6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 13, 2014 6:43 PM by JFPhoton

Use of an SSD RAID 0 on a laptop

JFPhoton Level 3

I am curious to know if their would be any performance benefit......or hindrance....if I took advantage of my Asus gaming laptop's ability to create a RAID 0 of two fast SSDs now occupying both internal HDD bays, instead of the conventionl approach of using one SSD for OS, programs and page file and the other SSD for all else. Could a single volume that has over 1 GB per second data rate with EVERYTHING on it OUTPERFORM two separate SSDs when using PPro ??

• 1. Re: Use of an SSD RAID 0 on a laptop
          Peru Bob Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You could try it and then run the PPBM6 benchmark.

• 2. Re: Use of an SSD RAID 0 on a laptop
            Bill Gehrke Most Valuable Participant

The only problem that I see is that with your OS/applications on RAID 0 is that recovery in case of problems is extremely difficult, normal recovery tools just do not work on RAID volumes.  That is the main reason why I have not done it. 

I know that it would give an improved PPBM score but only on the Disk I/O score.  On my G750JW similar laptop (two SSD's non-RAID) it probably would drop my export time to the second SSD score of ~75 seconds to something around half of that ~38-40 seconds.  I seriously doubt that it would do anything to change the other 3 scores as they have been designed to be intensive with either CPU (MPEG2-DVD without GPU) or GPU (MPEG2-DVD with GPU) or a combination of the two (H.264).  I really do not think it is worth the problem or otherwise I certainly would have done it.

• 3. Re: Use of an SSD RAID 0 on a laptop
              aguila7r Level 1

I have my Asus G750JS upgraded. This are my specs right now and am having problems with the stability of my Adobe CC software and I have my orginal OS Windows 8.1. What's making the problem here????

16GB Ram

Nvidia 870GT 3GBVRam

i7 4700

1 SSD 240GB for C: and F: (stock)

1 SSD 1TB for footage (upgraded)

• 4. Re: Use of an SSD RAID 0 on a laptop
                JFPhoton Level 3

Thanks Bill !!!...it's good to get advice from  from someone who not only has the same hardware,but, someone who really KNOWS what they are talking about !!

• 5. Re: Use of an SSD RAID 0 on a laptop
                  Bill Gehrke Most Valuable Participant

aguila7r wrote:

I have my Asus G750JS upgraded. This are my specs right now and am having problems with the stability of my Adobe CC software and I have my orginal OS Windows 8.1. What's making the problem here????

16GB Ram

Nvidia 870GT 3GBVRam

i7 4700

1 SSD 240GB for C: and F: (stock)

1 SSD 1TB for footage (upgraded)

I sure do not know, I do not have any stability problems running PPBM with version 8.1 on my sort of similar laptop G750JW with a GTX765M upgraded with memory and two SSD's.

Run the PPBM7 or 8 benchmark software so we can see the results of your setup and tuning.

• 6. Re: Use of an SSD RAID 0 on a laptop
                    JFPhoton Level 3

Aguila,

Several suggestions :

1.  upgrade your system RAM to the maximum you can install. On this laptop, two 8GB sticks are HIDDEN in an inaccessible place on the back of the motherboard.  You  have two EMPTY slots you can access on the bottom of the laptop.  You can install 2 more matching, ( same specs as existing), 8GB modules, giving you a total of 32 GB of system memory!!! This is important because the newest versions of PPro CC 2014 have improvements which allow the greater use of system memory to improve performance....especially with the Canon DSLR  mov codecs. The more memory the better.   16GB memory for PPro, and especially for After Effects, is currently a little LOW....go for more !!!

2. Your CPU and Nvidia GPU are GREAT !!! I have the same CPU in my G750JW and it FAR surpasses my old i7 machine.......it turbos up to 3.4 Ghz automatically on ALL 4 CORES under load !!!!

Your GPU is MUCH better than mine....3GB video memory and over 120 GB per second memory band width !!!!

BE AWARE !!!   You can EASILY get even BETTER performance by installing the FREE MSI Afterburner program to SAFELY overclock your GPU as I am doing. You only need to adjust ONE setting....the "memory clock speed" The default maximum frequency on your card is 2500 Mhz. Mine is lower at 1500Mhz. After burner allows me to set a max at 3000Mhz, which I am doing with NO heating issues at all !!! Does NOT go over 63 C, even with HEAVY gaming !! The GPU is SAFE all the way to past 80C !!!

The mobile GPUs have a lower default memory clock to save battery life....you must be plugged in while editing anyway....go ahead and see how far you can raise the memory clock on the GPU !!! My machine with the GPU overclocked cuts the export time by 25% on 4 track videos with heavy GPU accelerated effects that almost saturate the card to 100%usage. YOURS should do WAY better than THAT overclocked !!

3. Some G750JS laptops come with TWO 120 GB mSATA SSDs setup in a RAID 0.....is that what you have ??? If you DO...that is GREAT !!! MAKE SURE the ONLY thing on it is the Operating system, all programs, AND the "windows page file". GET RID of the "F" partition and anything else on that RAID. There may be a program in Control panel to help with that. Some 750JSs have a single 256GB Sandisk SSD which has mediocre performance, at best.  Your laptop is TIP-TOP in almost every important category...after increasing the memory....THROW AWAY the USELESS 1TB 5400 rpm hard drive that is provided...it is TOO SLOW for video editing and PPro and is BELOW spec for PPro.It WILL cause a bottleneck if you use it with PPro !! Maybe keep it for use in an external cheap USB 3 dock as a backup, archival drive. If you have the Sandisk SSD....REPLACE IT with a Crucial M550 SSD...the Crucial is SLIGHTLY second ONLY to the Samsung 850 Pro series in performance, The Samsung is WAY more expensive. When choosing SSDs for use with PPro, you should pick ONLY from these two models...it would take too long to explain why...but, it is the best advice.BOTH these SSDs give WAY BETTER read and write performance than the Sandisk. Don't put footage on your "C" drive....only put those 3 items I mentioned. Footage,project files, previews,media cache and cache files all can go on a SECOND fast SSD, ( "D" drive),....either the 500GB,or,1TB version of the M550 or Samsung 850 Pro would be BEST. If the budget does not allow it, a quality 7200 rpm HDD can be used, ( Seagate,or, Western Digital)....however, "fill degradation" and "latency" will affect the performance compared to an SSD. Another idea is to get, for only $50, the 128 GB PNY USB 3 high speed  external "thumb drive", and use THAT for previews and cache files, ( which PPro RECREATES if necessary when lost,or, not available). Bill Gehrke uses HIS for footage and project files...this drive has a READ speed of almost 200MB per second !

4. Make sure Windows is fully updated . Check that no updates have been missed.

5. Make sure that your Nvidia card DRIVER is CURRENT !!! A new one came out TODAY !!! Use "GeForce Experience" to notify you and to install the newest drivers immediately, as they come out frequently.

6. Make sure your PPro CCloud 2014 is fully updated to the newest version....but, ONLY after COMPLETING any existing projects !!!  If you UPDATE while working on a project,you can easily create BIG PROBLEMS !!!

7. Visit the "PPBM7" website and test your current machine with the benchmark program written for PPro by Bill Gehrke to see how it performs, and where "bottlenecks" may show up. We ALREADY KNOW that the 1 TB HDD is probably causing problems. Then, after upgrading and fine tuning your machine, test it AGAIN to see the improvement. Your machine SHOULD come out on top as the fastest laptop...it has better hardware than mine,or, Bills.....good luck !!!

8. You may need to insure that you ARE GETTING "GPU Acceleration" with the "GPU Mercury playback" selected in preferences and not greyed out and showing" software only" instead.

9. Also, you may need to enter the Nvidia control panel and manually select the" Nvidia GPU only" setting for use with PPro. This is because our Haswell CPUs have INTERNAL graphics which are used at low levels of operation to save battery power. Under certain loads and higher, the laptop automatically switches to the Nvidia card which burns more juice. Check your laptop "power settings" to MAKE SURE that when plugged in, all your settings are for MAXIMUM PERFORMANCE !!! I had HUGE PROBLEMS for two weeks, not realizing I had OVERLOOKED THIS, and the laptop was throttling back and using the internal graphics to CRIPPLE PPro and any gaming !!!!