1 2 Previous Next 79 Replies Latest reply on Nov 13, 2014 1:04 PM by GuyJr Go to original post
      • 40. Re: Changes to Photoshop CS5 and Applescript
        EdgeparkKen

I have a somewhat complex script that is performing a repeat and I don't understand why CS5 is broken on it.

tell application "Finder"
            -- make an item list from your identified folder
            set itemList to files in raw_folder
        end tell

-- create a repeat that takes each file from the item list and do something
        repeat with i from 1 to count of items of itemList
                set fileName to item i of itemList as alias
                --set itemPath to raw_folder & fileName
            end tell

tell application "Adobe Photoshop CS5"
                set display dialogs to never

activate
                open fileName

ScriptDebugger is reporting at this point the script starts. I have tried changing the last line to

open alias fileName but it still stops.

Is there really broken script communication between PSCS5 and OSX?

• 41. Re: Changes to Photoshop CS5 and Applescript
          JonLo Adobe Employee

This is an example of dealing with the alias problem:

set appFolder to path to applications folder as string
          set myPath to appFolder & "Adobe Photoshop CS5:Samples:"
          tell application "Finder" to set fileList to name of files of folder myPath
          set fileNum to count items of fileList

activate
              set display dialogs to never
              repeat with i from 1 to fileNum
                  open alias (myPath & item i of fileList)
              end repeat
          end tell

The key is to coerce/cast the alias as "string" then in Photoshop coercing/casting it back to alias.

In your example, if you change the following lines, it should work for you:

In Finder:

set fileName to item i of itemList as alias => set fileName to (item i of itemList) as string

in Photoshop:

open fileName => open alias fileName

• 42. Re: Changes to Photoshop CS5 and Applescript
            EdgeparkKen Level 1

Thank you so much!

• 43. Re: Changes to Photoshop CS5 and Applescript
              thomas.thielke

Please also send me the patch plug in.

tom dot thielke at qg dot com.

Thanks!

• 44. Re: Changes to Photoshop CS5 and Applescript
                arrowstotle Level 1

The plugin would be most helpful here too.

Please send to: arrowstotle    mac dot com.

Thanks in advance.

• 45. Re: Changes to Photoshop CS5 and Applescript
                  leo.r Level 1

Hi Jesper,

Thanks for releasing the fixed plug-in.

Could you please send me a copy to support at zevrix dott com.

Do you know when the fixed plug-in will be incorporated with Photoshop?

One of Zevrix products, LinkOptimizer, relies on AppleScript interaction with Photoshop. Several users reported this problem and I'd like to have some more specific info for them, if possible. Although it looks like this problem is quite rare.

Thanks,

Leo Revzin

Zevrix Solutions

http://zevrix.com

• 46. Re: Changes to Photoshop CS5 and Applescript
                    SuperMacGuy Level 2

Jesper, are you an Adobe employee? Is this an official patch?

• 47. Re: Changes to Photoshop CS5 and Applescript
                      Meredith Payne Stotzner Adobe Employee

For people who got the updated Scripting Support plug-in from Jesper: In case you did not see the memo...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ -

Subject: IMPORTANT: Plug-ins to replace before running the Photoshop 12.0.1 live patch

Dear Photoshop customer,

You have been identified as someone who may have replaced plug-ins that were not in the 12.0 shipping version of Photoshop. In order to run the 12.0.1 patch that will be released later tonight at 9pm PST, you will need to replace the 12.0.1 beta versions with the 12.0 versions of the plugins. Here are the 3 plugins that are known to be affected:

• Liquify
                      • MultiProcessor Support
                      • ScriptingSupport

Here are the full paths for each plugin:

Adobe Photoshop CS5/Plug-Ins/Extensions/MultiProcessor Support.plugin
                      Adobe Photoshop CS5/Plug-Ins/Extensions/ScriptingSupport.plugin
                      Adobe Photoshop CS5/Plug-Ins/Filters/Liquify.plugin

*Note: you only need to replace the beta version of the plugin you were given (not all three plugins)*

Once you have replaced these files, you will be able to successfully run the 12.0.1 patch installer via Help > Updates.

If you have forwarded beta versions of these plugins to anyone else, please also forward this email so they can successfully run the patch.

Barry Young
                      Quality Engineering Manager, Photoshop

------ End of Forwarded Message

I've attached the 12.0 ScriptingSupport plug-in, in case you do not have the original.

Thanks for your help!
                      Meredith

• 48. Re: Changes to Photoshop CS5 and Applescript
                        panelson

I have successfully upgraded the scripting support plugin to v12.0.1 when I upgraded Photoshop. I am still having problems with several scripts that worked fine in CS4. I cannot get Photoshop to open a document either using an alias or the POSIX path.

This is a sample path that I have assigned to the variable, theimage: "Hard Drive/Users/alex/Pictures/Thumbnails/PAN_20070112_6237_thumb.jpg"

and here is the code that I am using to open the document:

activate

open theimage showing dialogs never

set docRef to current document

set ruler units of settings to inch units

set theheight to the height of the current document

set thewidth to the width of the current document

set theres to the resolution of the current document

end tell

The line, "open theimage..." fails to open the document in Photoshop, and when the next line, "set docRef..." executes, I get the error: "Adobe Photoshop CS5 got an error: Can’t get current document." since the doc was not opened in the first place.

Is anyone successfully opening documents via AppleScript using PS CS5 v12.0.1, and if so, would you mind sharing the code with me?

• 49. Re: Changes to Photoshop CS5 and Applescript
                          arrowstotle Level 1

I've found a problem with the ScriptingSupport plugin as part of the 12.01 update:

Macs  in Snow leopard(10.6.3 or 4) running CS5 12.01 in 64 bit mode work reliably running scripts.

Macs in Leopard(10.5.8) running CS5 12.01 in 64 bit mode frequently fail to be able to run scripts reporting "unable to open image", as though the scriptngsupport.plugin had not been updated. I have confirmed that the plugin is version 12.01. This can be reproduced across a number of CS5 installs/Macs.

The solution has been to switch CS5 to 32 bit mode(file/ get info) and the errors stop.

• 50. Re: Changes to Photoshop CS5 and Applescript
                            panelson Level 1

I'm running Mac OSX 10.6.4 and Photoshop 12.0.1 with the latest Scripting Support plugin. I have tried running AppleScripts with Photoshop in both 32 and 64 bit modes, and in both cases Photoshop was not able to execute a simple open command. The script that I am running is one that I have been successfully using for years with previous versions of Photoshop. Clearly there is still something that is broken with Photoshop CS5's support for AppleScript.

I am wondering if Adobe is going to address the issue at some point very soon, since PS CS5 has broken my production workflow???

• 51. Re: Changes to Photoshop CS5 and Applescript
                              JonLo Adobe Employee

If you change your path to the Finder's path format like "Hard Drive:Users:alex:Pictures:Thumbnails:PAN_20070112_6237_thumb.jpg" and change the open command as "open alias theimage showing dialogs never", your script should work fine.

Another solution is taking out "Hard Drive" from your path, i.e. "/Users/alex/Pictures/Thumbnails/PAN_20070112_6237_thumb.jpg" and use the command "open alias theimage showing dialogs never". This is the correct POSIX path of your image file.

Let me know if you still have problem in opening the images.

• 52. Re: Changes to Photoshop CS5 and Applescript
                                JonLo Adobe Employee

Could you please post an example here? Thanks in advance.

• 53. Re: Changes to Photoshop CS5 and Applescript
                                  panelson Level 1

Thanks Jon, I now see the error in my script (and I was convinced that it was Photoshop's fault).

• 54. Re: Changes to Photoshop CS5 and Applescript
                                    Peter Payne Level 1

Hi, I am the original poster and it's funny that to do this day, doing a Google search on Applescript problems with CS5 brings up my post (I am honored). I'd like to tell Adobe in no uncertain terms the poor attention to Applescript cost them about 10 potential CS5 upgrades, and if CS6 continues to have broken scripts, without the ability to even tell the current document to do something, you will probably lose a customer for like (or, I'll stay at CS3 for the remainder of my company's lifespan). If I need to totalyl rework all my scripting from the ground up I'll find another tool to based my business around.

• 55. Re: Changes to Photoshop CS5 and Applescript
                                      JonLo Adobe Employee

Peter, could you please give us an example to show the problems you encountered? Thanks a lot.

• 56. Re: Changes to Photoshop CS5 and Applescript
                                        mnp13 Level 1

I am having a somewhat similar problem. I have a script that worked perfectly in CS4, except for the limitations of CS4 with printing. I have upgraded to the trial version of CS5 because supposedly the actions in CS5 record printing preferences. The following script worked PERFECTLY in CS4. Now when I run it in CS5 I get an error "Photoshop CS5.1 has an error: file some object wasn't found."

I didn't change ANYTHING in the script except for telling it to use CS5 instead of CS4, and the name of the action (because I made a new one in CS5)

on adding folder items to this_folder after receiving these_items

try
                                                       repeat with i from 1 to number of items in these_items
                                                            try
                                                                 set this_item to item i of these_items

tell application "Adobe Photoshop CS5.1"
                                                                      open this_item
                                                                      do action "deskjet9800" from "photobooth"

end tell
                                                            on error error_message
                                                                      display dialog "Error for item " & (this_item as string) ¬
                                                                           & ": " & error_message buttons {"Continue", "Cancel"} ¬
                                                                           default button 1 giving up after 120
                                                                 end tell
                                                            end try
                                                       end repeat
                                                  end tell
                                             on error error_message
                                                       display dialog error_message buttons {"Cancel"} ¬
                                                  end tell
                                             end try

end adding folder items to

Any help would be greatly appreciated. This is REALLY frusterating!!!

Oh, and I'm on a Mac, 10.5.8, with Photoshop CS5 12.1 x64

And I do have the scripting plug in in the automate folder.

And I tried removing the "do action" line, to see if Photoshop would just open the image, and got the same error.

Michelle

• 57. Re: Changes to Photoshop CS5 and Applescript
                                          mnp13 Level 1

Ok, I kept on digging after I posted, and I actually solved my own problem, so I thought I would share it with you.

on adding folder items to this_folder after receiving these_items

try
                                                         repeat with i from 1 to number of items in these_items
                                                              try
                                                                   set this_item to item i of these_items

-- Coerce each alias to string
                                                                   set this_item to this_item as string

tell application "Adobe Photoshop CS5.1"

open alias this_item showing dialogs never

do action "deskjet9800" from "photobooth"

end tell
                                                              on error error_message
                                                                        display dialog "Error for item " & (this_item as string) ¬
                                                                             & ": " & error_message buttons {"Continue", "Cancel"} ¬
                                                                   end tell
                                                              end try
                                                         end repeat
                                                    end tell
                                               on error error_message
                                                         display dialog error_message buttons {"Cancel"} ¬
                                                    end tell
                                               end try

end adding folder items to

I also changed the CS5 preferences to open in 32 bit mode, because somewhere, someone said to do that. And now it's working, so I'm just going to leave it that way!

In case anyone is wondering, this is a home made photobooth that I'm making for my wedding. The action that PS5 is calling opens the file, scales it to 5 inches wide, then crops it to 7 inches tall, then saves and prints the image. It then opens another file, copy and pastes a "frame" onto the image (that says thanks for coming, and has the wedding date), then saves it to a different folder, and prints a second copy for them to take home with them. Then closes all of the images and waits for the next one.

Not all that complicated really, and saved me $1000 in photobooth rental fees. Sure, it's costing me paper and ink, and the supplies to build the booth itself ($50 in PVC pipe and connectors, I'm borrowing the fabric), but I'm out about $100 at this point, I learned a lot about scripting and I have the satisfaction of doing it myself!!! lol

THANKS!

Michelle

• 58. Re: Changes to Photoshop CS5 and Applescript
                                            JonLo Adobe Employee

Thank you, Michelle, for the sharing. It must be a wonderful accomplishment to do it all by yourself. The key change you made from the original script is

By adding this line, "this_item" became a string from a "Finder" alias, you then cast/coerce it back to a "Photoshop" alias through "open alias". Great job!!

• 59. Re: Changes to Photoshop CS5 and Applescript
                                              tomdev Level 1

All these different ways of representing file references, what a mess! And a pain to script.

• 60. Re: Changes to Photoshop CS5 and Applescript
                                                panelson Level 1

--I found that using the following to choose a file from a standard open dialog box...

property theimage : missing value

--open an image file

--check to see if the image is referenced or missing

if theimage is missing value then

set theimage to choose file of type {"JPEG", "TIFF"}

set theimage to theimage as string

end if

--and then adding the following line solved the problem.

open alias theimage showing dialogs never

I think I wasted a couple of hours trying to figure this out with posts and help from people on this forum (thank you). But what a waste. None of us should have had to go through this.

• 61. Re: Changes to Photoshop CS5 and Applescript
                                                  mnp13 Level 1

JonLo wrote:

Thank you, Michelle, for the sharing. It must be a wonderful accomplishment to do it all by yourself. The key change you made from the original script is

By adding this line, "this_item" became a string from a "Finder" alias, you then cast/coerce it back to a "Photoshop" alias through "open alias". Great job!!

THANKS!

I wanted to be sure to share what was working, because soooo often there are threads on forums that say "I have this problem and can't figure it out" (and I'm having the exact same problem) then a few posts later, there is one that says "I got it working, thanks!" but they never share what they did...

So hopefully, my success will help someone else in the future!

• 62. Re: Changes to Photoshop CS5 and Applescript
                                                    JonLo Adobe Employee

Basically you can cast/coerce a string into a known type/class in Photoshop, here we use "open alias". "alias" is casting/coercing the string followed into an alias, then using "open" command to open the file. You could use "open file" to achieve the same goal, while in this case the string is casting as a "file".

This give you the flexibility to manipulate the path to open the alias/file.

• 63. Re: Changes to Photoshop CS5 and Applescript
                                                      sport44

Hey JonLo.  I have a serious issue.  I've gone through endless forums and I'm either too thick to comprehend my issue or there's a serious scripting bug.  I want to open a dynamic filepath.  For instance, it will be at Users:folder:folder1 once, but accessed in a differnet folder the next time. Script:

set locationLogoPackage to (choose folder with prompt "Please locate your LOGO PACKAGE folder") as alias

set folderPrimary to make new folder at locationLogoPackage with properties {name:"Primary"}

set folderPDF to make new folder at folderPrimary with properties {name:"pdf"}

set folderTIF to make new folder at folderPrimary with properties {name:"tif"}

set folderPDF to (folderPDF) as alias

set folderTIF to (folderTIF) as alias

tell "Finder"

set filePDF to files in folderPDF

set filePDF to (filePDF) as string

end tell

open alias filePDF

save current document in (folderTIF) as TIFF without options

close current document saving no

end tell

however it works with a definite file path =(...

set locationLogoPackage to (choose folder with prompt "Please locate your LOGO PACKAGE folder") as alias

set folderPrimary to make new folder at locationLogoPackage with properties {name:"Primary"}

set folderPDF to make new folder at folderPrimary with properties {name:"pdf"}

set folderTIF to make new folder at folderPrimary with properties {name:"tif"}

set folderPDF to (folderPDF) as alias

set folderTIF to (folderTIF) as alias

set filePDF to "500gig:Users:wyatt:Desktop:logo_package:Primary:pdf:testAi.pdf" as string

end tell

open alias filePDF

save current document in ("500gig:Users:user1:Desktop:logo_package:Primary:tif") as TIFF without options

end tell

• 64. Re: Changes to Photoshop CS5 and Applescript
                                                        JonLo Adobe Employee

Hi there,

I think your example of definite file path is correct. So the problem is how to get a list of files into a list of strings.

Under Finder, you

set filePDF to files in folderPDF     -- you get a list of files (file object)

set filePDF to (filePDF) as string     -- you get a single string of the list of files you got from previous line

So, how can you get a list of strings?

set myFolder to folderPDF as string     -- you get the path to your PDF folder as string

set tifFolder to folderTIF as string          -- you get the path to your TIF folder as string

set fileList to name of files of folderPDF     -- you get every filename in that folder which is text/string

end tell

repeat with filename in fileList

set myFile to myFolder & filename          -- now you get the full path to the file as string

-- then you could treat it like a single file

open alias myFile

save current document in (tifFolder) as TIFF without options

end tell

end repeat

Let me know if you hit any problem.

• 65. Re: Changes to Photoshop CS5 and Applescript
                                                          AlbumMan

Hi I am having problems with this appleScript

tell application "adobe photoshop CS5.1

activate

set myRes to 300 as number

set myW to 900 as number

set myH to 900 as number

set myPath1 to alias "scriptPath:openPhotoShopDoc.js"

do javaScript myPath1 with arguments {"Tif ", "side 1", myW, myH, myRes}

end tell

It worked fine in CS4

Please send this patch to me also:

colin at versatile albums dot com

Hopefully it will solve my problem also.

Regards

AlbumMan

• 66. Re: Changes to Photoshop CS5 and Applescript
                                                            JonLo Adobe Employee

Hi AlbumMan,

If you are using CS5.1 then you have the latest ScriptingSupport plug-in.

As for the script, since I don't know what's in you Javascript, openPhotoShopDoc.js, I can't comment on that. But on the AppleScript side, it seems OK. Could you give me an example of your JS? TIA.

• 67. Re: Changes to Photoshop CS5 and Applescript
                                                              AlbumMan Level 1

You may find this a bit confusing, but the details of the appleScript and the javaScript that follows are both created from variables entered within a Director Mx2004 movie.

The javaScript is then placed in a known location and that is passed to Photoshop

The appleScript is run by a Director Xtra command.

This is the javaScript.

// remember current unit settings and then set units to units used by script

var originalUnit = preferences.rulerUnits;

preferences.rulerUnits = Units.PIXELS;

// Close any open documents

while (app.documents.length > 0) {

app.activeDocument.close()

}

// Get size for new Document

var mattW = arguments[2];

var mattH = arguments[3];

// Create new page document

var docRef1 = app.documents.add(mattW,mattH,arguments[4],arguments[1],NewDocumentMode.RGB,DocumentFill. WHITE);

// restore original ruler settings

app.preferences.rulerUnits = originalUnit;

• 68. Re: Changes to Photoshop CS5 and Applescript
                                                                JonLo Adobe Employee

Hi AlbumMan,

I did not see any problem of the JavaScript, either. I can run the AppleScript to kick off the Javascript without problem. The only problem I encountered is "NewDocumentMo de.RGB". There is an extra space in between "Mo" & "de". Please let me know if you still have problem, and the error message you got.

• 69. Re: Changes to Photoshop CS5 and Applescript
                                                                  AlbumMan Level 1

JonLo

The space in the script is just an unintentional line break during copy and pasting.

Very strange. Tried to run the script with just 1 small image and it worked fine. But only once!

Tried again with a larger image and it failed.

Tried again with Photoshop already open and it failed on both attempts.

Here is the message recieved:

error screen.jpg

I am recieving complaints from my Italian clients.

So as you can see it is an Italian version. I am testing in this language for my clients.

Also I should mention that it is a 30 day trial version as I only have CS4 on my system.

It is version 12.1 extended

Regards

AlbumMan

• 70. Re: Changes to Photoshop CS5 and Applescript
                                                                    JonLo Adobe Employee

This error is from JavaScript, and the only command you show here is "app.documents.add()", which is an essential function and should not have any problem. I could not reproduce the error even with a loop of many iterations calling from AppleScript.

On the AppleScript front, it will be more safe to change your script as follows:

set myPath1 to "scriptPath:openPhotoShopDoc.js"

do javaScript alias myPath1 with arguments {"Tif ", "side 1", myW, myH, myRes}

But, if you could run the JavaScript, then it's not the issue. You might want to dig into your JavaScript to see which line caused the error to pop up.

• 71. Re: Changes to Photoshop CS5 and Applescript
                                                                      AlbumMan Level 1

JonLo

That works fine. Just move the word "Alias" and it works great.

Must be a lot more sensative.

Many thanks

AlbumMan

• 72. Re: Changes to Photoshop CS5 and Applescript
                                                                        ryan135

Hi,

I have a similar issue, but cannot seem to get my script to work using the Photoshop CS5 trial version. Here is the script for Photoshop CS3, which works. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Ryan (sherman@enasco.com)

with timeout of 10000 seconds

--select folder to run proofs on

activate

set finalPDFsFolder to choose folder with prompt "Select Final PDF's folder"

set folPath to finalPDFsFolder as text

--list contents of selected folder

set folList to list folder finalPDFsFolder without invisibles

display dialog "Import version file as CMYK or Grayscale?" buttons {"CMYK", "grayscale"}

set theMode to button returned in the result

--if contents don't contain "Regular Version" folder and "Version Proofs" folder and at least one other folder then error

(*repeat with a in folList

set tempFile to (folPath & a) as alias

if file type of tempFile is not "fold" then

error "The Folder you have selected is not set up properly, this script will end. Bonehead!"

end if

end repeat*)

if (count of folList) < 3 then

error "The Folder you have selected is not set up properly, this script will end. Bonehead!"

end if

set tempfolList to {}

repeat with y in folList

set y to y as string

copy y to end of tempfolList

end repeat

if tempfolList does not contain "Approved Regular Version" and tempfolList does not contain "Version Proofs" then

end if

--set up paths to regular and version proof folders

set regVerFol to (folPath & "Approved Regular Version") as alias

set regVerPath to regVerFol as text

set verProofsFol to (folPath & "Version Proofs") as alias

set verProofsPath to verProofsFol as text

--list contents of "Approved Regular Version" folder

set regVerList to list folder regVerFol

set theList to regVerList

set sortedList to my quickSort(theList)

set regVerList to sortedList

--make a list of root names of regular version files

set RegVerRoots to {}

repeat with j in regVerList

set oldDelim to AppleScript's text item delimiters

set AppleScript's text item delimiters to "."

set jRoot to text item 1 of j

set AppleScript's text item delimiters to oldDelim

copy jRoot to the end of RegVerRoots

end repeat

--list contents of "Version Proofs" folder

set verProofsList to list folder verProofsFol

set theList to verProofsList

set verProofsList to sortedList

--make a list of the other folders

set verFolList to {}

repeat with x in folList

set x to x as string

if x is not "Regular Version" and x is not "Version Proofs" and x is not "Approved Regular Version" then

copy x to the end of verFolList

end if

end repeat

--list contents of other folders through repeat statement(s)

--compare contents of Approved Regular Version folder to contents of other folder

--if there's a match set the two files as a pair and slap them in a list

set filePairsList to {}

repeat with z in verFolList

set zFol to (folPath & z) as alias

set zFolPath to zFol as text

set zFolList to list folder zFol

set theList to zFolList

set zFolList to sortedList

set zFiles to {}

repeat with zz in zFolList

set zzz to (zFolPath & zz) as alias

copy zzz to the end of zFiles

end repeat

repeat with i in zFiles

set zName to name of i

set AppleScript's text item delimiters to "_"

set zRoot to text item 1 of zName

if RegVerRoots contains zRoot then

set jFileName to zRoot & ".pdf"

set j to (regVerPath & jFileName) as alias

set i to i as alias

set pairList to {j, i}

copy pairList to the end of filePairsList

end if

end repeat

end repeat

--if Version Proofs is empty merge files in filePairsList

if verProofsList is {} then

repeat with v in filePairsList

set regFile to item 1 of v

set verFile to item 2 of v

set doc1 to name of regFile

set doc2 to name of verFile

my mergeFiles(regFile, verFile, doc1, doc2, verProofsFol)

end repeat

else

set verProofsRootList to {}

repeat with q in verProofsList

set qRoot to text item 1 of q

copy qRoot to the end of verProofsRootList

end repeat

end if

--compare files in pair list to files in "Version Proofs"

set finalPairsList to {}

repeat with n in filePairsList

set regFile to item 1 of n

set regFileName to name of regFile

set suffixFile to item 2 of n

set suffixFileName to name of suffixFile as string

(*set offset1 to offset of "_" in suffixFileName

set offset2 to (offset of "." in suffixFileName) - 1

set theString to ""

set theSuffix to characters offset1 thru offset2 of suffixFileName

repeat with i in theSuffix

set theString to theString & i

end repeat

set regFileRoot to text item 1 of regFileName

set AppleScript's text item delimiters to oldDelim*)

if verProofsList contains suffixFileName then

set modDate2 to modification date of item 2 of n

set verFile to suffixFile

set verModDate to modification date of verFile

if (modDate2 > verModDate) then

set n to n as list

copy n to the end of finalPairsList

end if

else

set n to n as list

end if

end repeat

repeat with v in finalPairsList

my mergeFiles(regFile, verFile, doc1, doc2, verProofsFol, theMode)

end repeat

activate

display dialog "Script is complete. Please verify that the Version Proofs were saved correctly. Have a nice day!" giving up after 5

end tell

end timeout

on quickSort(theList)

set lesserList to {}

set greaterList to {}

try

set thePivot to theList's first item

repeat with eachItem in theList's rest

if eachItem's contents is less than thePivot then

set lesserList's end to eachItem's contents

else

set greaterList's end to eachItem's contents

end if

end repeat

if lesserList is not {} then set lesserList to quickSort(lesserList)

if greaterList is not {} then set greaterList to quickSort(greaterList)

return lesserList & thePivot & greaterList

on error

return ""

end try

end quickSort

on mergeFiles(regFile, verFile, doc1, doc2, verProofsFol, theMode)

set verFileName to name of verFile & ".pdf"

set verFileRoot to text item 1 of verFileName as string

set vpFileName to ((verProofsFol) & verFileRoot & "VP.pdf") as string

end tell

tell application "Adobe Photoshop CS3"

set regOptions to {class:PDF open options, name:doc1, resolution:300, mode:CMYK, crop page:media box}

set saveOptions to {class:PDF save options, encoding:ZIP, embed color profile:false, PDF compatibility:PDF 13, PDF standard:PDFX1a2001 standard, preserve editing:false}

activate

open regFile as PDF with options regOptions

flatten document doc1

set theHeight to height of document doc1

set theWidth to width of document doc1

set splitList to split channels document doc1

set blackPlate to item 4 of splitList

close blackPlate saving no

if theMode is not "grayscale" then

set verOptions to {class:PDF open options, name:doc2, resolution:300, mode:CMYK, crop page:media box}

open verFile as PDF with options verOptions

flatten document doc2

set splitList2 to split channels document doc2

set cyanPlate2 to item 1 of splitList2

set magPlate2 to item 2 of splitList2

set yellowPlate2 to item 3 of splitList2

close cyanPlate2 saving no

close magPlate2 saving no

close yellowPlate2 saving no

else

set verOptions to {class:PDF open options, mode:grayscale, resolution:300}

flatten document doc2

end if

set newDocProperties to {height:theHeight, width:theWidth, mode:CMYK, resolution:300, initial fill:white, color profile kind:none}

make new document with properties newDocProperties

do action "Merge Files" from "Nasco Prepress"

save document 1 in vpFileName as Photoshop PDF with options saveOptions appending lowercase extension without copying

close document 1 saving no

purge clipboard cache

end tell

end mergeFiles

• 73. Re: Changes to Photoshop CS5 and Applescript
                                                                          Muppet Mark Level 5

Ryan, I don't have all this folder structure and files for me to check your script… However the issue with CS5 & Photoshop is it now likes to be passed strings of file paths rather than finder's alias file specifiers… so at a quick overview I can see you copy i & j as a list pair of aliases to another list filePairsList you later pass these as arguments to your mergeFiles sub-routine… Make items i & j strings instead… and hopefully that should do you…

• 74. Re: Changes to Photoshop CS5 and Applescript
                                                                            ryan135 Level 1

Thanks for the info Mark. Can you specify exactly which statements in the script to change to strings? I certainly appreciate your help. If you have time to look at this, I can send you the file structure and files. You can email me at sherman@enasco.com and I will forward you the information.

Thanks.

Ryan

• 75. Re: Changes to Photoshop CS5 and Applescript
                                                                              Muppet Mark Level 5

I just quickly made the 2 suggested edits where I think your issue may be… Also changed CS3 to CS5 in the sub…

with timeout of 10000 seconds

--select folder to run proofs on

activate

set finalPDFsFolder to choose folder with prompt "Select Final PDF's folder"

set folPath to finalPDFsFolder as text

--list contents of selected folder

set folList to list folder finalPDFsFolder without invisibles

display dialog "Import version file as CMYK or Grayscale?" buttons {"CMYK", "grayscale"}

set theMode to button returned in the result

--if contents don't contain "Regular Version" folder and "Version Proofs" folder and at least one other folder then error

(*repeat with a in folList

set tempFile to (folPath & a) as alias

if file type of tempFile is not "fold" then

end if

end repeat*)

if (count of folList) < 3 then

end if

set tempfolList to {}

repeat with y in folList

set y to y as string

copy y to end of tempfolList

end repeat

if tempfolList does not contain "Approved Regular Version" and tempfolList does not contain "Version Proofs" then

end if

--set up paths to regular and version proof folders

set regVerFol to (folPath & "Approved Regular Version") as alias

set regVerPath to regVerFol as text

set verProofsFol to (folPath & "Version Proofs") as alias

set verProofsPath to verProofsFol as text

--list contents of "Approved Regular Version" folder

set regVerList to list folder regVerFol

set theList to regVerList

set regVerList to sortedList

--make a list of root names of regular version files

set RegVerRoots to {}

repeat with j in regVerList

set jRoot to text item 1 of j

copy jRoot to the end of RegVerRoots

end repeat

--list contents of "Version Proofs" folder

set verProofsList to list folder verProofsFol

set theList to verProofsList

set verProofsList to sortedList

--make a list of the other folders

set verFolList to {}

repeat with x in folList

set x to x as string

if x is not "Regular Version" and x is not "Version Proofs" and x is not "Approved Regular Version" then

copy x to the end of verFolList

end if

end repeat

--list contents of other folders through repeat statement(s)

--compare contents of Approved Regular Version folder to contents of other folder

--if there's a match set the two files as a pair and slap them in a list

set filePairsList to {}

repeat with z in verFolList

set zFol to (folPath & z) as alias

set zFolPath to zFol as text

set zFolList to list folder zFol

set theList to zFolList

set zFolList to sortedList

set zFiles to {}

repeat with zz in zFolList

set zzz to (zFolPath & zz) as alias

copy zzz to the end of zFiles

end repeat

repeat with i in zFiles

set zName to name of i

set zRoot to text item 1 of zName

if RegVerRoots contains zRoot then

set jFileName to zRoot & ".pdf"

set j to (regVerPath & jFileName) as text

set i to i as text

set pairList to {j, i}

copy pairList to the end of filePairsList

end if

end repeat

end repeat

--if Version Proofs is empty merge files in filePairsList

if verProofsList is {} then

repeat with v in filePairsList

my mergeFiles(regFile, verFile, doc1, doc2, verProofsFol)

end repeat

else

set verProofsRootList to {}

repeat with q in verProofsList

set qRoot to text item 1 of q

copy qRoot to the end of verProofsRootList

end repeat

end if

--compare files in pair list to files in "Version Proofs"

set finalPairsList to {}

repeat with n in filePairsList

set regFile to item 1 of n

set regFileName to name of regFile

set suffixFile to item 2 of n

set suffixFileName to name of suffixFile as string

(*set offset1 to offset of "_" in suffixFileName

set offset2 to (offset of "." in suffixFileName) - 1

set theString to ""

set theSuffix to characters offset1 thru offset2 of suffixFileName

repeat with i in theSuffix

set theString to theString & i

end repeat

set regFileRoot to text item 1 of regFileName

set AppleScript's text item delimiters to oldDelim*)

if verProofsList contains suffixFileName then

set modDate2 to modification date of item 2 of n

set verFile to suffixFile

set verModDate to modification date of verFile

if (modDate2 > verModDate) then

set n to n as list

end if

else

set n to n as list

end if

end repeat

repeat with v in finalPairsList

my mergeFiles(regFile, verFile, doc1, doc2, verProofsFol, theMode)

end repeat

activate

display dialog "Script is complete. Please verify that the Version Proofs were saved correctly. Have a nice day!" giving up after 5

end tell

end timeout

on quickSort(theList)

set lesserList to {}

set greaterList to {}

try

set thePivot to theList's first item

repeat with eachItem in theList's rest

if eachItem's contents is less than thePivot then

set lesserList's end to eachItem's contents

else

set greaterList's end to eachItem's contents

end if

end repeat

if lesserList is not {} then set lesserList to quickSort(lesserList)

if greaterList is not {} then set greaterList to quickSort(greaterList)

return lesserList & thePivot & greaterList

on error

return ""

end try

end quickSort

on mergeFiles(regFile, verFile, doc1, doc2, verProofsFol, theMode)

set verFileName to name of verFile & ".pdf"

set verFileRoot to text item 1 of verFileName as string

set vpFileName to ((verProofsFol) & verFileRoot & "VP.pdf") as string

end tell

set regOptions to {class:PDF open options, name:doc1, resolution:300, mode:CMYK, crop page:media box}

set saveOptions to {class:PDF save options, encoding:ZIP, embed color profile:false, PDF compatibility:PDF 13, PDF standard:PDFX1a2001 standard, preserve editing:false}

activate

open regFile as PDF with options regOptions

flatten document doc1

set verOptions to {class:PDF open options, name:doc2, resolution:300, mode:CMYK, crop page:media box}

flatten document doc2

set splitList2 to split channels document doc2

set cyanPlate2 to item 1 of splitList2

set magPlate2 to item 2 of splitList2

set yellowPlate2 to item 3 of splitList2

close cyanPlate2 saving no

close magPlate2 saving no

close yellowPlate2 saving no

else

set verOptions to {class:PDF open options, mode:grayscale, resolution:300}

flatten document doc2

end if

set newDocProperties to {height:theHeight, width:theWidth, mode:CMYK, resolution:300, initial fill:white, color profile kind:none}

make new document with properties newDocProperties

do action "Merge Files" from "Nasco Prepress"

save document 1 in vpFileName as Photoshop PDF with options saveOptions appending lowercase extension without copying

close document 1 saving no

purge clipboard cache

end tell

end mergeFiles

• 76. Re: Changes to Photoshop CS5 and Applescript
                                                                                ryan135 Level 1

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the edits. Applescript now receives an error:

Can't get name of "Macintosh HD:Users:ryansherman:Desktop:Final PDF Files:Approved Regular Version:12PEp007.pdf".

set regFileName to name of regFile  = this is the culprit in the script.

Any suggestion to fix this?

Thanks.

Ryan

• 77. Re: Changes to Photoshop CS5 and Applescript
                                                                                  ryan135 Level 1

Hi Mark,

I did some testing on this, and found out I needed to "set regFile to regFile as string" through the Finder and then "open file regFile as PDF with options regOptions" in Photoshop CS5. Thanks again for all your help!! I appreciate it.

Ryan

activate

set regFile to regFile as string

end tell

open file regFile as PDF with options regOptions

flatten document doc1

set verFile to verFile as string

end tell

open file verFile as PDF with options verOptions

flatten document doc2

• 78. Re: Changes to Photoshop CS5 and Applescript
                                                                                    pe-te

Please send me the fix too!

pe (minus) te (at) web (dot) de

• 79. Re: Changes to Photoshop CS5 and Applescript
                                                                                      GuyJr Level 1

This is the biggest problem Adobe has. They laid off a couple of the wrong people. They should have kept a couple of the OS gurus.

I've had to manually to into the registry to link photoshop, indesign, and illustrator files. Who knows what the links are with droplets. They should just work!

But uninstalling all the apps, running a goofy little utility that never should have been created in the first place, then reinstalling all the apps is NOT the signature of a class operation.

1 2 Previous Next