• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Poor Develop module performance on new retina iMac

Explorer ,
Nov 09, 2014 Nov 09, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All of the Develop module operation are extremely slow on my retina iMac.  This machine has the 4.0 GHz processor and upgraded GPU.  It should be very fast, and in fact for operations such as import, export, and preview creation it is.  But for Develop module functions it is much slower than my Mac Mini and my wife's Macbook Air.  When moving adjustment sliders, there is a delay of a second or more before the effect is seen on screen.  The same operation on the other computers is nearly instantaneous.  I am running version 5.6, but I went back and tried it with version 4.4 as well with the same result.  Can anyone give me advice on how to proceed?  Apple support says contact Adobe, but I haven't found any way to contact Adobe directly; I keep getting directed to the forums.  Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 09, 2014 Nov 09, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just for a test make the Lightroom window 1/4th of the size of your screen which will be about 2560X1440 pixels which is the display of the non-retina Imac.  Lightroom will then have to calculate a lot less pixels.  If it speeds up then it is a problem the high pixel count of the full screen.  Hopefully Adobe is addressing performance when using high pixel screens for Lightroom 6.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 03, 2015 Jan 03, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem with Photoshop. I've been using the new imac retina, and i have enormous problems with the performance of Photoshop. If i for example use the selective color correction, this does not run smoothly. Other functions also work delayed. I noticed if i do not use Photoshop in full screen mode and make the window 1/4th of the size of my screen,  everything goes back to normal. A friend used the predecessor model imac without 5k resolution, but has no problems. I suspect Photoshop has problems with the resolution of 5k. I hope Adobe fixed this problems with the next updates! With this terrible performance i cannot work. I actually just bought the new iMac Retina, because my old model was too slow... and now the Photoshop Performance is slower than on my old iMac.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 10, 2014 Nov 10, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I Have the same spec'd 5k iMac with 32gb of ram and I am having major slowness in develop module when trying to crop. I too am frustrated and don't have an answer as LR 5.6 is fine on my late 2013 Retina MacBook Pro and late 2012 27" iMac. Others with new 5k iMacs are reporting issues running LR.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i had this issue as well. i was having major issues with the crop tool and the spinning beach ball..... i accidentally found out what the cause of the problem is...

i Found out on my OS X Yosemite, when i looked at my disk permissions... (my catalog was stored on an external Thunderbolt 2 Scratch Disk) and found that the user permission did not have my username set up for Read & Write.

Click on the disk where your catalog is stored - right click and click get info - Look at sharing permissions. If your user account is not in there and set up for Read & Write it may cause the problems you are describing

ever since i fixed it up my issues are gone now

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, for sharing with me. I checked and my catalog which is on my internal hard drive and my user act is set up for Read & Write and I still have spinning beach ball when cropping.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Reducing LR window to 1/4th did speed things up, I also found that not applying noise reduction also sped things up. Hoping for better from Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We are investigating. Reducing the size of the window is most likely to help at this point, as the challenge here is the number of pixels being served up on the 5K screen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, reducing window size takes care of the problem, as does switching to 1280x1440 low resolution.  Unfortunately neither of those solution are realistic.  Hopefully Adobe can come up with some ways to enhance performance.  It will be a challenge, I imagine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

theres a three page thread about LR5 slowness so you are not alone.

Lightroom 5.6 Slooow!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 30, 2014 Nov 30, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

+++1

I can definitely tell that Lightroom suffers on the new retina iMac. I just received a maxed out version (i7, 32 gb, RX295 GPU) and LR is almost unusable when in maximum resolution and 'quite annoying' but usable when in the 'scaled display' option. LR mostly lags when using the Crop tool and the graduated filters but there's a general sense of not fluidity when using any slider. Quite disappointing really because I have to go through tons of pictures everyday and I would have thought that my productivity would increase from my 5 year old windows workstation, quite the contrary really.

I just discover that life doesn't end at Lightroom though and downloaded a trial version of capture 1 today, I'll give it a try tomorrow. In the meantime, is Adobe working on this problem or will it never be fixed/is an iMac problem?

thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Dec 15, 2014 Dec 15, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just wanted to chime in, as I'm having this problem as well. In another thread about this issue someone suggested that the problem is the preview that 1:1 preview that LR generates is not large enough to accommodate the full resolution of the retina iMac. So what if Adobe could just increase the maximum 1:1 preview size? Would that solve the problem?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can only add as  posted a week or so again

once I stopped using lens correction my dramas have disappeared

So I only make lens correction when exporting the file or when sending the file to PSE>>Nik and then I remove the l/correction from the raw file

Give it a go and see what happens on your machine

Good luck; hope it works out to be a great Christmas present for you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can only add as  posted a week or so again

once I stopped using lens correction my dramas have disappeared

So I only make lens correction when exporting the file or when sending the file to PSE>>Nik and then I remove the l/correction from the raw file

Give it a go and see what happens on your machine

Can you be more specific, please? Is there a setting somewhere to turn off lens correction by default? Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

in develop...right hand panel ..... lens correction (3 up from the bottom) >>basic...make sure the three boxes are not ticked

I think the top box 'enable profile correction' is my problem one

not sure if 'remove chromomatic aberation' is much of a drama

hope that solves yours and others dramas then Adobe will send me a big fat cheque/check for solving the dramas.........no; not holding my breath lol

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To be honest, I'm not sure anything can be done about this. For what I can read online, it seems to me the problem is related to the amount of pixels Lightroom needs to show on the gigantic new iMac screen hence it slows down the performance a lot. This is quite obvious when you reduce the resolution and it starts performing better. I think this is also related to Lightroom not using the GPU as opposed to Software like Premiere or Photoshop which I think perform quite well on the new iMac. The question is if Adobe will fix this at all or is it going to stay like this in future releases, only one way to find out I guess..............

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 21, 2014 Dec 21, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Experiencing the same.....SO SAD about this. The whole reason I got the 5k iMac in the first place was to use it with lightroom! So bummed

My iMac: 4ghz icore 7 with 32gigs of ram, and upgraded graphics card.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

IIt would be good at this stage to hear from Adobe? Because if this is related to the iMac not beimg powerful enough people NEED to know this before the spend large amounts of money on a useless computer.

could someone from Adobe talk here please?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't hold your breath waiting for an answer from Adobe. They rarely read this forum and reply here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

about all you would get is 'we are aware  some are experiencing dramas and we are working hard the fix the problem

Please let us know if not using the lens correction makes any difference (thats an open request to everyone)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Dec 22, 2014 Dec 22, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't have lens profile corrections turned on by default, yet was still having performance issues. So it's not the problem for me.

The only thing that seems to make a difference is reducing the window size, as was suggested earlier. Of course that's not a great solution, since one of the whole reasons I bought a retina iMac was to take advantage of the ability to view my images at such a high resolution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hear, hear. I was just about to ditch my PC and order the imac 5k. Now I'm not sure. How widespread is this problem? Is Adobe doing anything? Is it hardware, program or OS related? Does anyone have similar issues with the Dell UP2715k driven by a PC? Since a (the) major reason for buying a 5k monitor is photography or video post production one would assume that Adobe have tested. Please comment on this issue Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please comment on this issue Adobe.

djskinner50:

Adobe rarely comments in this forum, this is a user-to-user forum

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've seen Adobe reply in other forums (Premiere Cc) quite frequently so I think they should be part of this conversation. This is a forum by them!!!!!!! Also, this is not just a little glitch, one of their photography flagship pieces of software doesn't run properly in probably one of the best selling machines nowadays. Can they at least Make an official statement saying they're working on it? I've heard this same problem happens with Illustrator. Funny how fast they are picking the £48 off my account every month!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 30, 2015 Jan 30, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is exactly my situation: I want to buy this new retina iMac but I'm a Lightroom user and I won't if I know Adobe isn't going to fix this.

Others (maybe Apple haters) have said this is a CPU problem on Apple's part: the CPU on the iMac isn't powerful enough to support this many pixels. No doubt that might be true too so it may be a bit of both.

Whichever it is, I can't buy this machine until this is resolved. Or, I'll simply buy a 27" iMac without retina screen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines