = “1.0” encoding = “UTF-8”?>

<error>Error</error>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, your post shows a generic string and I can't really grasp what you are asking. The error could be anything.

Perhaps it will help if I give some examples.

Here are some common CSH calls to show examples of the syntax:

Context Sensitive Help call with RoboHelp Server 9 (WebHelp Pro)

Here is the syntax of forming the help topic call to a Map ID number.

http://<servername>:<portnumber>/<contextname>/server?area=<areaname>&prj=<robohelpprojectname>&ctxid=<Map ID>&wnd=<windowname>

Anything in angle brackets means you would substitute your actual project information.

Some assumptions in this scenario:

You are using the defaut "context" name, robohelp.

The <windowname> property is optional and created by the Author in the client app under Project Setup pod (Window). If not defined, the topic will appear in a default window.

So this is what a "real" string might look like:

http://localhost:8080/robohelp/server?area=general&prj=HumanResources&ctxid=1&wnd=CSHWindow

Finally, be sure you have all RoboHelp 11 client and RoboHelp Server 9 "updates" installed:

Adobe - Support : RoboHelp Support Center : Service Releases

RoboHelp Server Update 9.0.1 is here ! « TechComm Central by Adobe

John Daigle

Evergreen, Colorado

www.showmethedemo.com

John Daigle
Newport, Oregon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John,

Thanks so much for hanging in here.  Here are the details.  I have a web application used by 20,000+ users and for each web page I have a help document published in a RoboHelp WebHelp Pro merged project.  If users need to access the help document for any web page in my application there is a link on the web page directing them to the particular RoboHelp Project help document.  I am doing this currently in RH7, and the link for each document is defined by the Map.  For example, http:/<RoboHelp Server>/roboapi.asp?context=143 (this URL works)

The server that houses my RoboHelp Server has reached end of life and with the new server refresh we are upgrading to RH11 and RoboServer 9.  We installed RoboServer 9 and I upgraded my RH7 projects to RH10 and then to RH11, and we have installed the recent updates to both.  We can access the RH11 merged projects on the new server, we are just trying to get the Map ID functionality to work as it did on RH7.  I have tried the following URL, http://<New RoboServer>:8080/robohelp/server?project=WLI&area=WLIs&ctxid=143

and this does not work.  My Project Name is WLI, the Area is WLIs and the Map ID is 143.  This URL opens my RoboHelp merged Project to the Start page, and displays this URL in the IE address bar, http://<New RoboServer>:8080/robohelp/server?%26area%3Dwlis%26mgr%3Dagm%26agt%3Dwsm%26wnd%3DWLI%7CWo...%26tpc%3D%2Frobohelp%2Frobo%2Fserver%2FWLIs%2Fprojects%2FWLI%2FWLI0260.htm%26ctxid%3D143%26project%3DWLI

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 10, 2015 Mar 10, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi johndaigle, I would like the opportinity to ask a simple question: (Background) RoboHelp11 MapID Editor provides an editable Map ID and an automatically assigned Map #. Which one is the best option to developers use? To guarantee the right HelpContextID call.Regards Carlos.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
May 07, 2015 May 07, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

To answer your question Carlos, the Map ID editor can be used to auto assign or used to edit existing map files (after you import them into your project.)

There is no best option. Some developers have their own programming language tools (Visual Studio, etc.) which provide CSH map files that are part of the properties of various windows, dialogs and objects they build. So, some developers prefer to send you a map file which you import and make manual assignments (mapping) of the topics with their map files. Or, sometimes they agree to import the RoboHelp author's map file into their project.

So it's a collaborative effort and requires a mutual agreement between author and developer to decide which is preferred. Sometimes it can be a combination where you import some from them and you assign some in RoboHelp. The bottom line is that unique numbers and Topic IDs are used in the final result. RoboHelp can help with this effort to prevent you from duplication. there are also Reports which Robohelp can generate that let you know which MapIDs are unused or which ones may be duplicated.

And, still other developers choose not to use MapIDs at all! Rather, they simply call topics using the URL approach, documented here.

Context Sensitivity | WvanWeelden.eu

and here

Calling Webhelp

John Daigle

Evergreen, Colorado

www.showmethedemo.com

John Daigle
Newport, Oregon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 11, 2014 Nov 11, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

New Twist...I did some testing with Google Chrome and found if I turned off Pop-Up Blockers, the Map IDs (CSH) work.  I tried this in IE11 and I get the message "The help page you are looking for can be found at here." (clicking on here will display the CSH). We only use IE so having the users switch to Google Chrome is out, and Pop-Up Blockers turned off is against company IE policy.  Any ideas?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What about having pop ups allowed for your site? How about adding the help as a “Trusted Location” in IE11?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tested that and it does partially resolve the problem in IE11.  It still gives the message and the user must click the here link.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp