Confirm that that is all the error message. The error occurring at zero time (rather than just before the end) is less common.
No specific cause is usually identified. The only reliable work around for most of these errors is deleting the xmpses file that carries marker information.
I am getting this exact error message on a project I am working on as well.
I have tried opening the Encore file and the DVD contents on a Mac Pro using 10.7.5 AND an iMac using Yosemite. I've received the same message.
The files do not have any subtitles. I have renamed files. I have deleted files. I have removed DVD contents. I have tried it with one file. Same results.
I am attaching a screen shot. Do you see anything I should change?
No idea what this comes from or what will fix it.
As you have observed in your obvious searches for this error, it appears to come from multiple issues with some users believing that particular steps may have fixed/worked around the problem. Other than the error "pgc" it is at time zero and occurs during the build. Your screenshot shows that it occurs at/during/at the end of (we don't really know) the "planning video" stage. That is fairly early. Provides few clues.
Things I'd try: remove the ROM content (should make no difference); build to a folder (should make no difference).
You describe several steps that still result in the error. Are you creating a new Encore project with a new name for each test? If one file in a new Encore project is creating the error, create a new project, copy the m2v and wav files (without the xmpses file) and import as timeline to the project. does that fail?
While it should not crate this error, I'd use a DVD size menu in a test to eliminate the possibility.
I finally decided this wasn't a problem within Encore. So I deleted the main video (1 of 3 videos on the DVD) and built the DVD again. It worked and burned successfully. So the problem appeared to be with my main video.
I went back to Adobe Premiere Pro and rendered the video again. I imported the new version back into Encore, build the DVD disc and it burned successfully!
However, I'm not exactly sure why this version worked.
I made two changes. In the new version of the video, I re-position the Chapter 1 marker in Premiere Pro. I moved it over about two seconds. I did that because the Encore error indicated a problem at 00;00;00;00:00. The video does not have any other chapter markers.
I also noticed in a previous successfully-burned Encore-created DVD that used the same Photoshop created menu in this version, that the DVD menu had the First Play feature. In my problem version, First Play was on the first video (the version I re-created). So I switched First Play back to the DVD menu.
Which do you think solved the problem?
First, congrats on fixing it!
It should be "neither"! A video being first play is allowed (that is the classic FBI warning scenario). Also, Encore always adds a chapter at zero time (no chapter markers in Premiere results in one chapter marker at time zero), and adding a chapter marker means there are at least 2 markers in Encore.
Sometimes there's just a problem with a transcode that if fixed by doing it over.
I wonder if you had a bit of blank video or audio at the beginning of your sequence in Premiere.
I'll try to play with it if I have time.
You are correct about the blank video or audio at the beginning of my video sequence.
I had created a two-second spacer at the beginning of my video by placing a unfilled title with a black background. Why would that cause a problem?
I do not understand truly why this causes such problems. I believe that the parts of Encore that handle the build are the parts licensed from Sonic/Roxio, and they had their issues. Part of the build process is demuxing muxed assets (if not already demuxed - yours were), then putting the streams into the vobs with other information. Unequal lengths, gaps, etc, for whatever reason can create problems. An audio clip with silence at the beginning of your sequence might have worked just as well as other changes.
It seems that small empty title in the beginning of project helped me to, although I have rendered a small piece of movie as trial...
I had the same trouble. The video .m2v file was set to "don't transcode". I changed it to Automatic. Fixed it.
Glad you got it to work. But your change meant that Encore retranscoded the video. If the quality is good, no problem.