Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

RoboHelp HTML X5, Index and Search founction

New Here ,
Aug 24, 2007 Aug 24, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, all

I recentely have a project to localized a WebHelp into Kazakh and Ukrainian. The search function in the Index tab and Search tab is not working properly, even search for the existing title from the Help.

The source html files (and related .xpj, .hhc, hhp, hhk) are saved as Cyrilic (windows-1251) encoding for Ukrainian WebHelp before compile. All text displays perfactly in the compiled WebHelp, and the only defeat is the search function doesn't work.
For Kazakh, due to not all characters are supported by Cyrilic encoding, the source html files are saved as utf8 encoding. Same behavior as Ukrainian, search founction does not work.

Does anyone know if this is the limitation of the RoboHelp itself, or it is something that has work around to reslove? The version used is RoboHelp HTML X5.0.2. Your feedback is very appripriated.

regards,
Tina

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Aug 29, 2007 Aug 29, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not finding words that are in UTF-8 seems to be a HTML help feature, when talking about non-Western character sets.

I just tried a help that used Russian in UTF-8 but could not get it to work before I converted everything (.htm, .hhc, .hhk) to Windows-1251. I needed to convert the .hhc and .hhk to display ToC and Index right and converting the .htm files was needed to make Search work. Before conversion, searching for a "Western" word would also give me a list of "garbled" Russian topic titles. Actually, I mainly compile my non-Western languages with MS HTML Help Workshop and always change the Windows Regional and Language options to match the language of the help.

I am not aware of a Kazakh or Ukrainian encoding that would work :(

... does anybody have a neat way to convert a lot of files from UTF-8 to a "Windows" encoding?...

PM

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 29, 2007 Aug 29, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are in an area I am not familiar with. However, EditPadPro is a text editor that appears to have the converter you require.

http://www.editpadpro.com/

There is a free Lite version but I don't know if that has the converter. The Pro version can be trialled so you can check before you buy.

I don't know if that is what you want but hope the information is of some help.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Aug 30, 2007 Aug 30, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

EditPadPro seems to make it easy to change (find/replace) the charset definition in a lot of files, e.g from
<META http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8">
to
<META http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=Windows-1251">

but I have not yet found a way to make it convert a number of files in one go.

Converting files one by one does not seem too hard in EditPadPro but if I have hundreds of files... I am not sure if I will have all those files to convert but, in the worst case, I might eventually.

(sorry for highjacking this thread)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 31, 2007 Aug 31, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Assuming you are happy that change works OK, then just use any multi file find and replace tool. FAR from http://www.helpware.net/FAR is my favourite.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp