• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Multi-Language Project Updates and Translations (RH11)

Explorer ,
Nov 17, 2014 Nov 17, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a several projects that are multi-language. One in particular is translated in 20 different languages. Based on RoboHelp's suggested method for creating projects in multi-languages, I created the topics first in English, then made a copy of each topic selecting the desired language in the properties. However, now when the software changes, I have to make the same changes 20 times and it's very time consuming. My translators don't have RoboHelp so I can't send them the English and their language file for comparison and have them make the changes. Does anyone have any suggestions on simplifying this process?

In addition, when I send the .html files to the translators, I ask them to use Notepad, WordPad, or some other HTML editor to retain the formatting, links, etc. If they use Word, I loose all this information and have to copy and paste their text which is also time consuming. Has anyone had success with files translated in Word?  What application is recommended for translating .html files?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don’t think that’s standard localization practice – most people I’ve heard talk about it have translators that have copies of the software & employ translation memories so that they only have to translate what’s changed after the initial work is done.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What do you mean by "employ translation memories"?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They take your English content, translate it into whatever languages you want and save the originals. Then the next time you give them the English content, they compare it with the original on file & only concentrate on what changes have been made, thus saving all the expense of translating the entire set over again. TRADOS is one of the big names out there – see http://www.sdl.com/products/sdl-trados-studio/ for their explanation of “translation memory”

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have one translator that uses TRADOS but because the English content contains conditional tags that don't apply to that language, that process may not work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I’m pretty sure conditional tags can be handled by the software too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp