• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom 5 importing photos in random order

New Here ,
Nov 09, 2014 Nov 09, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been using Lightroom 5 for some time and just recently my photos are importing out of chronological order. It will import photos from all over the card. They appear in chronological order but they are numbered according to which one was imported first. I can see them in chronological order on my computer but when I hit import through Lightroom the photos are imported and numbered in a non chronological order. This only started happening recently so I think it has to do with a recent update. I've tried formatting my card, using another card, and importing to another catalog, but nothing has changed yet.

Screen Shot 2014-11-10 at 12.59.49 PM.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Nov 09, 2014 Nov 09, 2014

I dunno what order Lr is supposed to import in.

But here is one way to resolve your issue:

* Choose a filenaming convention which does not rely on import sequence number.

For example, if you name according to "capture-date + original-image-number", then it won't matter what order they're imported in.

Maybe somebody else can get import order straightened out so you don't have to resort to changing filenaming convention - check: order in OS, and order in import dialog box for clues.

Rob

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Nov 09, 2014 Nov 09, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I dunno what order Lr is supposed to import in.

But here is one way to resolve your issue:

* Choose a filenaming convention which does not rely on import sequence number.

For example, if you name according to "capture-date + original-image-number", then it won't matter what order they're imported in.

Maybe somebody else can get import order straightened out so you don't have to resort to changing filenaming convention - check: order in OS, and order in import dialog box for clues.

Rob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 06, 2014 Dec 06, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have this exact issue, and it is driving me nuts. I have tried uninstalling LR5 and deleting all the system files I could get my hands on. The only thing I have not deleted is probably my catalogue file as that would more or less be the end of me...

And nothing works... after the import is done I end up reordering my shots by capture time and I have given up trying to have them in a numbered sequence however much it helps when I am doing edits with several thousand raw files from long work trips.

Rob, your solution is not a bad suggestion, but I still don't understand what has changed since I haven't changed settings anywhere.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 14, 2014 Dec 14, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you click on import look at the bottom of Lr5, center and slightly right ... you should see a button titled "Sort", click on it and choose capture time.  That was annoying until I found the button.  Good luck.  James

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 01, 2015 Jun 01, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very helpful - thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 16, 2015 Jun 16, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello. Here my experience.

My workflow includes to rename file with a preset that works like this

Date (AAAA)Date (MM)Date (GG)_File Name_Personal Text_Sequence number (01)

A couple of month ago I experienced that importing by capture time did a mess with chronological order then I switched to importing by file name. Today I had problemi importing by file name and I switched again to capture time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 16, 2015 Jun 16, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you be a little more specific as to what you mean by "mess?" It may have something to do with the naming preset you are using. If you can provide screen shots of the two sort orders (i.e. mess) perhaps we can make some sense of what's happening?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 08, 2015 Jul 08, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Thank you!!! I was having the same issue and I do believe it started when I upgraded to Yosemite.  Found the TINY Sort option at the bottom of the screen and it works. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 11, 2015 Aug 11, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the answer, this has been driving me nuts!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 02, 2015 Oct 02, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thx, That has been driving me nuts!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 30, 2016 Jun 30, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here it is in 2016 and this problem keeps cropping up. Thanks to your suggestion I can stop pulling out my hair!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 19, 2018 Jan 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exactly!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 30, 2015 Jan 30, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue and I never had to sort them previously.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 07, 2015 Feb 07, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have also had this issue and I believe it has been happening since I upgraded my Mac os to Yosemite. Before that it was never an issue. Now I seem to have to either hunt for my recent images or try to remember to delete previous shoots from my cards so that only current images are available for import. Very annoying.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sort_order.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 17, 2016 Nov 17, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tried changing the import dialogue as suggested - no luck. This has only happened since the latest LR update and its about t time Adobe got off their butt and fixed it. It seems a lot of us are having this issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 18, 2016 Nov 18, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Temple Dog wrote:

Tried changing the import dialogue as suggested - no luck. This has only happened since the latest LR update and its about t time Adobe got off their butt and fixed it. It seems a lot of us are having this issue.

There is nothing to fix. It doesn't matter how, in what order, the files are copied into the LR catalog. It is how you Display them in the Library module. Set the Sort: order to Capture time and all your images will be displayed in chronological order. earliest to latest or latest to earliest depending on what A > Z is set to (A - Z  Z - A).

sort order.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 15, 2016 Dec 15, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While I may agree that it does not matter what order LR imports the images, it matters a great deal to me what order it assigns numbers to the images! I do not agree that there is nothing to fix.

My template naming and numbering scheme has been unchanged for a long time:

Date (YY)Date (MM)_Custom Text_Image # (0001)

where Image # is tracked and assigned by the catalog.

I have experienced this problem too for months. LR used to happily import my images (sorted by Filename or Capture Time) in the Import dialog, and assign numbers to the images in the same order. I had never seen the results in the "Previous Import" window being displayed by "Added Order" before. When I now sort by Filename, the images are out of capture sequence. When I sort by Capture Time, all the filenames are out of sequence.

I now go through a two step importing and renaming sequence. But I find it prone to error. I have to re-sort after import. Then find the last number from previous imports. Select all of the images from current import. Apply the renumber scheme manually setting the starting number. I have found myself making errors in the subsequent steps. Besides, one of Lightroom's main features is the ease of managing the workflow for large numbers of pictures. This change in behaviour has been counter-productive.

If Adobe's official position is that the sequence number ordering is not defined, then please advise us! Otherwise, please FIX THE ISSUE.

Jim

LR 2015.8 (yes it remains unchanged after the latest update)

MacOS Sierra 10.12.1 (and also on El Capitan)

MacBook Pro Late 2013, 15" Retina

Import with "Copy as DNG" directly from "Devices" (the SD Card in the MBP slot, pix from Canon 70D, Canon t4i, Sony RX10-III)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 15, 2016 Dec 15, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Then set the Sort: in the import dialog window to Capture Time.

Simple solution to a problem caused by user error.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 16, 2016 Dec 16, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THE IMAGES ARE SORTED BY CAPTURE TIME IN THE IMPORT DIALOG. Sorry if that wasn't clear above (and also very clear in other users' posts.)

But during import, the images are renumbered in the order LR imports them, which differs greatly from the order they appear in the Import Dialog.

After import, if I display images by Capture time, the file name numbers are all jumbled. If I sort by file name, the Capture time is all jumbled.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 18, 2016 Nov 18, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Temple Dog wrote:

This thread is over 70 messages long.

Which issue are you actually having?

Which suggestion(s) did you try?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are two separate sort orders that you need to deal with:

1. Sorting in the import dialog

2. Sorting in the Library module.

Updates to the software often reset these values.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 07, 2015 Mar 07, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I now have this exact problem and it's driving me CRAZY, also.  It always worked before but has just screwed up recently.  Maybe, like suggested earlier, it was Yosemite update that did it.  Setting sort to capture time DOES NOT solve them problem.  It does sort them correctly but the file names do not correspond.  They are numbered randomly now, even though the sort order is correct.

Has anyone figured this out yet?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 08, 2015 Mar 08, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What happens if you sort by file name, which should be the same as sorting by capture time?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 09, 2015 Mar 09, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yup. exactly the same.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines