Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

OSX Yosemite, can not update to latest version

Nov 04, 2014 Nov 04, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

could not update, can't install after deinstallation. Says "installation failed"
I use a macbook pro, OS X yosemite
Please help me !

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 06, 2014 Nov 06, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You may need to adjust your GateKeeper settings to allow the installation.

In Control Panel > Privacy and Security, make sure that Allow apps downloaded from Mac App Store and Identified Developers is selected.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Nov 07, 2014 Nov 07, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks for your support !
But that didn't work , is there anything else ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 08, 2014 Nov 08, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe the standard and/or scripted response is "we cannot reproduce the problem". The methodology seems to be to blame our computers and not their incompetence. There is no solution to this problem; Flash 15 will not install on Yosemite and I believe it has something to do with the application not being sandboxed. Adobe will not give answers, they will just ask you to do a bunch of time wasting song and dance routine while they laugh behind the scenes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah your statement makes sense , but i will keep bothering them ! Already had the problem with impossible update in Mavericks, but it didn't bother me. When a few days ago my version couldn't be used anymore I got pissed, it is unbelievable that such a big company has no way to give authentically or helpful solitutions while distributing their software to everybody (buggy).

but one  support team member asked me to try in safe mode, I will do that, probably not gonna work, reply to him and stay hopeful

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't worry - I'm with you. Squeaky wheel gets the grease, after all.

I'm going to take apart the offline installer again and see if I can figure out what I missed the last two times I did it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I totally get that it's frustrating when things don't work like you want them to.  That said, venting your frustration without providing good troubleshooting data isn't going to help us get you to a resolution any faster.  There's no grand conspiracy here to deny that you're having a problem; however, until we can figure out what the issue is (which is most easily accomplished by reproducing the problem with a debugger attached), we're not going to get you fixed.  That's why people from the engineering team spend free time here reading and answering questions from you guys.

Flash installs fine for the vast majority of Yosemite users, and it was tested with advanced copies of the OS update.  The forums are representative of a self-selecting population, which may give you a false impression about the frequency or severity of the issue.  There are a handful of people complaining about this, and beyond not having permission to write to files which they should have permission to write to, there's no obvious evidence as to what's causing the problem.

We're not debating that you're experiencing an issue.  I'm sure you are.  The problem is that unless we have the ability to reproduce the problem, we have no way to debug it.  As you've read in the other threads, we provide some instructions on how to submit logs for analysis.

Installation problems are typically caused by something keeping Flash Player in-use, or in more rare instances, a filesystem problem that prevents the installer from writing to the appropriate files.  On Yosemite, this seems to be the Dashboard Client in a lot of instances.  One of the popular widgets probably uses an embedded WebKit instance that keeps Flash in-use, even when Safari is exited.  As we identify the common denominators, we'll make adjustments to future versions of installers to check for those kinds of things and minimize the pain.  The more useful data we can collect from the field, the more we can do to make the experience better.

The big variable is that in the vast majority of instances where people are experiencing problems, we're probably not talking about a fresh Yosemite install.  We're talking about a machine that has been in use for a long time doing a variety of stuff that we can't predict, and that has accreted a bunch of cruft and interesting settings through multiple OS updates and lots of software installation and web browsing.  We've upgraded a few machines from 10.9 to 10.10, but the matrix of things to test quickly becomes unachievably large if you start thinking about "let's test every single conceivable scenario against a 10.10 machine, and then repeat it for machines upgraded through every possible permutation of upgrade from 10.x through 10.10 on every hardware variant, and with both administrative and regular user accounts".  We're testing mostly on clean OS installs, because there is a finite amount of time and resources available to test with, and Yosemite covers about 2% of all web browsing at best.

That said, I'm very interested in knowing whether or not booting into Safe Mode and doing a clean uninstall/reinstall of Flash Player works for you.

Download the payloads here:

Uninstaller: Uninstall Flash Player | Mac OS

Offline Installer: http://fpdownload.macromedia.com/pub/flashplayer/current/support/install_flash_player_osx.dmg

Then boot into safe mode:

OS X: What is Safe Boot, Safe Mode? - Apple Support

Then run the uninstaller, followed by the offline installer.

If you still run into problems, let us know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I really understand that, and that you take the time helping us.

but the thing disturbed me a lot, is that I went through the routine methods , nothing works and it took a few days to respond.

but thanks for taking time now!

I Will do that, but in the meanwhile I would ask you to let me know how to get the best debugger in order to provide you with information to for solving.

best regards

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

install in safe Mode did not work ..

AMaldonado tried to repair the disk and user rights, but that didnt work either.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Safe mode not working here either. I also must say that, having developed for the Macintosh platform since 1998, if your software needs to be installed in safe mode, then something is wrong with your software. I can also say that my situation is not some kind of anomaly, as I do not update to new OS revisions -- I wipe everything and do a fresh install. I don't know if this is relevant.

Let us get some elementary questions out of the way that may assist all involved and help get this resolved. I have (again) disassembled the Flash Player pkg with Pacifist in order to get at the underlying components and extracted the plugin file, which appears to be compressed with the standard lzma file compression (from the dot-lzma extension). I cannot, however, get any lzma tool to recognise the format. This could be contributing to the failure to install -- i.e., the plugin won't expand. What is used to expand the plugin? It is unlikely that the installer binary handles this, as failed installs leave the compressed plugin in the expected location. Screen shots showing that xar or xz will not work on the compressed plugin:

xar doesnt recognise.png

xz tools doesnt recognise.png

Pacifist opened installer pkg, showing the compressed plugin:

Flash Player pkg.png

System logs also indicate a problem writing to a folder in the home directory. This occurs even if the binary in the offline installer app bundle is run with sudo.

11/8/14 18:54:22.444 Adobe Flash Player Install Manager[2613]: Persistent UI failed to open file file://localhost/Users/zm76/Library/Saved%20Application%20State/com.adobe.flashplayer.installmanager.savedState/window_1.data: Permission denied (13)

11/8/14 18:55:17.981 authexec[2652]: executing /Library/Application Support/Adobe/Flash Player Install Manager/fpsaud

Here is the aftermath of a failed install, even after the uninstaller is used. The compressed plugin lingers.

Screen Shot 2014-11-08 at 19.03.15.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As an expert developer, I'm sure that you can appreciate that we're simply troubleshooting.  Booting into safe mode eliminates the possibility that the installed player is in-use and ensures that the filesystem is in a consistent state.  It seemed like a reasonable troubleshooting step.

Have all of you verified that GateKeeper is set to Allow Apps from the Mac App Store and Identified Developers?  The default changed in Yosemite, and a number of people were reporting messages about the installer .dmg being corrupt when this setting was set to Mac App Store only.

We did some Yosemite-related work to the installer in the upcoming release (moving to V2 signing, etc).  Do you get better results installing the latest beta?

http://labsdownload.adobe.com/pub/labs/flashruntimes/flashplayer/flashplayer15_install_mac.dmg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 09, 2014 Nov 09, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I keep Gatekeeper off. Popping off to check the package offered in your post.

Screen Shot 2014-11-09 at 02.59.15.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Gets even less far than the stable package. Same errors.

Screen Shot 2014-11-09 at 03.10.35.png

Screen Shot 2014-11-09 at 03.09.41.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do I uncompress the plugin? If I could do that, then I could install it manually.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

same here : didn't work.
But tis funny that sometimes it stops at 7% , 25%, 75% and so on, even by trying the exact same installer it changes.
How did you get so far m76 ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I noticed that too. Sometimes 50, 40, 70.

I am going to extract the pkg from the app bundle and try to install it with the Apple installer to see what happens. I am now determined to fix this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The flat package fails during the validation stage with the Apple installer and the installer log shows this:

Nov  9 13:07:15 NRU.local installd[2636]: PackageKit: ----- Begin install -----

Nov  9 13:07:16 NRU.local installd[2636]: PackageKit: Install Failed: Error Domain=PKInstallErrorDomain Code=112 "An error occurred while running scripts from the package “Adobe Flash Player.pkg”." UserInfo=0x7fc2a32081f0 {NSFilePath=./postinstall, NSURL=file://localhost/Users/zm76/Downloads/Flash%20idiocy/beta/Adobe%20Flash%20Player.pkg#AdobeFlashPlayerComponent.pkg, PKInstallPackageIdentifier=com.adobe.pkg.FlashPlayer, NSLocalizedDescription=An error occurred while running scripts from the package “Adobe Flash Player.pkg”.} {

NSFilePath = "./postinstall";

NSLocalizedDescription = "An error occurred while running scripts from the package \U201cAdobe Flash Player.pkg\U201d.";

NSURL = "file://localhost/Users/zm76/Downloads/Flash%20idiocy/beta/Adobe%20Flash%20Player.pkg#AdobeFlashPlayerComponent.pkg";

PKInstallPackageIdentifier = "com.adobe.pkg.FlashPlayer";

}

Nov  9 13:07:17 NRU.local Installer[10755]: Install failed: The Installer encountered an error that caused the installation to fail. Contact the software manufacturer for assistance.

Nov  9 13:07:17 NRU.local Installer[10755]: Displaying 'Install Failed' UI.

Nov  9 13:07:17 NRU.local Installer[10755]: 'Install Failed' UI displayed message:'The Installer encountered an error that caused the installation to fail. Contact the software manufacturer for assistance.'.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, I used Pacifist to install with no errors, but I still get a compressed plugin in the Internet Plugins folder:

Screen Shot 2014-11-09 at 13.15.36.png

The prefs pane cannot find the plugin:

Screen Shot 2014-11-09 at 13.16.15.png

I am ready to say that the problem is definitely that the plugin is not being uncompressed. There are no scripts in the flat package to handle the uncompression. As far as I can tell, the Adobe installer app bundle does not either (hence the failure to install). I'm going to disassemble the Adobe installer binary to see if I can get a better idea of what it is trying to do. Could take a bit, but I will keep updating this thread as I find things. Jeromie, let's get this fixed -- we'll be the toast of the town.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's a post-processing step that uncompresses the folder.  It's weird that it's failing.

Is there anything useful in the installer log?  It's at ~/Library/Logs/FlashPlayerInstallManager.log

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's the bit from the last install using the official installer that I tried:

2014-11-09 13:14:39 -0500   IM: ---------- log start ----------

2014-11-09 13:14:41 -0500   IM: 1387

2014-11-09 13:14:44 -0500   IM: ---------- log start ----------

2014-11-09 13:14:46 -0500   IM: 1387

2014-11-09 13:14:46 -0500   IM: 1387

2014-11-09 13:14:55 -0500   IM: ----------  log end  ----------

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And here's from one I just tried with the beta installer.

2014-11-09 15:19:35 -0500   IM: ---------- log start ----------

2014-11-09 15:19:35 -0500   IM: All install checks pass

2014-11-09 15:19:47 -0500   IM: User does not have any processes that need to be closed before the Flash Player can be installed.

2014-11-09 15:19:47 -0500   IM: [install started]

installer: Package name is Adobe Flash Player

installer: Installing at base path /

installer: The install failed (The Installer encountered an error that caused the installation to fail. Contact the software manufacturer for assistance.)

2014-11-09 15:19:59 -0500   IM: [install completed]

2014-11-09 15:19:59 -0500   IM: [install failed]

2014-11-09 15:20:03 -0500   IM: ----------  log end  ----------

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmm, not super informative.  I'm still trying to work out a common denominator.  I just did a fresh Yosemite install on my personal machine after I lost the hard disk.  I realized that you probably have XCode installed and I don't.  Anything else that might be relevant?  You have a username with spaces or interesting characters? Non-english default system, etc?  Anything that might mess with the installer (antivirus/antimalware stuff, etc)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, current XCode installed (6.1).

No weirdness in the username, just 4 alphanumeric characters (letters & numbers only).

English system with no other language kits installed.

I have ClamAV, but it isn't active, i.e., I just run it on demand, so there's no AV stuff in the background poking around where it shouldn't.

I've noticed that both the installer and uninstaller generate errors in the system logs because they can't write to this folder:

Screen Shot 2014-11-09 at 17.18.58.png

I am going to change permissions so that it has universal write access and see what happens. Will report soon.

Edit: didn't make a difference.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 10, 2014 Nov 10, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wasn't able to open this folder on my machine either.  I was able to blow it away with a sudo rm -fr on that path.  It doesn't get recreated when I uninstall and reinstall, even after launching both Flash content and the Flash Player control panel utility. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines