• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

When converting RoboHelp HTML 9 files to RoboHelp HTML5 11 files, is it transparent and seamless or are there adjustments that need to be made to the output?

Community Beginner ,
Nov 07, 2014 Nov 07, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We are considering upgrading from RoboHelp HTML 9 to RoboHelp HTML5 11. With all of our output files accessible by our customers, we want to ensure our content is always available to address their questions. When doing an upgrade to RH 11 will opening and outputting the files be seamless or will the files need tweaks to get them ready for publication? How much time would it take to adjust one page, if it's needed?

Any insight/experience you have with this topic to share is most appreciated.

Thank you.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 07, 2014 Nov 07, 2014

Easiest way to test is to take a non-production machine & load the trial on it, then run a copy of your RH8 project on it – watch what happens

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Normally the process is pretty straightforward. You just make a backup copy of your original project, then open one of them using RoboHelp 11.

Exactly what may need tweaking will depend on what has happened to the project before upgrading. Unfortunately there is no standard list of "always tweak this" or "always do that". You simply have to upgrade, then test to see what may or may not need tweaking.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your quick response, Rick. I understand the necessity of making a backup and opening the project to see what may have happened, then making adjustments accordingly.

I was hoping there were users out there who have gone through a conversion and would have had some practical things to look out for that they ran into when converting their documents. Has anyone had that experience? And what did you find?

Thank you for your insights,

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You may want to pay attention to lists – those might be affected

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Jeff. So you're saying that 'lists' may be affected. I'll certainly make a note of that. Can you tell me more about how they are affected? Was it a matter of indention? Numbering; size of initial or final bullet; background old code that needed to be removed? I remember several years ago when converting some old MS Word documents into RoboHelp that there were the nasty kadavs that needed to be removed. That was quite time consuming. It wouldn't be anything like that would it?

Thanks for your input. I really appreciate it.

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Easiest way to test is to take a non-production machine & load the trial on it, then run a copy of your RH8 project on it – watch what happens

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great tip! Thank you, Jeff.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 17, 2014 Nov 17, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you for the suggestion of downloading a Trial version of RH 11 and making a copy of the existing project, opening it in RH 11 to see how it displays and what the output looks like. I'm in the process of reviewing the files and output as I type. I appreciate your help. : )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 09, 2014 Nov 09, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's information on my site about fixing any List issues.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp